Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Two Stanwell Danish Sovereigns Shapes 05, and 35.

Off the Starboard Beam, Just Over the Horizon!
    Real Name
    John
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Aye Dave, Ye 'as made a nice plunder in Ye quest! I await the results o Mr Cook's treatment with great anticipation!! Mr Cook be a wizard wit them pipe restores he do... If I could only get 'I'm to conjure up a remedy fer me own restorations... He be in a league o few wit 'is skills... Huzzah Mr Cook, Huzzah! No pressure applied er intended... cheers.gif
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to sail her by." - John Masefield

"It is not that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better." — Sir Francis Drake, Sea Captain

Proud Member of the Walrus Club

Visit http://www.reserectedpipes.wordpress.com

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Flattery will get you everywhere, John.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Jesper Nielsen
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    I understand, Jesper, but the pipes are currently in my care. So, I'm explaining why I can't do that sort of thing, even though it's what Dave would like. I'm okay with making alterations that would generally be regarded as improvements to the pipe, but removing a logo from a stem or stummel is just reductive. I'm capable of doing so, but I'm not comfortable with it.
    That's the age-old problem/question again. I'm not talking of the case in hand, but more in general. Should an artist (architect/painter/pipe restorer) go against his or her principles and ideas of how the work is to be executed to satisfy a client, who is actually paying for the job and who may have special wishes and ideas of the final product..?
    There really is no right answer to that question and often the work ends up as a certain amount of compromises.
    A case in hand; the Opera House in Copenhagen, a battle between the famous architect Henning Larsen and the famous shipowner Mærsk McKinney Møller; both opinionated persons. The Opera House is now finished and it's not the most beautiful building in Copenhagen.
    Please excuse my ramblings, I just find it an interesting question.

In tabaco veritas et fumo ergo sum
    (Masperius the Elder)

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Speaking in a general sense and only from my own perspective, the "right" answer to the question is clear as long we understand which pieces of the puzzle belong to whom. The pipe belongs to the client. The work belongs to me. If those two pieces don't fit together, they're just not part of the same picture. That's why there's more than one guy working in the business.

Compromises do get made, of course, but they are usually compromises of omission. Sometimes, I can't do everything that I'd like, but I have to be proud of the work that is done. For example, I worked on a very nice, collectible pipe a while back that had a stem that was atrocious due to a previous sloppy repair that was impossible to fix. Now, in my perfect world, the pipe would have gotten a new stem. However, the client was unable or unwilling to pay for it. So, I worked only with what I had in hand. I regret that I was unable to restem the pipe, because I think it would have been a better piece overall if I had, but I have no regrets about the work that I did. That's the important part.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123