Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Pipe With Whiskey?

Real Name
    Ty

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Cleaning Pipe With Whiskey?

Has anyone ever cleaned their pipe with whiskey? I've heard from a few friends it soaks in and compliments any flavor of tobacco. Can anyone shed some light on this? Think this will make for a good little discussion.

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Vodka is more neutral, but I always use whiskey because that's usually what I have around. I've used gin once or twice, but it imparts a flavor (gin flavor) that I don't really like. So if you like whiskey, it should taste fine in your pipes -- and the taste will go away after one or two smokes anyway.

Real Name
    Ty

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Ah, so the taste does not last long. I wonder if sacrificing some whiskey is even worth it. And also, is the alcohol content high enough to thoroughly clean the pipe... Seems like its more of a cool idea than anything.

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Any ordinary liquor is strong enough. Your pipe will taste much sweeter/fresher after a cleaning with alcohol. I try to do it at least once a year, but more often on pipes I smoke regularly.

Real Name
    Ron
    Pipe smoker since
    unsure anymore

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I use 99% ISO alcohol and have never experience a bad taste from it, although liquor with a high proof will do the trick I prefer not to have any spirits
    around me, liquid or otherwise. It took me way too long to climb out of the bottle I fell in 40 years ago............if you catch my drift.
    "JUST HONEST HANDMADE SMOKING PIPES"

http://rdpipes.briar.club/

Food alcohol,.. Was suggested to me years ago by an old gentlemen friend who smoked pipe for over 40 years,.. he suggested also wiskeys and distillates like grappa in case of unavailability of it. Food alcohol is completely colorless and tasteless. Available in any food store cheaper than wiskeys.

I tried Jagermeister the first smoke had a slight herby taste, no taste after one smoke.

Real Name
    Dave

If whiskey taste is what you're looking for, I think I'd try to get it from a tobacco that is cased/flavored with whiskey...

Real Name
    Fr. Tom
    Pipe smoker since

I clean estates with iso or PGA. I have never cleaned one of mine with alcohol once I have started smoking it.

I have always worked on the premise that a pipe needs to be seasoned like a cast iron skillet. I use pipe cleaners, but I am often smoking the same pipe all day at work. I reload them warm and use a pipe cleaner as necessary to clear a draft hole or something. They might get one after 3 bowls. The threaded tenon pipes work well for this, since you can take them apart hot.

I know this flies in the face of more common recommendations, but I have done this for a long time and have had great success with it. Sometimes each bowl gets better and better doing this, so it is not just laziness on my part. I just have learned what works for me. Eventually they will get a folded cleaner down the shank, but it might not be until the next morning. This pattern seems to keep surfaces wiped off internally, and things do not seem to build up or become problematic after time.

I guess I am recommending that you try it and keep doing it if it works for you.
    "Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Go to any large food market, and walk over to the baking section where flour, cake mixes, and spices are sold. Look for McCormick's Rum Extract. Buy a bottle. Dip your pipe cleaners into this extract (food-grade alcohol with flavoring) and run the pipe cleaners through your stems and around the inside of your pipe bowls. It removes rank juices, stale saliva, tars, gummy residues, and "sweetens" your pipes.

It's cheap, it works, and the Rum Extract is easily found. BTW, it doesn't ghost the pipe either with chemical flavors, and it dissipates when smoking the first bowl full. I've been using it for years without any problems. I keep a small bottle of this stuff in my travel kit for pipes along with the other requisite paraphernalia.

Frank
    NYC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast