Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The result of a visit to the post office

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunstan Hillwell View Post
    Now I'm not so sure anymore. I'm not exactly sure either, what a proper 'Cumberland' stem is made of. I imagined that it was some of vulcanite, but it doesn't smell like vulcanite. I just subjected it to the denture test and it doesn't fell like acrylic at all. It does have that vulcanite feel, i.e. no plastic against plastic.
    The conclusion must be... A genuine 'Cumberland stem.
    Brindle/Cumberland stems are made from two or more different colors of rubber swirled or streaked together. You can see the same sort of thing with acrylics, but there's usually a visual difference as well as a tactile one. On brindle material, the demarcation between one color and another will be fairly stark. Whereas, acrylic stems may do that for the most part, but they tend to also have areas that sort of fade from one color to another. Yours appears to be acrylic to me, but it's difficult to say for sure from just one photo.

There are lots of different types of acrylics in use for stems and they don't all have the same feel. Some are glass-like, while others are more rubbery.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Thanks for enlightening us, Anthony!
    I'm certain jesper's stem is Cumberland though. I was looking at the Danish Pipe Shops photos of the same pipe. Definitely looked like a Cumberland stem. They had quite a few Christmas pipes, recently. In the original Christmas presentation box from the 80s to the early 00s. Along with a tin of tobacco from the same year.
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Real Name
    Jesper Nielsen
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Thanks for your reply, Anthony.
    In tabaco veritas et fumo ergo sum
    (Masperius the Elder)

Real Name
    Jesper Nielsen
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    I'm certain jesper's stem is Cumberland though. I was looking at the Danish Pipe Shops photos of the same pipe. Definitely looked like a Cumberland stem. They had quite a few Christmas pipes, recently. In the original Christmas presentation box from the 80s to the early 00s. Along with a tin of tobacco from the same year.
    ...and Red Orlik it was.
    (Masperius the Elder)

Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Køre Jesper, jeg sendte dig en mail på det andet forum om fotografering af mine piber. Hvis du gider,det kunne være hyggeligt. Som sagt, en ubrugt BBB
    Best make squat bulldog for ulejligheden - som du jo så kan lave en ny tråd med.
    Jørgen 33 31 73 81

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    Could be, Simon. I can only go by what I see and, as I said before, it's hard to say for sure from one photo. Maybe Jesper could provide some more photos of the stem to put the debate to rest.

Here are a couple of Cumberland stems for comparison:

COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I had a closer look on a Peterson the other day and then I noticed that what I thought was Cumberland was acrylic.
    A Cumberland coloured acrylic stem it was-

Real Name
    Jesper Nielsen
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Jensen View Post
    Køre Jesper, jeg sendte dig en mail på det andet forum om fotografering af mine piber. Hvis du gider,det kunne være hyggeligt. Som sagt, en ubrugt BBB
    Best make squat bulldog for ulejligheden - som du jo så kan lave en ny tråd med.
    Jørgen 33 31 73 81
    Kære Jørgen, jeg fik en mail om, at din besked var kommet og loggede mig paa for at læse den. Jeg fik saa at vide, at der ikke var nogen besked, hvorpaa jeg ventede noget tid, men fik samme besked.
    Jeg sendte dig saa en PB i dette forum, men fik en historie om, at du havde valgt ikke at modtage beskeder eller noget lignende. Beskeden gik ihvertfald ikke igennem.
    Jeg vil gerne fotografere din pibesamling og du har ret, det kunne være hyggeligt; du behøver ikke at give mig noget for det, men paa den anden side, en BBB kan jeg altsaa ikke modstaa og der vil blive lavet en traad om den.
    Jeg er ikke saa god til det der med at tale i telefon; hver gang, jeg har lagt røret, synes jeg, at jeg har glemt halvdelen af samtalen.
    Ville du være ked af, at sende mig en mail i stedet for..? Min adresse er: jern(snabela)masper.org.
    (Masperius the Elder)

Real Name
    Jesper Nielsen
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    Could be, Simon. I can only go by what I see and, as I said before, it's hard to say for sure from one photo. Maybe Jesper could provide some more photos of the stem to put the debate to rest.
    Here are the stem shots. My stem does not appear quite as well-defined as your Dunhill stems; more sort of woolly.

Stem 01.jpg
    Stem 02.jpg
    Stem 03.jpg
    Stem 04.jpg

Last edited by Dunstan Hillwell; 06-10-2018 at 23:03.
    (Masperius the Elder)

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Dunstan Hillwell View Post
    Here are the stem shots. My stem does not appear quite as well-defined as your Dunhill stems; more sort of woolly.
    Based on these photos, I would like to change my vote to the brindle AKA Cumberland party.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast