Page 115 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115
Results 1,141 to 1,147 of 1147

Thread: What's in your pipe? July 2018

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Tonight, I have a hankering for some brown twist instead of the usual GH DF. So I've just been shaving some very fine coins from about 8 inches of my stock 2013 GH&Co Brown Bogie (too thin to call it rope) and putting them into a small jar for use over the next few weeks.

I've also put enough aside for a bowl later, gently teased it out and left it on the cutting board; it will be ready in about an hour.

Now smoking 2013 Germain's Rich Dark Flake in a pipe that I'd forgotten is dedicated to RDF (making a total of three). I love this pipe, to me it looks and feels elegant (perhaps in that sense, like a Dunhill "Dress" ?). This 50's regd. Stanwell Fine Briar "Royal Rouge" #278 was virtually mint when I bought it from Dean's shop.

From the pics it looks like it may have an "opera" shape, but doesn't, because the chamber is not oval, despite the bowl itself being oval.

Stan 50's opera.jpg

Stan 50's op 2.jpg
    Last edited by plugugly; Today at 19:09.

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Good Afternoon, Gentlemen! Well, the wife has plans for the car in order to make another grocery store run, so I decided to use my time wisely and give a couple of my pipes a good alcohol swabbing and clean the rims of that nasty gunk build-up. Oh, and I also brought the deck chairs out front and under one of the shady maple trees seeing that we don't have a deck right now. The ol' wicker furniture that we had in that spot started to fall apart, so all that I have to do is load up the loveseat and stick it on the side of the shed for future disposal. Currently smoking a bowl of DDF in the Pete 999, reheated coffee from my last trip out here on the side.
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Probably the last of the day is 2013 GH&Co Brown Bogie in a brown-twist-dedicated 50's Regd. Stanwell Old Briar #582 (feeling the scrutiny of the Great Dane, LOL)

I have had this pipe a few years, but can't remember where I bought it - possibly from Alan Chestnutt. It was this pipe that got me interested in the 50's Stanwells, I now have eight of various shapes and I love them all. They are incredibly light in weight (this one is < 1 Oz, and, with the bend, a featherweight clench).

The GH&Co brown twists/ropes are all pretty much the same, except for their diameter. Brown Irish is the thickest and I favour it because the prep is a bit easier. The black twists are flue-cured for longer and are much stronger in flavour (if you like it!!), but less nic-strong, as the long flue-curing leaches out some of the nicotine. In terms of nic-strength, I would place the brown twists above GH DF but below Gallaher's War Horse Bar - in other words, strong!

What I like most about Brown Bogie/Irish is the pure, sweet Va flavour, with a touch of the flue insinuating itself - gorgeous - but these brown twists are best sipped!

007 (3).jpg
    Last edited by plugugly; Today at 20:51.

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Back from the countryside where I'm glad to say we were able to drive on the dirt road thus saving us the trouble of having to don our wellie boots....the car is caked in mud though.

My cheeky bid for the pipe I mentioned earlier was, as I suspected, rejected by the seller. I have agreed to pay the full asking price which to be fair is still very low if the pipe turns out to be in the condition it looks to be in judging by the pictures. Problem now is, the seller sends his sold items to the buyers using a private company who may charge a ruddy fortune which you have to cough up when you collect it. Not only that you have no idea in advance how much it'll be. My wife once ordered and paid for a 'pan dulce' from a Buenos Aires based seller and when she went to collect it from the courier company office here in town the delivery cost turned out to be more than she paid for the flippin' sweet loaf!!
    Typical Argentina...how you are allowed to sell someone an item and not be forced to tell them in advance how much the delivery cost is going to be is beyond me. So until the seller of the pipe finds out in advance and tells me what the delivery charge is I'm not paying him a peso.

Now calming down with a cappuccino and a bowl of twist.
    Last edited by Scottishgaucho; Today at 20:33.

Real Name
    that is my real name

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

MacBaren ODF ina Custombilt stubby pot.....Great smoke, with a lil Cap'n Morgan on the side
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts his sails...William Arthur Ward

Real Name
    Thomas

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

IMG_3037.JPG

I've been prepping for the weekend making onion dip, cottage cheese w/radices,
    onion and chives from the garden, then Sriracha baked beans slowly simmering
    while the hamburger patties are soaking in the rub.

It's time now for a beer and War Horse in a Savinelli Artisan.
    I can resist anything but temptation--Oscar Wilde

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbass View Post
    IMG_3037.JPG

I've been prepping for the weekend making onion dip, cottage cheese w/radices,
    onion and chives from the garden, then Sriracha baked beans slowly simmering
    while the hamburger patties are soaking in the rub.

It's time now for a beer and War Horse in a Savinelli Artisan.
    As Billy might say: "I want to live at your house," Thomas, at least when the weather cools down!