Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cleaning Pipe With Whiskey?

Real Name
    Ron
    Pipe smoker since
    unsure anymore

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by craigmilllar View Post
    So Ron are you making any pipes recently.
    No sir, sadly its going to take some time for me to get back to Texas and setup shop again.
    But, you can bet your bottom dollar I will.
    "JUST HONEST HANDMADE SMOKING PIPES"

http://rdpipes.briar.club/

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RP McMurphy View Post
    No sir, sadly its going to take some time for me to get back to Texas and setup shop again.
    But, you can bet your bottom dollar I will.
    Now that's what I like to hear....

Real Name
    Markus Wischermann
    Pipe smoker since
    First pipe smoked in autumn 1996, regular smoker since spring 1997.

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Hello,

Just bear in mind that there are two uses to alcohol in relation to pipes, cleaning and sanitizing. The cleaning is the more effective the higher the percentage of the alcohol, as has been said above. But for sanitizing, for example when cleaning an estate pipe for your own use, 70% is better than 90% or more, as the less strong variety goes through a bacterium's cell walls more easily to kill the bug.

I prefer isopropyl to drinkable stuff. That's mainly because of the smell. I don't mind the medicinal/clinical smell of isopropyl, as it's neutral to me and quickly evaporates. But vodka, which I've tried once, triggers memories I would rather not relive, from the time when my father was an active alcoholic. He underwent therapy when I was eight years old and we got along very well ever after. But the smell of some hard liquor has made me uncomfortable ever since. No problem with whisky, though. I actually enjoyed a well watered-down one just a few weeks ago.

Best wishes
    Markus

Real Name
    Sonny
    Pipe smoker since
    Since 2016

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I can see using it in a Briar pipe, I have cleaned mine with it when I got them from ebay (I never trust exactly WHO has had that pipe in their mouth before me), but can it be used in a Cob?

I have one cob that has been used alot and this topic made me think about doing an alcohol cleaning, but I am holding off until I hear from those with a lot more experience...Would hate to fill the cob up with Everclear and watch in horror as it comes running out of the pipe through the spaces between the rows.
    Take care and check six!

McGyver

"If it ain't broke, you haven't tried hard enough yet"

Pipe Smoking - The next Extreme Sport - Where else can you take something that can cost almost as much as a car, fill it with combustible material, and light it on fire...for enjoyment!

Real Name
    Ty

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by McGyver View Post
    I can see using it in a Briar pipe, I have cleaned mine with it when I got them from ebay (I never trust exactly WHO has had that pipe in their mouth before me), but can it be used in a Cob?

I have one cob that has been used alot and this topic made me think about doing an alcohol cleaning, but I am holding off until I hear from those with a lot more experience...Would hate to fill the cob up with Everclear and watch in horror as it comes running out of the pipe through the spaces between the rows.

I am interested in what some of the more experienced guys have to say about this. Come to think of it, now that cobs are being mentioned, what would an alcohol cleaning do to a meerschaum pipe??

Any takers to answer this?

Real Name
    Dave

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcmtk View Post
    If whiskey taste is what you're looking for, I think I'd try to get it from a tobacco that is cased/flavored with whiskey...
    You know, my post got me thinking and doing some research. Look at some of Sutliff's bulks,

https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco.../Sutliff/bulk/

and also a few from Peter Stokkebye,

https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco...tokkebye/bulk/

My guess is you local is using a tobacco from one of these producers. And they're on sale through Labor Day!

For some excellent aromatics (they're a little more expensive) I can highly reccommend Wilke Pipe Tobacco. It's been said that Rumcake is the best of its type there is.

https://www.wilkepipetobacco.com/wilke-bulk-tobacco

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123