Thread: Laudisi Enterprisies and Peterson Merger

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Laudisi Enterprisies and Peterson Merger

I found it very interesting that Laudisi has merged Peterson into it's business. I never would have thought that Peterson could ever be made part of another company and Laudisi at that. It seems a bit of a stretch from merging a tobacco company, Cornell & Diehl, to merging with an entire pipe company. Already the announcement from Laudisi points to changes in business end and new technology for the pipe production end of the company. And, of course, anything else without another official announcement from here on out will be unconfirmed rumor and speculation. I'm with Anthony on his "show me" attitude toward improvement of pipe quality in the future.

The complaints about quality control at Peterson over the years are legion and I'm not sure when these problems first arose. Perhaps it started with certain lower price-point lines of pipes? And what years? I have two Petes, one from the "Rosslare" line and another from the "Irish Harp" line that are about six years old. Right after that, I began to her quality issues (bad draw, bowl stain on the inside of the chamber, etc.) and it seemed like quality control was a hit-or-miss situation. Some pipers had problems while others experienced none at all. I wasn't going to take a risk and I haven't bought another Peterson pipe since.

Perhaps we can have a discussion and put together a timeline of Peterson's past quality issues in order to have an overview to work with now that Laudisi is at the helm.
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

Real Name
    Markus Wischermann
    Pipe smoker since
    First pipe smoked in autumn 1996, regular smoker since spring 1997.

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Hello,

As to the stain in the bowl, complaints were common well over ten years ago, or even longer, in the first pipe forum I visited regularly, at pipes.org.

I've just searched their archives and the first reference to dip staining - submerging the whole bowl in stain - that I found dates back to 2002. But when ever I came across the topic at the time, it was described as a long lasting practice, so it may date back to well before 2002.

In recent years it has been given up as far as I know. The oldest Peterson's that I remember buying new that didn't have the stain were bought in 2013.

Best wishes
    Markus

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Thanks for that info, Markus. I can't remember if my two Petes had stained chambers or not, both being about six or seven years old. When did the quality control problems first start showing up and do recent production Petes have the same problems as in the past?
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Jason
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Any idea if this will affect Peterson tobacco production? Id have to imagine production will stay put in Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by KarlMaldensNose View Post
    Any idea if this will affect Peterson tobacco production? Id have to imagine production will stay put in Europe.
    I just read this on Briar Report: http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/eur..._137338302.htm
    Russ

Real Name
    Thomas

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by coalsmoke View Post
    Sounds like a good thing to me.
    I can resist anything but temptation--Oscar Wilde