Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Daughters and Ryan

  1. #1
    PSU Member BillyPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    5,929


    7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Daughters and Ryan

    Anybody have experience with this brand? I stumbled across it on SP.com while perusing their top 100 tobaccos (2 of which were D&R) and after a little research decided to pull the trigger on one of their VaPers, Rimboche AP. I like it a lot.

    There seems to be a bunch of heated discussion about pipe tobacco vs RYO. Some say that D&R is just trying to avoid baccy tax by making the cut of their leaf just a smidge bigger than the legal limit for RYO. I've not tried the blends of theirs with actual shag cut, but I will say that what they call "ribbon" cut is certainly wider than say Dark Bird's Eye. And hey- I like shag cut pipe tobacco too. Yes they used to sell RYO and now they don't but so what? If it tastes good in a pipe it's pipe tobacco to me. I guess some people just like to tussle.

    My tin came pretty dry, but not bone dry as some have described. I very lightly humidified it and let it sit for 48 hours or so and it has smoothed out a lot. Which is good since my first few bowls were tasty but extremely peppery. Now the balance is much closer to perfect. I've got another D&R VaPer coming in the mail on Monday, this one Rimboche SJ with real St. James Perique, as opposed to the "Acadian Perique" in the AP version I've got now. The SJ is said by some to be more fruity and less peppery than the AP so I figured I'd give it a go.

    Either way I'm very impressed. My Bayou Morning/Ye Olde Signe homebrew has a clean tasting clarity about it that I find really sensational, but sometimes just I don't want a blend quite that stout. The D&R has much less of a nic hit but is still really full flavored so it slides into my rotation with ease. A great summertime smoke.
    Last edited by BillyPM; 07-14-2018 at 22:30.
    Billy
    --------
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

  2. #2
    PSU Member coalsmoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Just another small town in Ohio
    Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back
    Posts
    6,442


    5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyPM View Post
    Anybody have experience with this brand? I stumbled across it on SP.com while perusing their top 100 tobaccos (2 of which were D&R) and after a little research decided to pull the trigger on one of their VaPers, Rimboche AP. I like it a lot.

    There seems to be a bunch of heated discussion about pipe tobacco vs RYO. Some say that D&R is just trying to avoid baccy tax by making the cut of their leaf just a smidge bigger than the legal limit for RYO. I've not tried the blends of theirs with actual shag cut, but I will say that what they call "ribbon" cut is certainly wider than say Dark Bird's Eye. And hey- I like shag cut pipe tobacco too. Yes they used to sell RYO and now they don't but so what? If it tastes good in a pipe it's pipe tobacco to me. I guess some people just like to tussle.

    My tin came pretty dry, but not bone dry as some have described. I very lightly humidified it and let it sit for 48 hours or so and it has smoothed out a lot. Which is good since my first few bowls were tasty but extremely peppery. Now the balance is much closer to perfect. I've got another D&R VaPer coming in the mail on Monday, this one Rimboche SJ with real St. James Perique, as opposed to the "Acadian Perique" in the AP version I've got now. The SJ is said by some to be more fruity and less peppery than the AP so I figured I'd give it a go.

    Either way I'm very impressed. My Bayou Morning/Ye Olde Signe homebrew has a clean tasting clarity about it that I find really sensational, but sometimes just I don't want a blend quite that stout. The D&R has much less of a nic hit but is still really full flavored so it slides into my rotation with ease. A great summertime smoke.
    Very interesting review on the Rimboche AP, Billy. I've never tried any of Mark's tobacco blends and look forward to your comarrison between the AP and the SJ. I'm always on the hunt for a good, balanced VaPer.
    Russ

    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

    There is no pipe.
    -A Zen teaching

  3. #3


    5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    I've never tried it but know of a few guys that swear by it. And one guy used to be a RYO cig smoker so there's that. All three blends in the Rimboche line get good marks from what I've seen and read. I've got some in my cart at SPC but haven't pulled the trigger yet. If it's half as good as they say it's a bargain in the one pound bags.

  4. #4
    PSU Member Fr_Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Real Name
    Fr. Tom
    Pipe smoker since
    1977
    Posts
    728


    6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    I am on my third pound of Picayune. I am about done with a pound of Three Sails. I like Ryback Gold.
    "Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

  5. #5
    PSU Member BillyPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    5,929


    5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Tom View Post
    I am on my third pound of Picayune. I am about done with a pound of Three Sails. I like Ryback Gold.

    Hey Tom!! How dry do you smoke yours? I'm not sure if the rehydration or tin time has smoothed mine out.
    Billy
    --------
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

  6. #6
    PSU Owner dmcmtk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NY, US
    Real Name
    Dave
    Posts
    8,872


    6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    JimInks sent me some samples (all smoked now), I remember really liking Raccoon's Delight.

    http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/...ccoons-delight

  7. #7
    PSU Member Fr_Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Real Name
    Fr. Tom
    Pipe smoker since
    1977
    Posts
    728


    4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyPM View Post
    Hey Tom!! How dry do you smoke yours? I'm not sure if the rehydration or tin time has smoothed mine out.
    I smoke mine pretty dry and pack it "firmly." I have experimented with hydration, but given the narrow ribbon (or shag in the case of Three Sails), if it gets too moist, it is hard to pack well.

    I really am quite fond of the Picayune.
    "Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

  8. #8
    PSU Member Piffyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since
    2014
    Posts
    5,630


    4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    I've had Ryback, Ryback Gold and Cockstrong. I really enjoy Ryback. There's a nice dark-fired Kentucky flavor running through that one. Ryback Gold is nice enough, but a little too mild in flavor for my taste, especially after experiencing Ryback. Cockstrong is a good and simple, burley-forward blend with a healthy kick to it. The only real downside if you like that sort of thing is that it's maybe a little too simple at times. I found it best when mixed with a bit of Ryback for flavor.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

    www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

  9. #9
    PSU Member BillyPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    5,929


    2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Ok I've gotten some D&R Rimboche SJ (Va and St. James Perique) and some D&R Windsail (ribbon cut golden Va) in the mail and have had a chance to live with them for a bit and compare them with the Rimboche AP I got last week. Here's my take:

    First of all, none of the three are for beginners. There's every chance of heat and bite if you don't have your technique together. They come quite dry, for example, and need a little humidifying, but not too much or the fine ribbons will turn to seaweed. And you need your slow smoking chops on these. Stuff like that. But for the seasoned smoker they are worth a look.-- BTW, I call myself a "seasoned smoker" because the other day I was looking everywhere for my pipe and it turned out to be in my mouth. Figured I was either seasoned or senile. Or both.

    Rimboche AP (Acadian Perique) is good. It's the milder of the two VaPer blends I got. Lots of flavor but not heaps of nicotine. The Perique is prominent and is lots more peppery than fruity. I am a longstanding fan of Bayou Morning and this stuff is much spicier than that even. The fruit is there and is lovely but the pepper is the deal.

    Rimboche SJ is better. The fruit is very forward and the pepper, while always there, is toned down in comparison. This stuff seems solidly mid strength and just gets better and fuller as you move down the bowl. Prunes, raisins, plums, figs-- and then pepper. After I finish a bowl I usually just sit and marvel at how good the aftertaste is.

    Both of these are Perique bombs by my standards. Maybe it's a large percentage of the stuff or maybe simply some really potent varieties that step up to the plate. Either way I would never call them balanced, but they are delicious.

    I got the Windsail as a possible blender to help balance the pepper and/or fruit in both the AP and the SJ and I've got some 50/50 mixes of each sitting for a day or two to see how that works. By itself Windsail is a dry somewhat harsh golden Va, but I bet once it gets hydrated properly and rests a bit it might be ok. The flavor is great but the smoking isn't... yet.
    Last edited by BillyPM; 07-20-2018 at 20:54.
    Billy
    --------
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

  10. #10
    Moderator Markus1970's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Oberhausen, Germany
    Real Name
    Markus Wischermann
    Pipe smoker since
    First pipe smoked in autumn 1996, regular smoker since spring 1997.
    Posts
    1,508


    3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Hello,

    It must be well over ten years ago that I got a sample of Rimboche SJ along with many samples of Latakia blends, from a friend on another forum. The Rimboche I got was fine cut as a roll-your-own blend, but tasted like a proper pipe tobacco, so was my judgement at the time. I had already learned to like Latakia, but didn't even have a mental concept of Perique taste. So what I remember now is that I enjoyed it very much and didn't feel it was harsh or too strong in any way.

    Best wishes
    Markus

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •