Page 57 of 203 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast

Thread: What Is In Your Pipe? - October 2018.

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

12 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Good Morning, Gentlemen! It's cool here in the neighborhood with the mercury showing 67°F/19.4°C and the sky is clear as the sun rises behind the trees. Well, the New York Yankees had their heads handed to them by the Boston Red Sox in last night's baseball game in Yankee Stadium. The humiliating final score was Red Sox 16-1 Yankees. Today I'll spend time finishing up the truck/bogie wheel assemblies on my model railroad baggage car. Now smoking a bowl of Straight Grain Flake in a Sav "Venere 128", a good, fresh mug of coffee is off to one side.

Savinelli Venere 128 Rusticated Billiard.jpg
    Russ

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

There is no pipe.
    -A Zen teaching
    ...to the topTop

Pipe smoker since

9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by paulfg View Post
    Today sees 1/2 bowl number 5 in my Friedland cutty,time to move up to full bowls tomorrow,however I have a problem the stem has stuck.It was free on first getting the pipe but today I tried to unscrew it (it has a bone screw tenon) and it wouldnt move.I assume maybe the mortice has swollen a bit with moisture from smoking I dont want to force it and risk breaking the amber stem.
    Anyone have a good solution please.I have read about putting stuck tenons pipes in the freezer but I am not sure with amber/bone

Attachment 54275
    I am not sure about the freezer too. I would try with a drop of that what the madams use to remove the red from their nails…… and be patient!
    ...to the topTop

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since
    first attempt 1987 disaster,stopped until Aug 2015

11 members Liked or found this post helpful.

continuing this afternoon with GH Dark Birdseye in a Dunhill Shell 1957 vintage
    s-l1600.jpg

sellers photo
    Last edited by paulfg; 10-09-2018 at 13:52.
    ...to the topTop

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by paulfg View Post
    Today sees 1/2 bowl number 5 in my Friedland cutty,time to move up to full bowls tomorrow,however I have a problem the stem has stuck.It was free on first getting the pipe but today I tried to unscrew it (it has a bone screw tenon) and it wouldnt move.I assume maybe the mortice has swollen a bit with moisture from smoking I dont want to force it and risk breaking the amber stem.
    Anyone have a good solution please.I have read about putting stuck tenons pipes in the freezer but I am not sure with amber/bone
    Don't use the freezer. Amber doesn't take well to extreme temperature changes. Let the pipe rest for a day or two, and then try again. Grip both pieces as close to the joint as possible to reduce the risk of flexing while you twist. A couple of rubber bands "looped" several times over the ends of each piece will give you a better grip. Hold the pipe with the stem upright (button facing the ceiling) and give it a twist. It's okay to use slightly more pressure than what you feel is comfortable. If it doesn't let go, give it another day and try again. If it still doesn't release, give me a shout and we'll try something else. Once you do get the two pieces apart, apply some wax to the threads of each to prevent them from locking again.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks
    ...to the topTop

Real Name
    Ed
    Pipe smoker since

Right after finishing my breakfast and morning coffee, one of the blends that goes best for me is Match Revelation, this time in Paul Menard's Big Billiard, a Group 6 (at least) stack.

Paul's Pipes Big Billiard-1.jpg
    “I know who I am: I’m the dude playing the dude disguised as another dude.”
    ...to the topTop

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since
    first attempt 1987 disaster,stopped until Aug 2015

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    Don't use the freezer. Amber doesn't take well to extreme temperature changes. Let the pipe rest for a day or two, and then try again. Grip both pieces as close to the joint as possible to reduce the risk of flexing while you twist. A couple of rubber bands "looped" several times over the ends of each piece will give you a better grip. Hold the pipe with the stem upright (button facing the ceiling) and give it a twist. It's okay to use slightly more pressure than what you feel is comfortable. If it doesn't let go, give it another day and try again. If it still doesn't release, give me a shout and we'll try something else. Once you do get the two pieces apart, apply some wax to the threads of each to prevent them from locking again.
    thank you Anthony I was hoping you would chime in.I will report back in a couple of days time.i have a habit of being a little heavy handed and didnt want to ruin it by going overboard with the pressure.
    ...to the topTop

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

After yesterday's 29c real feel 32c today's 18c with accompanying wind feels Baltic even with a woolly jumper on. At least it's put me more in the mood for a smoke.
    Second last flake of the University Flake is going down a treat.

...to the topTop

Real Name
    Thomas

Good morning, Good people.
    IMG_3794.JPG

The Three Friars say to petition the Lord for a World Series victory in my lifetime,
    then I will live forever.
    I can resist anything but temptation--Oscar Wilde
    ...to the topTop

Pipe smoker since

GH&Co. Brown Flake Unscented in a Peterson No COM little 'dog #262:

little 'dog.jpg
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes
    ...to the topTop

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Anton

10 members Liked or found this post helpful.

More Mystery Blend in another MM Legend before the drive home....
    Tobacco is my favourite vegetable - Frank Zappa
    ...to the topTop