Thread: No Taste Buds, All My Tobaccos Taste like Crap And Sour

Real Name
    Angel
    Pipe smoker since
    Started today!

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

No Taste Buds, All My Tobaccos Taste like Crap And Sour

My taste buds went away a few days ago. Now all my tobaccos taste terrible. Sour and chemical like. I'm not sick with a cold or anything like that. Frustrating as hell. Even my Presby in a clean pipe tastes bad. The weather is hot and humid, but I don't smoke in front of a fan, or directly in a breeze. I even make sure my Tobaccos are dried enough. Could it just be me, or is it something I'm missing here. Cold water helps a bit, but does not last long. Been smoking about 3 years and never had this happen before. This ever happened to you guys, and if so, what did you do or not do to fix it? Thanks guys
    In the light of eternity, nothing really matters except my Stanwell. S

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

.... like a savory feeling... tasteless with any tobacco. ..? Salt n your tounge ..?

I donít know what causes it but it happens to me every so often. The good news is it usually doesnít last very long for me, like maybe a day or two. The bad news is those days feel like months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Billy
    --------
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

Real Name
    Angel
    Pipe smoker since
    Started today!

Quote Originally Posted by ludwig View Post
    .... like a savory feeling... tasteless with any tobacco. ..? Salt n your tounge ..?
    No not salty, just sour like eating a bit of tobacco. Worse than chewing baccy, which I tried years ago

Quote Originally Posted by BillyPM View Post
    I donít know what causes it but it happens to me every so often. The good news is it usually doesnít last very long for me, like maybe a day or two. The bad news is those days feel like months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Then hopefuly it won't last long with me either. Today its a tiny bit better. Thus says my tongue

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I'm sure a chap in your position could conjure up a magic potion.

Won't last long, try some mouthwash.

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

I don't enjoy the pipe when the weather is too hot.

Real Name
    Angel
    Pipe smoker since
    Started today!

Quote Originally Posted by allyby View Post
    I'm sure a chap in your position could conjure up a magic potion.

Won't last long, try some mouthwash.
    You mean the magic spirits of beer and wine? With enough wine, it wouldn't matter what it tasted like.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgaucho View Post
    I don't enjoy the pipe when the weather is too hot.
    yes, I am seeing now that the hot weather can effect somewhat the tobacco taste. Wasn't sure though before this thread post, but now I am getting the feeling that anytime in the future this happens again, it may be the hot weather. Thanks guys.

Real Name
    Fr. Tom
    Pipe smoker since

FWIW, I get "palate fatigue" if I smoke too many bowls of one flavor bomb or another. I can reset things with a few bowls of Carter Hall or something similar.
    "Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Wizard View Post
    My taste buds went away a few days ago. Now all my tobaccos taste terrible. Sour and chemical like. I'm not sick with a cold or anything like that. Frustrating as hell. Even my Presby in a clean pipe tastes bad. The weather is hot and humid, but I don't smoke in front of a fan, or directly in a breeze. I even make sure my Tobaccos are dried enough. Could it just be me, or is it something I'm missing here. Cold water helps a bit, but does not last long. Been smoking about 3 years and never had this happen before. This ever happened to you guys, and if so, what did you do or not do to fix it? Thanks guys
    One of the effects of my strokes was I lost all sense of taste and smell life hass been terrible I lost 130 lb s in weight couldn't taste food or beer but the worst couldn't taste my beloved 3P/s Doc says it will come back eventually it sucks. hope ypurs returns quickly.

Real Name
    Sonny
    Pipe smoker since
    Since 2016

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by craigmilllar View Post
    One of the effects of my strokes was I lost all sense of taste and smell life hass been terrible I lost 130 lb s in weight couldn't taste food or beer but the worst couldn't taste my beloved 3P/s Doc says it will come back eventually it sucks. hope ypurs returns quickly.
    I developed a case of Bell's Palsy over the Memorial Day weekend this year. Left side of the face was affected. This also affects the taste buds on the left side, mostly those along the side of the tongue. I also get a metallic sort of taste in that area too. Reading about it says that this is normal, and will eventually clear up as the nerves heal/grow back. While I don't have a trained palette yet, I can tell a difference in the 'flavor' of the tobacco when I smoke...And also, the heat outside does seem to affect the way it tastes as well. I guess Phoenix will do that to you...
    Take care and check six!

McGyver

"If it ain't broke, you haven't tried hard enough yet"

Pipe Smoking - The next Extreme Sport - Where else can you take something that can cost almost as much as a car, fill it with combustible material, and light it on fire...for enjoyment!