Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Cooling Down My Pipes With A Floor Fan

  1. #1
    PSU Member A.Wizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Wizardland
    Real Name
    Angel
    Pipe smoker since
    Started today!
    Posts
    173


    5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Cooling Down My Pipes With A Floor Fan

    Right now in my area, it has been 95˚-105˚ so I am smoking in the house where it is cool. I use a floor fan pushing around room temprature air, but cool to the touch. Waving my pipes in front of it for a few seconds, or a minuet or so. I feel that the cool air is not going to crack the pipe. So far it is working. Do any of you guys do this too, or is there something bad about cooling them off this way? Thanks guys.
    In the light of eternity, nothing really matters except my Stanwell. S

  2. #2
    PSU Member coalsmoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Just another small town in Ohio
    Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back
    Posts
    6,165


    3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by A.Wizard View Post
    Right now in my area, it has been 95˚-105˚ so I am smoking in the house where it is cool. I use a floor fan pushing around room temprature air, but cool to the touch. Waving my pipes in front of it for a few seconds, or a minuet or so. I feel that the cool air is not going to crack the pipe. So far it is working. Do any of you guys do this too, or is there something bad about cooling them off this way? Thanks guys.
    I just give 'em a break and go out from time to time. Mine seem get hot no matter how slowly I sip them especially at the top of the bowl after I first light up. Normal to me.
    Russ

    There is no pipe.
    -A Zen teaching

  3. #3
    Moderator Markus1970's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Oberhausen, Germany
    Real Name
    Markus Wischermann
    Pipe smoker since
    First pipe smoked in autumn 1996, regular smoker since spring 1997.
    Posts
    1,453


    5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by A.Wizard View Post
    Right now in my area, it has been 95˚-105˚ so I am smoking in the house where it is cool. I use a floor fan pushing around room temprature air, but cool to the touch. Waving my pipes in front of it for a few seconds, or a minuet or so. I feel that the cool air is not going to crack the pipe. So far it is working. Do any of you guys do this too, or is there something bad about cooling them off this way? Thanks guys.
    Hello,

    Just to make sure I get you right: Do you wave the pipes while smoking them, in between puffs? If so I would find it hard to see how this could cool down your pipes. I, for example, am just now sitting in the living-room. The room behind me is the bedroom and I have the window open, with a fan drawing in cooler air from outside and blowing it into the living-room. I and my pipe are protected from the breeze by my armchair's backrest, but if I got up and stepped into the breeze, the pipe would smoke hot and harsh immediately.

    Also, except by drawing in cool air from outside, fans don't have a cooling effect per se, but only make us feel colder by helping sweat evaporate faster. Unless evaporation or, for example a bowl of ice for the breeze to move over*, is involved, the moving air does nothing to cool an object down. So if you wave a pipe in the breeze once you finish smoking, it probably won't hurt, but won't help much either. If the pipe is cleaned beforehand, it will dry out faster in the breeze, and that may be a benefit, but not so much in terms of cooling, only in drying it faster.

    * or bottles of frozen water as shown here: https://www.wikihow.com/Make-an-Easy...-Water-Bottles

    Best wishes
    Markis
    Last edited by Markus1970; 07-14-2018 at 07:41.

  4. #4
    PSU Member Piffyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since
    2014
    Posts
    5,380


    3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Ambient temperature and airflow should be all that you need, Angel, even on hot days. If the pipe needs additional cooling during or directly after smoking, then it's getting too hot. If it's only one pipe that's getting hot, the problem might be the pipe. If it's all of your pipes, the problem is your smoking cadence.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

    www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

  5. #5
    PSU Member A.Wizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Wizardland
    Real Name
    Angel
    Pipe smoker since
    Started today!
    Posts
    173


    3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by coalsmoke View Post
    I just give 'em a break and go out from time to time. Mine seem get hot no matter how slowly I sip them especially at the top of the bowl after I first light up. Normal to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus1970 View Post
    Hello,

    Just to make sure I get you right: Do you wave the pipes while smoking them, in between puffs? If so I would find it hard to see how this could cool down your pipes. I, for example, am just now sitting in the living-room. The room behind me is the bedroom and I have the window open, with a fan drawing in cooler air from outside and blowing it into the living-room. I and my pipe are protected from the breeze by my armchair's backrest, but if I got up and stepped into the breeze, the pipe would smoke hot and harsh immediately.

    Also, except by drawing in cool air from outside, fans don't have a cooling effect per se, but only make us feel colder by helping sweat evaporate faster. Unless evaporation or, for example a bowl of ice for the breeze to move over*, is involved, the moving air does nothing to cool an object down. So if you wave a pipe in the breeze once you finish smoking, it probably won't hurt, but won't help much either. If the pipe is cleaned beforehand, it will dry out faster in the breeze, and that may be a benefit, but not so much in terms of cooling, only in drying it faster.

    * or bottles of frozen water as shown here: https://www.wikihow.com/Make-an-Easy...-Water-Bottles

    Best wishes
    Markis
    Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    Ambient temperature and airflow should be all that you need, Angel, even on hot days. If the pipe needs additional cooling during or directly after smoking, then it's getting too hot. If it's only one pipe that's getting hot, the problem might be the pipe. If it's all of your pipes, the problem is your smoking cadence.
    Ok, lots of good info here, thanks guys. I just don't want to crack any of my hot pipes trying to cool them down. Still learning this stuff even after 3 years, and I'm not shy to ask. lol. Also Russ, I just ordered some Haunted Bookshop for my Freehand. I am going to wait till I get it, before I finish breaking it in. I've only smoked it 3 times so I don't think I need to worry about ghoasting it. If I like bookshop, then I will stick with that only for the cob. Anyway, I am going to start thinking about my smoking cadence Anthony, and try to get into a habit of letting it cool down more between puffs. Markus, "but if I got up and stepped into the breeze, the pipe would smoke hot and harsh immediately."
    Yes, now that you mention it, It did seem like it was getting hotter the more I waved in in front of the fan. Makes sense. Thanks again guys.
    In the light of eternity, nothing really matters except my Stanwell. S

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •