Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Pipe Tobaccos for Newcomer

PSU Member Cigar & Pipe Connoisseur's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kim (Brandon)

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowroll View Post
    Since you're a cigar smoker, as I was, and still occasionally, I recommend something like MacBaren HH Old Dark Fired. It's mostly dark fired Kentucky and Virginia. It is reminiscent of the full heavy taste of a good cigar without really tasting like a cigar.
    Thanks! I will add it to my pipe tobacco collection since it seems to remind me the taste of a good cigar.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Jonathan
    Pipe smoker since
    On and off for 43 years

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I would start with English or Oriental style tobaccos. I started with the OTC Aromatics back in the early 70's and almost burned my mouth out and was going to quit pipes all together untill I found out about the English Style of tobaccos. Try Penzance!!!!

Jon

Real Name
    Steve
    Pipe smoker since

Now that's a hell of a thing to tell the man! Whereinhell is he going to get Penzance?

A good start for available tobac that's English style would be Sam Gawith Skiff.
    www.custompipestems.com pipe stems replaced, designed and modified

Real Name
    Kim (Brandon)

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Now that's a hell of a thing to tell the man! Whereinhell is he going to get Penzance?

A good start for available tobac that's English style would be Sam Gawith Skiff.
    I am just getting deeper and deeper to pipes as well as cigars and found good tobaccos like Penzance, Westminster, Gaslight, etc!! I heard that Esoterica Tobacciana is one of the tobaccos that are most difficult to find (Same goes on Cuban cigars such as Saint Luis Rey, La Gloria Cubana, 898 of Partagas and so on), any good idea to source them?

Real Name
    Kim (Brandon)

Quote Originally Posted by etecjon View Post
    I would start with English or Oriental style tobaccos. I started with the OTC Aromatics back in the early 70's and almost burned my mouth out and was going to quit pipes all together untill I found out about the English Style of tobaccos. Try Penzance!!!!

Jon
    I am definitely get into English tobaccos as well as Penzance!!! I also found good tobaccos from G L Pease such as Gaslight, Westminster, JackKnife and Triple Play Plugs, Quiet Nights, Sixpence too :-)

Real Name
    Kim (Brandon)

I just off the Boveda pack from the list and wonder the pipe tobacco storage in mason jars. Also, what do I have to do when I open the mason jar with tobacco after several years (I do not smoke a lot so do not know what to do)??

Real Name
    Steve
    Pipe smoker since

Take some out to smoke, then screw the blue back on
    www.custompipestems.com pipe stems replaced, designed and modified

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

I buy individual 50g tins that I want to age and just leave them unopened in the tin. When I want to smoke it, I usually then transfer the tobacco into a small Mason jar just to keep it from drying out while it's in my rotation.
    Russ

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

There is no pipe.
    -A Zen teaching

Real Name
    Kim (Brandon)

Take some out to smoke, then screw the blue back on
    Quote Originally Posted by coalsmoke View Post
    I buy individual 50g tins that I want to age and just leave them unopened in the tin. When I want to smoke it, I usually then transfer the tobacco into a small Mason jar just to keep it from drying out while it's in my rotation.
    Thanks!! For mason jars, I think I would use Ball Collection Elite Wide Mouth Half-Pint and wonder will 50g~2oz tin pipe tobacco fit into this jar (Flake, Plug, etc)?
    Last edited by Cigar & Pipe Connoisseur; 06-15-2018 at 17:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar & Pipe Connoisseur View Post
    I heard that Esoterica Tobacciana is one of the tobaccos that are most difficult to find (Same goes on Cuban cigars such as Saint Luis Rey, La Gloria Cubana, 898 of Partagas and so on), any good idea to source them?
    That's a deep dark secret and nobody in the club can speak of it.

Just kidding. Most of the online pipe and tobacco shops have an email notification system that alerts you when something comes in stock. But depending on the popularity of the brand, and Esoterica is high on the list, you still need a quick trigger finger to get them. If you miss out, just get back on the list and hope for better luck next time. What also works well and maybe even better depending on what part of the world you're in is to visit a real brick and mortar pipe shop. Call or better yet pay 'em a visit, you never know what you're going to find. Luck and persistence pays off, whether or not the tobacco lives up to the hype only you can decide.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast