Page 3 of 196 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: What's in your pipe? July 2018

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    Of the GH blends, I regularly smoke Dark Flake (u/s), Brown Flake (u/s), and Bright CR Flake. Over the past 15 years have never had a problem with 'Lakeland Essence Taint' and I am very sensitive to it

So, either my gustatory gear is inferior or I have become desensitised to LE over the years. Or, most likely, GH deliberately contaminates USA-bound shipments!!
    I've made one purchase of Brown Flake unscented and one purchase of Brown Flake scented. Both were small quantity, bulk purchases for tasting and they were indistinguishable. So, I suspect that the problem may be a labeling error by the retailer. Still, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks
    ...to the topTop

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    I've made one purchase of Brown Flake unscented and one purchase of Brown Flake scented. Both were small quantity, bulk purchases for tasting and they were indistinguishable. So, I suspect that the problem may be a labeling error by the retailer. Still, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...
    If they were indistinguishable there must have been a labeling error, Anthony.

I'll send you some of my 2013 batch - after steeping it in granny's perfume!
    ...to the topTop

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

There's more than a little of the Charatan DNA evidenced in that Upshall, Chris.

I've been scared off of the GH unscented Brown Flake ever since I got a batch that was decidedly not unscented. Mind you, I do enjoy the floral, Lakeland essences, but I don't smoke them nearly as often as the unscented varieties. So, now I kind of shy away from anything that comes in both, because I don't trust them to keep the blends properly separated.
    Here's another early JU pipe that screams "Charatan", Anthony - an ungraded JU "D.S."

Ups apples 2.jpg
    ...to the topTop

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

I have no doubt that a truly unscented version is available both here in the US and abroad, but I also know of others that have experienced the same switch-a-roo. I don't know if there's contamination on the production line, during storage, or if it's just a problem with mislabeling, but I don't want to play Russian roulette when making a purchase.
    You're right, Anthony. Buying an ounce for tasting is really the only way of knowing if the tobacco is scented or not. Recent comments about the Brown Flake (Unscented) on SP indicate that traces of Lakeland are still there.
    Last edited by coalsmoke; 07-01-2018 at 18:16.
    Russ

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

There is no pipe.
    -A Zen teaching
    ...to the topTop

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by coalsmoke View Post
    You're right, Anthony. Buying an ounce for tasting is really the only way of knowing if the tobacco is scented or not. Recent comments about the Brown Flake (Unscented) on SP indicate that traces of Lakeland are still there.
    Haha! They may be "there" but they're not here, not here in Jock land at least!
    ...to the topTop

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Good Afternoon, Friends! It's 90 F/32.2C and soon it'll be time to head into the a/c for some lunch and then I'll grab me ice cream and watch the recorded Spain vs Russia match. Now finishing up a bowl of aged SG SJF in the BBB.
    Russ

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

There is no pipe.
    -A Zen teaching
    ...to the topTop

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    If they were indistinguishable there must have been a labeling error, Anthony.

I'll send you some of my 2013 batch - after steeping it in granny's perfume!
    I quite like Granny Gawith's purfume, but I want to know that's what I'm getting.

The next time the US retailers come into stock, I'll pick up a couple of ounces each of Brown Flake scented and unscented for another comparison. Thinking about it, it really isn't fair to make a judgement on one bad experience. I'll pick up a bit of DF u/s too, since I've stayed away from that one for the same reasons. However, this will only happen after I've significantly stocked up on Best Brown No.2 and Bright CR. Priorities must be maintained.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks
    ...to the topTop

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I quite like Granny Gawith's purfume, but I want to know that's what I'm getting.

The next time the US retailers come into stock, I'll pick up a couple of ounces each of Brown Flake scented and unscented for another comparison. Thinking about it, it really isn't fair to make a judgement on one bad experience. I'll pick up a bit of DF u/s too, since I've stayed away from that one for the same reasons. However, this will only happen after I've significantly stocked up on Best Brown No.2 and Bright CR. Priorities must be maintained.
    Pluggy Quote: "GH&Co Dark Flake (u/s) is a gift from the gods for pipers that love a strong dark evening smoke"
    ...to the topTop

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by coalsmoke View Post
    There's a distinctive GH flavor that's present in almost all of their blends. I wouldn't call it floral, but I can understand how some might interpret it as such. I think some smokers confuse that flavor with Lakeland essence, but it's not the same thing. The essence is powerful and completely undeniable. Once you've been "Lakelanded," you never forget it.

By the way, my favorite review of BF u/s on SP...

"Taking the tobacco like licking prostitute's neck, but very stimulating."

Whatever you say, buddy.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS

...to the topTop

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo44 View Post
    SG FVF in a Briar Spirit (carved from a block supplied, drilled, and stemmed by Chris Askwith):

Attachment 51401
    A lovely looking pipe, Jimbo.
    Marc
    ...to the topTop

Page 3 of 196 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast