Thread: Nice Work If You Can Get It!

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Nice Work If You Can Get It!

Please open the link. An interesting story.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...iness-44765283

In the photo, my boss can be seen bestowing an honorary doctorate on a female whisky blender. These blenders are worth $$$$$$$. If you think of a bottle of "single malt" (Macallan e.g.), unless the bottle comes from a single cask laid down in a single year (a "single cask" malt - $$$) it is not really a true single malt, rather it is a carefully crafted blend of many single malts from that distillery. Therefore, your regular Macallan needs to taste more or less the same, year after year - the job of the blender, who is guided by the taste of many, many samples from many, many casks.
    Last edited by plugugly; 07-10-2018 at 08:41.

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

And here she is, Nice bit of stuff, The Whisky as well, got a bottle of this at the moment.

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by allyby View Post
    And here she is, Nice bit of stuff, The Whisky as well, got a bottle of this at the moment.

She's got some lovely whiskies to work with, Ally!

In a similar vein, a few years ago, I proposed Martin Wishart, in my view the best chef in Scotland, for an honorary doctorate at Edinburgh University. Below are fragments of the citation I wrote and read out at the graduation ceremony (I was 'bricking it' lol):

".......In November 2012, when he was awarded a Degree of Doctor honoris causa by Edinburgh University; the citation highlights Martin’s “contribution to the raising standards of Scottish cuisine, specifically in Edinburgh, to the international regard it currently holds” and that his work has had a “positive impact on tourism to the city and its reputation as a fine food destination”. In addition, he has “created jobs and provided exceptional, international standard training to talented young chefs”.

Here he is:

Martin Wishart.jpg
    Last edited by plugugly; 07-10-2018 at 11:49.

Back in my drinking days, nothing beat a good Kentucky Bourbon. Booker Noe was my hero.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booker%27s

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    She's got some lovely whiskies to work with, Ally!

In a similar vein, a few years ago, I proposed Martin Wishart, in my view the best chef in Scotland, for an honorary doctorate at Edinburgh University. Below is a fragment of the citation I wrote and read out at the graduation ceremony (I was 'bricking it' lol):

".......In November 2012, when he was awarded a Degree of Doctor honoris causa by Edinburgh University; the citation highlights Martin’s “contribution to the raising standards of Scottish cuisine, specifically in Edinburgh, to the international regard it currently holds” and that his work has had a “positive impact on tourism to the city and its reputation as a fine food destination”. In addition, he has “created jobs and provided exceptional, international standard training to talented young chefs”.

Here he is:

Martin Wishart.jpg
    Yes I've heard Sam speak very highly of Martin Wishart's as well as yourself Chris.

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by allyby View Post
    Yes I've heard Sam speak very highly of Martin Wishart's as well as yourself Chris.
    A Midlothian lad, he is a genius with flavours!

Of course, when I go there now, I can call him "Doc Martin"

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
    Back in my drinking days, nothing beat a good Kentucky Bourbon. Booker Noe was my hero.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booker%27s

Corndog, you might be interested in this bottle (I haven't broken the seal yet!).

When my new Kentuckian Homies-In-Law went back to the US after my son's wedding in December, they left me it as a gift. They told me it was a special Bourbon, but when I saw its value on the internet I nearly fainted!!

Van Winkle.jpg
    Last edited by plugugly; 07-10-2018 at 12:16.