Thread: Question about cellaring...

Real Name
    Sonny
    Pipe smoker since
    Since 2016

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Question about cellaring...

Most of the tobacco I buy is bulk from the Tobacco shops here in town. While I do buy some tins (bb1938), mostly it is the bulk aros that they sell. I have been storing it in mason jars and that seems to work okay. With screw top lids being better than the bail-top lidded jars. With the bail-top lids I can still smell the Aro if I smell the jar, but the screw tops I can't. Which leads me to believe that if I can smell it, then moisture is being leaked out as well.

So I was wondering if vacuum sealing it in bags is a viable option for long term storage in a smaller format. Bagging and sealing the tobacco would create a smaller storage footprint and the bags would be stackable(ish) allowing more storage in the same amount of space.

But, will vacuum sealing it draw out the moisture from the tobacco into the bag? We vacuum seal meat (hamburger, etc) and in the process it does draw blood from the meat. Now, mind you meat is a bit more juicy than tobacco is, so I don't think it will draw as much out of the tobacco... But, I wonder if vacuum sealing the tobacco long-term would draw out moisture from the leaf as well as any toppings or casings that were added in the mixing process. Which could possibly create a goopy mess inside the bag, ruining the tobacco.

Has anyone tried this, and what was your experiences with it. I have a small batch of tobacco that burns hotter than the sun that I thought about experimenting with. As I only use it to mix with a bit of BCA to mellow it out, I rarely smoke it.

Your learned thoughts and opinions please?
    Take care and check six!

McGyver

"If it ain't broke, you haven't tried hard enough yet"

Pipe Smoking - The next Extreme Sport - Where else can you take something that can cost almost as much as a car, fill it with combustible material, and light it on fire...for enjoyment!

Real Name
    Jeff
    Pipe smoker since
    Nineteen Hundred Eighty and Seven

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Jar.... and nothing but Jars...

IMHO
    Jeff
    __--____
    "what ever turns you on Cup Cake…."

If you're looking to save space, I've heard some use mylar bags for long term storage and claims they work good. I do have a food saver vac sealer, but I've never used anything but mason jars for my tobacco. Ball and Kerr wide mouth have served me well.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Yeah, bale-tops are a bust for airtight storage. Stick with the jars with the two-piece, screw on lids.

Vaccum sealing can work in the semi-longterm, but you need to use good quality mylar bags. The regular plastic bags are micro-porous and they will exchange air and moisture even if the seal holds. I have no idea how well even mylar will hold up for years upon year, which is why I say that they're only suitable for "semi-longterm" storage. The data is still out on the really longterm stuff.

That said, some amount of oxygen in the container is beneficial to the aging process. It feeds the aerobes that feed the anaerobes that make all of the good stuff happen. So, sucking the air out of your storage container may not be what you want.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

While browsing a tobacco growing forum someone asked if storing cured/fermented leaves in vacuum sealed bags in order to save space was a good idea. The response was although it would be good for reducing the chances of mold from forming the ageing process would come to a halt until air was reintroduced.

Real Name
    Sonny
    Pipe smoker since
    Since 2016

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Thank you all very much! Didn't think about the aging process needing air, and the removal of such would stop the aging process. So, off to the store to get a few more Mason Jars...

Oh, I did see when I was at Wal-mart the last time that they now have Amber colored jars.

From the Ball web site, "The amber glass jar blocks out 99% of food-damaging UV light when used for canning."

As most probably store their cellar-ed items in the dark it might not matter too much, but I did think it was a novel idea and might also help protect your Expensive investment!
    Take care and check six!

McGyver

"If it ain't broke, you haven't tried hard enough yet"

Pipe Smoking - The next Extreme Sport - Where else can you take something that can cost almost as much as a car, fill it with combustible material, and light it on fire...for enjoyment!