Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Blast for Bill!

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

That pipe should smoke great, but I do question the finish. If you've got some particularly visible pockmarks after blasting why would you pick a color that emphasizes them? I agree with Dave (as usual) that once she darkens from smoking she'll be a beaut.
    Billy
    --------
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Congrats, Simon. That pipe's bad side was going to look lackluster no matter whether it was smooth or blasted. I think the results of the blast are at least moderately more interesting in this example than if it had been left smooth. Either way, the pipe should smoke just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    Interesting colour for the finish.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyPM View Post
    That pipe should smoke great, but I do question the finish. If you've got some particularly visible pockmarks after blasting why would you pick a color that emphasizes them?
    The pipe looks like it's au naturale to me.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

The pipe looks like it's au naturale to me.
    I gave it a brief though but if you check the inside of the pipe rim in pics 1 & 2 you should be able to notice some of the finish. Also on the right side there are some nasty looking pits which are very dark in colour the bulk of the time. I'm still on the finish side of the fence.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    I gave it a brief though but if you check the inside of the pipe rim in pics 1 & 2 you should be able to notice some of the finish. Also on the right side there are some nasty looking pits which are very dark in colour the bulk of the time. I'm still on the finish side of the fence.
    I don't see what you're seeing inside the rim, Bill. I've got a big box o' blasted pipes without a finish and they all have the same color as Simon's example. Pits are often dark and pithy. They develop from stress and the wood surrounding them isn't healthy. That box should have a few examples of that as well. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I would have loved to own Simons pipe. In 1976 in the days around my 28 years birthday the madam and I were in the fine F&T shop. There was a sale
    going on with many reject stamped pipes. Problems, I was young and bashful and my English not the best so I did not buy anything.Later my brother in law bought me a blasted Sansegal grade Canadian in that shop. I managed to spoil the shank of that pipe all by myself.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Jensen View Post
    I would have loved to own Simons pipe. In 1976 in the days around my 28 years birthday the madam and I were in the fine F&T shop. There was a sale
    going on with many reject stamped pipes. Problems, I was young and bashful and my English not the best so I did not buy anything.
    Oh dear, at least you got inside the shop. I had to walk past 'Astleys' because the girl I was with at the time dragged me away. Alas, too late now. Both shops long gone.
    Here's a photo of the F&T shop in its prime. 'Tobacconists to his majesty the King & his royal highness the duke of Cambridge'.

image.jpg

It's a dolls shop now.

image.jpg

Of no interest to me, might be to Jesper though. 'Exciting' company for his teddy bears perhaps.
    Last edited by Simon G; 06-10-2018 at 12:33.
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    Here's a photo of the F&T shop in its prime. 'Tobacconists to his majesty the King & his royal highness the duke of Cambridge'.

image.jpg
    I noticed the bicycle to the lower left in the photo. Free delivery of your favorite tobacco, perhaps?
    Russ

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

There is no pipe.
    -A Zen teaching

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Here you go, guys. This is a handful of pipes from the box that I mentioned. No finish on these whatsoever; straight from the blasting cabinet to your eyeballs...

Now, Simon's pipe has probably been buffed and waxed, which will bring up the color somewhat. A better example of that would be my Morgan Bones...

COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

Regrading the dark pits, see here...

... and, especially this monstrosity...

Notice how the wood in the pits is a darker color; almost like rot. I'm sure you've seen the same sort of thing in other woods that have been damaged (worms, for example) or diseased during growth. I've cleaned most of the soft, pithy wood out of the pits in these examples, but the darkened skin on surface of the "good wood" still remains.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

I concede.

That pit looks to me like a sprout knot. The stuff you scraped away is what I call pith wood, using the "th" strategically.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast