Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Question On Pipe Socks

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    Do you use the socks for storage or do you keep them separate from the pipes?
    What!! Double What!!! Eh, What!!!! (yep, that's a treble- LOL)
    Last edited by plugugly; 07-25-2018 at 15:18.

Real Name
    Markus Wischermann
    Pipe smoker since
    First pipe smoked in autumn 1996, regular smoker since spring 1997.

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

So, the leather pouches are the only ones that you use for pipe storage?
    Yes indeed, those are more expensive, hand made pipes, and they are neither in a rack nor lying naked on the shelf, and they don't get smoked that often. So I think they deserve a protective and good looking dress.

As to necessity, pipe buyers are a delicate bunch, I suppose, who prefer their pipes not to be banged against other objects on the way from the factory to the shop, and then home. See the complaints people make about eBay sellers who don't properly pack pipes before shipping them. It's called unprofessional on the part of eBay sellers, and it would probably likewise be considered on the part of a manufacturer. Not serving any purpose any longer at our homes doesn't mean the socks didn't have a useful function before they got there.

Best wishes
    Markus

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    What!! Double What!!! Eh, What!!!! (yep, that's a treble- LOL)
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus1970 View Post
    As to necessity, pipe buyers are a delicate bunch, I suppose, who prefer their pipes not to be banged against other objects on the way from the factory to the shop, and then home. See the complaints people make about eBay sellers who don't properly pack pipes before shipping them. It's called unprofessional on the part of eBay sellers, and it would probably likewise be considered on the part of a manufacturer. Not serving any purpose any longer at our homes doesn't mean the socks didn't have a useful function before they got there.
    Yeah, the socks definitely have some benefits during warehousing and transportation, but there are better ways to handle both of those scenarios. I'm specifically interested in knowing how many of you find them useful post-purchase and in what manner you use them.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Yeah, the socks definitely have some benefits during warehousing and transportation, but there are better ways to handle both of those scenarios. I'm specifically interested in knowing how many of you find them useful post-purchase and in what manner you use them.
    Anthony, I think this is a riveting and totally farseinating subject for discussion. I am pleased it has attracted much attention and hope to see many, many more on-topic posts.

I keep all of them and the boxies, useful when carryng pipe in your coat travel bags etc.. keep coat jacket poket clean.

Pipe smoker since

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    Anthony, I think this is a riveting and totally farseinating subject for discussion. I am pleased it has attracted much attention and hope to see many, many more on-topic posts.

.... .....because, otherwise, ..... I will execute great vengeance upon them with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am Anthony, when I shall lay my vengeance upon them.
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

Quote Originally Posted by ludwig View Post
    I keep all of them and the boxies, useful when carryng pipe in your coat travel bags etc.. keep coat jacket poket clean.
    That's a good use for a pouch. They're light to carry and take up little space in a pocket when you're smoking the pipe.

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by coalsmoke View Post
    The Petes that I bought new came with the Peterson socks....
    The one and only Pete I have was bought new at Iwan Ries many years ago. I got no sock, just a box. I feel slighted now.

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgaucho View Post
    That's a good use for a pouch. They're light to carry and take up little space in a pocket when you're smoking the pipe.
    They protect your Pockets .. but most important the pipe,.. and they are nice pochette to have ..

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast