Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good Pipe Tobaccos for Newcomer

PSU Member Cigar & Pipe Connoisseur's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kim (Brandon)

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
    That's a deep dark secret and nobody in the club can speak of it.

Just kidding. Most of the online pipe and tobacco shops have an email notification system that alerts you when something comes in stock. But depending on the popularity of the brand, and Esoterica is high on the list, you still need a quick trigger finger to get them. If you miss out, just get back on the list and hope for better luck next time. What also works well and maybe even better depending on what part of the world you're in is to visit a real brick and mortar pipe shop. Call or better yet pay 'em a visit, you never know what you're going to find. Luck and persistence pays off, whether or not the tobacco lives up to the hype only you can decide.
    Seems like it is just a matter of luck and availability of stocks for getting rare blends like Esoterica which is same as getting rare regular production Cuban cigars that are manufactured in extremely small quantities (need to wait at least five years if I missed them or permanently give up when they are become discontinued) . I will try to contact with pipe shops such as smokingpipes or local B&M as you suggest.

Real Name
    Steve
    Pipe smoker since

Can't help with finding Esoterica, but maybe good cigars. All the years I spent traveling in Europe on business and vacations people would frequently offer me a Cuban cigar, so I tried quite a few. None, not a one, was as good as a Dominican premium cigar. The Cubans taste like horsecrap and splinters compared to Dominican. IMO,, depending one's taste, Arturo Fuente or Partagas are fabulous. Of course, the reason is because all the old families left Cuba and set up in the Dominican Republic.
    www.custompipestems.com pipe stems replaced, designed and modified

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowroll View Post
    Can't help with finding Esoterica, but maybe good cigars. All the years I spent traveling in Europe on business and vacations people would frequently offer me a Cuban cigar, so I tried quite a few. None, not a one, was as good as a Dominican premium cigar. The Cubans taste like horsecrap and splinters compared to Dominican. IMO,, depending one's taste, Arturo Fuente or Partagas are fabulous. Of course, the reason is because all the old families left Cuba and set up in the Dominican Republic.
    I have smoked good Havanas, great Havanas, and so-so Cubans. Ditto with Dominicans. Honduras and Nicaragua are closer in flavor to a good Havana than Dominican IMO. At least they were the last time I smoked them. Dominican cigars always had a bitterness to me that I didn't like. Padron vs Fuente, gimme a Padron please. As tastes are subjective, YMMV.

My father smoked cigars. Some of the best cigars I ever smoked were clear Havanas that he had. That is a cigar rolled in the US with Cuban leaf. No name, rough looking wrappers, heavenly smoke.

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

This is my father's Upmann jar...

...and it's where he stored his clear Havanas. He smoked Uppies on special occasions and King Edward's were in his pocket and/or jaw all day. When Kennedy hoarded all the Petite Upmanns from Cuba before he signed off on the embargo, well let's just say my Dad was probably the most pissed off I ever saw him. Once my father's small supply of Havanas were all smoked up he resorted to clear Havanas for his special smokes. The first two cigars I ever smoked were a Petite Upmann Havana, and a clear Havana that was a little larger. I'll never forget it.

Real Name
    Steve
    Pipe smoker since

As you say, YMMV. i never had a Cuban I liked, and I never knew a Cuban smoker who didn't like any Fuente I offered. Cubans to me taste like a barn fire, but I find Dominican Fuentes to be very smooth with a rich flavor.
    www.custompipestems.com pipe stems replaced, designed and modified

As you say, YMMV.
    On that we can agree

Real Name
    Kim (Brandon)

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

As you say, YMMV. i never had a Cuban I liked, and I never knew a Cuban smoker who didn't like any Fuente I offered. Cubans to me taste like a barn fire, but I find Dominican Fuentes to be very smooth with a rich flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
    On that we can agree

I myself prefer Cubans a lot since they give complexity with excellent taste even in small formats such as Petit Coronas.
    Last edited by Cigar & Pipe Connoisseur; 06-17-2018 at 06:11.

Real Name
    Angel
    Pipe smoker since
    Started today!

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

This thread went from pipe tobacco for newbies to cigars. I smoked cigars for 6 months and inhaled. Jesus what an idiot I was. That was almost 4 years ago. I think pipe tobacco is far better than any cigar I ever tasted. But thats just me.
    In the light of eternity, nothing really matters except my Stanwell. S

Real Name
    Kim (Brandon)

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Wizard View Post
    This thread went from pipe tobacco for newbies to cigars. I smoked cigars for 6 months and inhaled. Jesus what an idiot I was. That was almost 4 years ago. I think pipe tobacco is far better than any cigar I ever tasted. But thats just me.
    Whoosh! Never inhale pipe and cigar smokes since they are alkaline (and mean to be savoured) unlike cigarette smoke which is acidic (I have never smoked cigarettes but I can say cigars and pipes are far miles better than cigarettes!). Sorry for late reply as I was extremely busy for long time (exams are annoying as anti tobacco nazis) .
    Last edited by Cigar & Pipe Connoisseur; 08-25-2018 at 11:23.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123