Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats Everyones Favorite Pipe Brand?

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I collect, and often smoke, old BBB pipes. I'm also a big fan of two Vermont pipemakers, Elliott Nachwalter and Andrew Marks.

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

BriarWorks is my #1 fave and I've gotten myself a 7 day set in as many months. Great tasting, easy break-in, totally benign bowl coating, incredibly comfortable mouthpiece, perfect open drilling, quirky but charming shapes. I reach for them more than any others in my stable, and that includes a pre-war Barling, two ancient birth year Dunhills, a Custom-Bilt and WDC from the war era or earlier, etc. They just smoke better than other pipes-- and for the price (between $90 and $ 150 or so) they are unbeatable.

I also have a soft spot in my heart for Petersons and own 5 of them. I love the aesthetic and have never had a quality control issue with them although I know others who have. I steer clear of their bent shapes as even the non-system pipes have a slight sump that collects moisture for me, but a good straight drilled Pete is a great pipe once it's broken in. Which can take a while.
    Billy
    --------
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

Off the Starboard Beam, Just Over the Horizon!
    Real Name
    John
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Aye Ty, I find the pipe that be in me hand be the one I favor... GBD, Peterson, NO Name and just bout e're pipe I own...

Pipes come in all shapes n sizes n prices... Find the ones Ye likes and smokes em just that way. I been smokin a pipe fer some 40 odd turns o the calendar them that some good I keep em that do nae I scuttles em... Same wit the baccy...

Njoy the journey, it's worth it! buds.gif
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to sail her by." - John Masefield

"It is not that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better." Sir Francis Drake, Sea Captain

Proud Member of the Walrus Club

Visit http://www.reserectedpipes.wordpress.com

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Favorite pipe brand? That's a tough question to answer. It's like asking a parent to pick their favorite child.

I collect Wally Frank pipes, but since their pipes were actually made by a variety of different manufacturers, I think they really qualify as more of a marquee than a brand.

The truth is that I favor varying aspects of a lot of different brands; Barling's impeccable early silver work, Stanwell's iconic shape designs, Dr. Grabow's workhorse reliability, Dunhill's stem design and engineering, Ser Jacopo's innovative rustic finishes and on and on and on...

So, what types of pipes are you into these days, Ty?
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungBriar View Post
    Hey guys I think it would make for a good discussion to talk about our favorite brands and why!
    Hey Tyb! I have no particular favourites - very catholic taste in briars - but would be super keen to hear about yours. We love pics here, so why not post some? Tell ya what, "you show us yours and I'll show ya mine!" LOL

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgaucho View Post
    Despite me having the smallest pipe collection amongst PSU members I'll go first before the 'big boys' contribute.

For me it has to be the Falcon. They smoke great, are easily maintained and you can knock them about a fair bit. My current favourite is a Black anodised straight with Dublin bowl.

Crawford, I forgot to mention yesterday what a beautiful photo that is. You truly live in a magical land. Is that a unicorn that I spy galloping through the trees in the background?

Where's A.Wizard when you need him?
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Ty

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgaucho View Post
    Despite me having the smallest pipe collection amongst PSU members I'll go first before the 'big boys' contribute.

For me it has to be the Falcon. They smoke great, are easily maintained and you can knock them about a fair bit. My current favourite is a Black anodised straight with Dublin bowl.

Awesome looking pipe, I am not familiar with the brand but I like the style for sure. I have always loved long straight stem pipes but never buy one! Maybe I will do just that next time around.

Real Name
    Ty

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by coalsmoke View Post
    You mean right now? It's BBB, the old English brand and the one that I'm currently sipping on is the only one that I have so far. It smokes like a dream and, as often said here, it almost smokes by itself it's that smooth to smoke. Eventually, I'll get another BBB for the collection.
    Interesting, I will have to look the brand up and get an idea of price and quality. If it is as good as you all say it may be worth looking into!

Real Name
    Ty

[QUOTE=ludwig;271184]Never disappointed with Peterson,.. but like Crawford I like a lot Falcons,.. some time I think the best pipe for me it's the one I do not have....??!![/QUOT

I hear a lot of good things about Peterson. Another good one I should look deeper into.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungBriar View Post
    Interesting, I will have to look the brand up and get an idea of price and quality. If it is as good as you all say it may be worth looking into!
    Keep in mind that there are a lot of aficionados of old pipes around here. So, many of the brands that you see mentioned may no longer exist or at least may not exist as they once were.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast