Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Good Pipe Tobaccos for Newcomer

  1. #1
    PSU Member Cigar & Pipe Connoisseur's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    All Over The World
    Real Name
    Kim (Brandon)
    Posts
    52


    6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Good Pipe Tobaccos for Newcomer

    I have just found that there are variety of pipe tobaccos compared to cigars and want to know what are the good pipe tobaccos for cigar smoker (Aromatic, Virginia, English, etc). There are some Samuel Gawith, MacBaren tobaccos in my local B&M (other larger stores have more selections though) by the way.
    Last edited by Cigar & Pipe Connoisseur; 06-11-2018 at 07:34.

  2. #2
    Moderator Brooklin Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Pickering, Ont. Canada
    Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since
    1970
    Posts
    8,383


    6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    1 of each maybe 4 or 5 different tobaccos until you see which ones you prefer.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

  3. #3
    Moderator jimbo44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    North Yorkshire, UK
    Pipe smoker since
    1960
    Posts
    10,387


    8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    If you can visit the stores, smelling the contents of jars will give you an indication of which types you may like.

    English blends containing Latakia are very smoky and taste like they smell; Virginia blends have much less smell (but a very pleasant one); aromatics can smell very nice but rarely taste as good as they smell.

    As Bill says, try and get some small samples of each type.

    This site will tell you of what tobaccos most proprietary blends comprise:

    http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/browse
    Last edited by jimbo44; 06-11-2018 at 15:46.
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

  4. #4
    PSU Member coalsmoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Just another small town in Ohio
    Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back
    Posts
    5,991


    7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Might I also suggest making notes concerning the various tobaccos that make up the blends that you try as well. You will find out through sampling just what components that you like. As an example, you may or may not like Burley, Perique, or Virginia, prefer aromatic to unflavored tobacco, etc. Once you find a base component that you like, you can then sample tobaccos that have more of it. If you have any questions, Kim, just ask. We're here to help each other on your pipe smoking journey.
    Russ

    After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

  5. #5
    Moderator Brooklin Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Pickering, Ont. Canada
    Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since
    1970
    Posts
    8,383


    8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    I should have also mentioned Tobacco Reviews website which can keep a person occupied for many hours.

    Have a look http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/browse
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

  6. #6
    PSU Member Scottishgaucho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Provincia de Buenos Aires
    Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972
    Posts
    1,571


    7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Kind of impossible to answer really....for me anyway as I've never been a cigar smoker.

    In Argentina the choices available are pretty limited and ordering tobacco from outside the country isn't wise as the chances are you'll never receive it. What I usually do first is check what's available to purchase then research the blends online. Anything with Latakia in it is automatically discarded....it's surprising how many blends here have Latakia in them. Aromatics with Vanilla Whisky Cherry etc etc are discarded as well...I used to smoke them but my taste in tobacco has changed over the years. Virginia blends are usually what I go for which cuts down the choices available to me even more. After that it's a case of trying them to see if I want to buy them again or not. I personally like strong tobacco whereas some people don't. In the end it's very much down to personal choice.

    Price isn't necessarily an indicator of quality or whether you'll like it. I buy artisan produced twist here at almost a fifth of the price of well known brands yet I like it the best.

  7. #7


    7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Virginia - straight (VA) -or with Perique (VaPer) -or toss in some Burley (VaBur) -or mix 'em all (VaPerBur)...these four tobacco blends is all you'll ever need. And leave out the sauce please. (Aro)

    The thing is that's just me. And just from the above list you'll find many blends. Red VAs - sweet and tart but can bite. Brown VAs are more earthy in flavor. Bright VAs, lemons, etc., etc...and 100's of brands and blends if not more.

    Pipedia has much info.

    https://pipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_Tobaccos

    +1 to visiting a pipe and tobacco shop if possible. Sadly, many are disappearing but if you have one nearby it's a must.
    +1 to Tobacco reviews.

    Just remember tastes are subjective and what I like might not be for you. And what you might like now may change over time. You may love Latakia, I can't stand the stinky weed although at one time I liked it and smoked it regularly, go figure. Now I look at tins and jars of tobacco with Latakia in my cellar and cringe at the thought that not only do I not like them anymore, but how good they'd be by now if they were Virginias.

    I used to smoke a lot of cigars. There was a time I had a stogie crammed in my mug most of the working day. There are pipe tobacco blends with cigar leaf but the one I've found that hits home when I get that cigar craving is Pure Semois. You're mileage may very.

    http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/...il-la-brumeuse

  8. #8
    PSU Member PyrateMate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Off the Starboard Beam, Just Over the Horizon!
    Real Name
    John
    Pipe smoker since
    1972
    Posts
    3,062


    4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Aye Kim, I see Ye 'as begun pursuit in the form o a quest fer the right baccy in which to wile the cold evenins and hot days ahead... The journey be the best part o the pursuit, as Ye will find as Ye go. Embrace it and continue forth. It will be worth the travels Ye take and Ye may find some surprises and made some new friends along the way! Now get Ye a ration o the Capt's rum, light up a new blend, sit back and njoy the ride! cheers.gif 2.cents.gif
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to sail her by." - John Masefield

    "It is not that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better." Sir Francis Drake, Sea Captain

    Proud Member of the Walrus Club

    Visit http://www.reserectedpipes.wordpress.com

  9. #9
    PSU Member Cigar & Pipe Connoisseur's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    All Over The World
    Real Name
    Kim (Brandon)
    Posts
    52


    3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    1 of each maybe 4 or 5 different tobaccos until you see which ones you prefer.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo44 View Post
    If you can visit the stores, smelling the contents of jars will give you an indication of which types you may like.

    English blends containing Latakia are very smoky and taste like they smell; Virginia blends have much less smell (but a very pleasant one); aromatics can smell very nice but rarely taste as good as they smell.

    As Bill says, try and get some small samples of each type.

    This site will tell you of what tobaccos most proprietary blends comprise:

    http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/browse
    Quote Originally Posted by coalsmoke View Post
    Might I also suggest making notes concerning the various tobaccos that make up the blends that you try as well. You will find out through sampling just what components that you like. As an example, you may or may not like Burley, Perique, or Virginia, prefer aromatic to unflavored tobacco, etc. Once you find a base component that you like, you can then sample tobaccos that have more of it. If you have any questions, Kim, just ask. We're here to help each other on your pipe smoking journey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgaucho View Post
    Kind of impossible to answer really....for me anyway as I've never been a cigar smoker.

    In Argentina the choices available are pretty limited and ordering tobacco from outside the country isn't wise as the chances are you'll never receive it. What I usually do first is check what's available to purchase then research the blends online. Anything with Latakia in it is automatically discarded....it's surprising how many blends here have Latakia in them. Aromatics with Vanilla Whisky Cherry etc etc are discarded as well...I used to smoke them but my taste in tobacco has changed over the years. Virginia blends are usually what I go for which cuts down the choices available to me even more. After that it's a case of trying them to see if I want to buy them again or not. I personally like strong tobacco whereas some people don't. In the end it's very much down to personal choice.

    Price isn't necessarily an indicator of quality or whether you'll like it. I buy artisan produced twist here at almost a fifth of the price of well known brands yet I like it the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
    Virginia - straight (VA) -or with Perique (VaPer) -or toss in some Burley (VaBur) -or mix 'em all (VaPerBur)...these four tobacco blends is all you'll ever need. And leave out the sauce please. (Aro)

    The thing is that's just me. And just from the above list you'll find many blends. Red VAs - sweet and tart but can bite. Brown VAs are more earthy in flavor. Bright VAs, lemons, etc., etc...and 100's of brands and blends if not more.

    Pipedia has much info.

    https://pipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_Tobaccos

    +1 to visiting a pipe and tobacco shop if possible. Sadly, many are disappearing but if you have one nearby it's a must.
    +1 to Tobacco reviews.

    Just remember tastes are subjective and what I like might not be for you. And what you might like now may change over time. You may love Latakia, I can't stand the stinky weed although at one time I liked it and smoked it regularly, go figure. Now I look at tins and jars of tobacco with Latakia in my cellar and cringe at the thought that not only do I not like them anymore, but how good they'd be by now if they were Virginias.

    I used to smoke a lot of cigars. There was a time I had a stogie crammed in my mug most of the working day. There are pipe tobacco blends with cigar leaf but the one I've found that hits home when I get that cigar craving is Pure Semois. You're mileage may very.

    http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/...il-la-brumeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by PyrateMate View Post
    Aye Kim, I see Ye 'as begun pursuit in the form o a quest fer the right baccy in which to wile the cold evenins and hot days ahead... The journey be the best part o the pursuit, as Ye will find as Ye go. Embrace it and continue forth. It will be worth the travels Ye take and Ye may find some surprises and made some new friends along the way! Now get Ye a ration o the Capt's rum, light up a new blend, sit back and njoy the ride!
    Sorry for late reply! Thanks for giving advice, I actually visited tobacco reviews before asking here but want to have some good advice from here :-). Seems that natural tobaccos like Virginia will do a job for me since I prefer natural taste rather than artificial additives (never been a fan of additives all the time, reason why I prefer premium cigars over cheapo machine made cigars for cigar smoking). Unfortunately, I have not seen shops that sells pipe tobaccos in jars other than tins, etc in Malaysia yet (does not seem allow me to smell tobaccos unlike cigars).

    By the way, there are different cuts of pipe tobacco such as flake, plug. What are the differences in terms of cuts (flake would do a job for beginners like me)?
    Last edited by Cigar & Pipe Connoisseur; 06-12-2018 at 05:10.

  10. #10
    PSU Member Slowroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Northeast PA
    Real Name
    Steve
    Pipe smoker since
    1965
    Posts
    704


    6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Since you're a cigar smoker, as I was, and still occasionally, I recommend something like MacBaren HH Old Dark Fired. It's mostly dark fired Kentucky and Virginia. It is reminiscent of the full heavy taste of a good cigar without really tasting like a cigar.
    www.custompipestems.com pipe stems replaced, designed and modified

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •