Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: News from the BBC

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungBriar View Post
    Chips for breakfast doesn't sound to odd to me, thicker french fries, AKA breakfast potatoes basically.
    Sliced, fried potatoes or hash browns are part of a good ol' fashioned breakfast and can be found in good diners. Sizzling hash browns right off of a flat grill are the best, but the factory-made junk that is foisted off on the public in fast-food places aren't really hash browns at all. When I worked off-shore in the Gulf of Mexico as an oil exploration navigator, I worked on a vessel owned by Mobil Oil. The cook served a breakfast to die for...eggs the way you wanted 'em, grilled, sliced potatoes, and steaks! When living in Louisiana, Southern breakfasts could be had with a side of American biscuits and gravy, chili, as well as taters, too. Yum!
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by allyby View Post
    in our local chippy it's nearly a tenner for just a fish supper.
    WHAT?

Think my last UK bought fish supper cost less than a fiver.

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

Quote Originally Posted by coalsmoke View Post
    Sliced, fried potatoes or hash browns are part of a good ol' fashioned breakfast and can be found in good diners.
    Hash browns are the one thing I remember most about breakfast in your part of the world Russ. Love em.

Real Name
    Sonny
    Pipe smoker since
    Since 2016

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgaucho View Post
    Hash browns are the one thing I remember most about breakfast in your part of the world Russ. Love em.
    Just got back from a camping trip a couple of weeks ago...it was supposed to be a fishing trip for my birthday, but as we caught no fish...well.

Anyway, Breakfast every morning was bacon, eggs, and hashbrowns on my 22" griddle. I got it as an early birthday present and of course had to take it on the fishi...I mean camping trip. Probably one of the best birthday gifts I ever bought myself!

Although the weekend didn't really go well, (The skunk walking into the camp on Thursday night should have been the indicator of how the rest of the weekend would go)...at least he didn't detonate. I would have gathered up the wife and got in the truck and left.

But at least breakfast was enjoyable!
    Take care and check six!

McGyver

"If it ain't broke, you haven't tried hard enough yet"

Pipe Smoking - The next Extreme Sport - Where else can you take something that can cost almost as much as a car, fill it with combustible material, and light it on fire...for enjoyment!

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by McGyver View Post
    Just got back from a camping trip a couple of weeks ago...it was supposed to be a fishing trip for my birthday, but as we caught no fish...well.

Anyway, Breakfast every morning was bacon, eggs, and hashbrowns on my 22" griddle. I got it as an early birthday present and of course had to take it on the fishi...I mean camping trip. Probably one of the best birthday gifts I ever bought myself!

Although the weekend didn't really go well, (The skunk walking into the camp on Thursday night should have been the indicator of how the rest of the weekend would go)...at least he didn't detonate. I would have gathered up the wife and got in the truck and left.

But at least breakfast was enjoyable!

I've noticed food always tastes better when you're camping.

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

When I used to go hiking for three or four days in the mountains, I had to pack with the least amount of weight that I could manage. Breakfast was always instant oatmeal, lunch was granola bars, and dinner was a pouch of freeze-dried something-or-other.
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

When I used to go hiking for three or four days in the mountains, I had to pack with the least amount of weight that I could manage. Breakfast was always instant oatmeal, lunch was granola bars, and dinner was a pouch of freeze-dried something-or-other.
    Yes I used to pack light as well and eat that crap.
    Then I decided to hike less and take real food instead....far more enjoyable.

Real Name
    Sonny
    Pipe smoker since
    Since 2016

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

The wife and I bought some of the new "Survival meals" that they sell at the larger sporting goods places (Sportsman's Warehouse, Cabela's, etc)...We took them camping with us last year. I was actually surprised at how good they were. Now, good being relative as I was also use to eating MRE's (Meal-Ready-to-Eat) when I was active duty.

These new ones are generally a one entree item that you add boiling water to and let sit for a few minutes. I had the chili, beef stew, and spaghetti, the wife had some chicken based meals (don't remember exactly) and they were all quite good...or I was quite hungry. Either way, They are something that I would buy a couple of and throw in the saddle bag of the bike...just in case.

But if I have my options, nothing beats a nice hot cooked breakfast in the morning out in the woods...When we were tearing camp down, a couple walked by and commented that "Your food always smells so good in the morning when you are making breakfast!"...Was really a nice compliment coming from someone that I didn't even know.
    Take care and check six!

McGyver

"If it ain't broke, you haven't tried hard enough yet"

Pipe Smoking - The next Extreme Sport - Where else can you take something that can cost almost as much as a car, fill it with combustible material, and light it on fire...for enjoyment!

Off the Starboard Beam, Just Over the Horizon!
    Real Name
    John
    Pipe smoker since

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Aye, interesting divergence from rasist t chips I'm so confused...
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to sail her by." - John Masefield

"It is not that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better." Sir Francis Drake, Sea Captain

Proud Member of the Walrus Club

Visit http://www.reserectedpipes.wordpress.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345