Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What Causes A Pipe To Gurgle?

Real Name
    Ron
    Pipe smoker since
    unsure anymore

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Wizard View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm seeing now that its just a learning curve I must hertle over.
    Just my two cents here, If the house is cooled by a swamp cooler your pipes are probably not drying out either and they certainly need to.
    If you have a garage it might be good to put your pipes in there for a drying time. If your in Arizona or a place with very low humidity I wouldn't leave them out there over night.
    I'm in stinking Utah where it's about 19-21% humidity and it sucks, that's way too low, optimum is 40%. Might want to let your tobacco dry out there also but, keep a eye on it, don't want it too dry.
    And as everyone has already told you, sip slow too keep heat down and this will help keep moisture from forming in the pipe.
    "JUST HONEST HANDMADE SMOKING PIPES"

http://rdpipes.briar.club/

Real Name
    Angel
    Pipe smoker since
    Started today!

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    Don't put the drill bit into the tenon and twist. If you do, you'll have every chance of breaking the tenon.
    The drill bit went all the way through with very little pressure & spun around easily, so I don't think I did any real damage. Very slightly snug. Thanks Piffyr

So anyway, I have a method now to keep my pipes from gurgling. As simple as (at the hint of a gurgle) running a non-bristle pipe cleaner from the top of the stem down until it stops touching the unburned tobacco. Pull it out and there is dark yellowish moisture gunk at the end of the cleaner. Then I smoke it without the gurgles. I also have been putting the crystals in there and that really dries out the inside of the bowl and up the stem. This method works good in the hot and humid desert I live in. I'm sure now that if I lived in a place with near perfect weather, none of my pipes would gurgle the way 2 of them do here. This is somthing I learned thanks to you guys for coaching me in the right direction. From now on, any and all gurgles from my pipes, I will blame mostly on the weather. <------
    In the light of eternity, nothing really matters except my Stanwell. S

Real Name
    Angel
    Pipe smoker since
    Started today!

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus1970 View Post
    Hello,

This is what I use:

A good description: https://www.denicotea.com/denicool.html
    The 12g offered on that web page are a bit costly at $4.00, I use the 60 packs, and they are 6 Euros at Dan Pipe in Germany. I buy a box of six 60g packages when i order them.

Here's a picture: http://www.lambertbodar.nl/559-thick...ol-filters.jpg

And you are right, it's the very same material used to keep electric appliances or other stuff dry in the packaging, silica gel: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silica_gel

Best wishes
    Markus
    I just got 3 boxes of the pipe crystals. They work like a charm. No more gurgling!!!! Thank you Markus for the suggestion.
    pipe crystals.jpg
    In the light of eternity, nothing really matters except my Stanwell. S

Real Name
    Markus Wischermann
    Pipe smoker since
    First pipe smoked in autumn 1996, regular smoker since spring 1997.

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Wizard View Post
    I just got 3 boxes of the pipe crystals. They work like a charm. No more gurgling!!!! Thank you Markus for the suggestion.
    pipe crystals.jpg
    Hello,

Great to known they work for you as well. I've been using them with all my smokes for several years now, except when I use 9mm filters, which hopped most frequently when I smoke my own brews.

Best wishes
    Markus

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234