Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rattray's in the US

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    With reference to your first point, Corndog, I was scanning the Cup o Joe's site the other day and all SG tobacco was Oos - except 250g packs of FVF and (I think) St J F. So, maybe one of the ways forward will be to increasingly supply UK blends to USA in bulk and avoid the tin problem; although many like tins, I have always preferred bulk, if available for a particular blend.
    Totally agree with bulk. The problem with SG bulk is for those who want to try a small amount a tin is the way to go. Now if you could get a retailer to break open one of those 250g boxes and sell you a smaller amount. I don't know of any baccy sellers in the US that do this like they do with say Peter Stokkebye or Gawith Hoggarth where you can buy as little as one ounce or the whole box.

SG has been in and out of several places lately. BBF, SJF, and FVF. FVF is still in stock in the 250g boxes if you know where to look. Anybody still looking for FVF pm me, it's out there.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    So, maybe one of the ways forward will be to increasingly supply UK blends to USA in bulk and avoid the tin problem; although many like tins, I have always preferred bulk, if available for a particular blend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
    I don't know of any baccy sellers in the US that do this like they do with say Peter Stokkebye or Gawith Hoggarth where you can buy as little as one ounce or the whole box.
    I can see where this sort of thing could become the norm for many pipe tobacco blends both manufactured and imported into the US. The recent court ruling says that B&M blenders cannot be considered manufacturers (as the FDA wanted to define them) since the leaf that they work with is already pre-approved. This may have an effect on bulk sales as well since it stands to reason that re-packaging smaller amounts of large bulk stock is also not manufacturing (again, as the FDA wanted to define it) because it has also been pre-approved.

If the argument holds, bulks could solve a lot of problems in the current environment.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

You can always get a select few Rattray's blends here like Marlin Flake, Black Mallory, Old Gowrie and a couple of others. Sadly Wallace flake and Stirling flake aren't amongst them. Used to love Marlin Flake until I started to get tongue bite from it for some reason.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12