Thread: It's the Thought That Counts

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

14 members Liked or found this post helpful.

It's the Thought That Counts

Yesterday, my oldest sister surprised me with a very nice gift, a six-pipe stand filled with a full complement of old pipes that she found at a local sale.

The walnut stand is very nice. It was made by Duk-It, a well-known American maker of smoking accessories back in the day. It's solid and heavy as hell; the glass of the humidor alone weighs 30oz./845g. No real damage aside from a few small scratches and dents and a section where the wood has delaminated.

The pipes are all of the standard, drugstore fare that's typically found in this area. The standout among them is a late-40s/early-50s Kaywoodie Super Grain that is in good, but definitely used, condition. All except for two of them are easily salvageable.

What makes the gift special to me is that my sister knows nothing of pipes, but she does know that I enjoy working with the old ones. So, when she saw these, she thought of me. It's a wonderful gesture when your family treads into unknown territory to acquire something just for your pleasure. Even if they miss the mark, the effort matters. It truly is the thought that counts.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Thomas

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Nice goin' Sis!
    I can resist anything but temptation--Oscar Wilde

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

Very nice of her to think of you Anthony.

They might be bog standard pipes but I like them.

Real Name
    Benton

9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

That’s a great gift for anyone who enjoys a pipe.
    I’d say she hit the mark.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest."

“The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting any more."
    -Bismark

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

Personally, I can never have enough old pipe furniture. The pipes are intriguing as well. I'm curious about the ones on either end. Is the one on the far right some sort of fruitwood or olive wood?
    Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HCraven View Post
    Personally, I can never have enough old pipe furniture. The pipes are intriguing as well. I'm curious about the ones on either end. Is the one on the far right some sort of fruitwood or olive wood?
    The pipe to the far right is made of hickory, Herb. I don't know who made it because it lacks any stamping or sticker on the bottom, but I do not that H&B, Buescher's and a few others made them. At one time, hickory pipes were about as common in the states as cherry wood pipes, but they both fell out of favor for some reason (the kid in my avatar pic has one). I suppose it was simply the rising costs of wood. This one is unsmoked ... for now.

The wee pipe at the far left is an old, patent-era Medico. It should date to sometime around the late-30s/40s. The top of the chamber has been severely over-reamed. I won't be able to tell about the rest of the chamber until I remove the cake. If the rest of the walls are as thin as the top, it won't be salvageable without major modification, but I've made a promise to myself that these will all be smokeable eventually.

The pipes between them from right to left are a the Kaywoodie Super Grain 20 (4-hole stinger) that I mentioned earlier, a quite nice, straight-grained Yello-Bole Duo-Lined 68 (prince shape), a big ol' Suffolk pot, and a really sad, little Willard dublin with a broken shank and I suspect a glued-in stem.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Nice gift indeed !

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Ya know, Anthony? It really is the thought that counts. Nice rack and it's good that you can make most of them into smokable pipes once again. I've recieved tobacco at Christmas that I would never buy or smoke, but my daughter doesn't know what I like as far as tobacco goes and it was the thought that counted. It's comforting just to know that people think of us.
    Last edited by coalsmoke; 06-26-2018 at 19:03.
    Russ

There is no pipe.
    -A Zen teaching

Real Name
    that is my real name

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

A very nice thought indeed, especially for someone who enjoys older pipes, smokes a pipe, and restores them.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts his sails...William Arthur Ward

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Good show, sister! I like that little prince & the pot.
    I wish my big sis was as thoughtful as yours. All she thinks to give me is grief!
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!