Thread: Tobacco in Humidrome

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since
    first attempt 1987 disaster,stopped until Aug 2015

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Tobacco in Humidrome

I have a newly aquired Falcon and have found that I am getting pieces of tobacco into the humidrome,Is this normal?
    Also the draught hole in the bowl is getting a wet plug form there,any tips.
    This is my first proper go at a Falcon.The bowl I have is a block meerschaum one I have a couple of wood ones arriving tomorrow as well.
    i have sanded the cake back to the bowl and removed the black in the rim since sellers photo below

thanks in advance
    s-l1600 (2).jpg

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

To follow up my own question .
    Today arrived a new hunter bowl and when I checked the smoke hole of the meer against the new bowl I can see it is larger.This would account for why the tobacco was passing into the humidome.
    Nothing that allowing the hole to cakeup a bit cant fix.In the meantime I can use a dry ring to restrict the gap a bit

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

It can happen even when using a Dublin bowl Paul. The finer and drier the tobacco is makes it easier to slip through the hole when packing. Not a problem though given how easy it is to unscrew the bowl.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Thanks Crawford,
    I ordered a Shilleighly stem and a hunter kit with bent stem and 2 bowls online.It arrived today Shilleighly stem ok but straight not bent stem kit with 1 Plymouth bowl and 1 Algiers.
    Already smoked 1 x 1/2 bowl HU Dockworker in each ,starting the breaking in period.May have to get a bent stem still not sure if I like them or not (visually I mean)

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

Quote Originally Posted by paulfg View Post
    Thanks Crawford,
    I ordered a Shilleighly stem and a hunter kit with bent stem and 2 bowls online.It arrived today Shilleighly stem ok but straight not bent stem kit with 1 Plymouth bowl and 1 Algiers.
    Already smoked 1 x 1/2 bowl HU Dockworker in each ,starting the breaking in period.May have to get a bent stem still not sure if I like them or not (visually I mean)
    It's a mid-century modern design, Paul, but your in good company. The famous psychiatrist Carl Jung had a Falacon in his collection.
    Russ

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

There is no pipe.
    -A Zen teaching

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

Come to think of it Paul as far as I know Falcon only make meerschaum lined bowls for their standard pipes so that bowl must be made by a third party. That could explain why it has a wider hole.
    As far as the bent v straight goes it's just aesthetics as I find they both smoke the same. I used to think the bent was more comfortable for clenching however having now used the straight a lot more I don't think there's much in it. I do prefer to smoke the straight when in public though.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgaucho View Post
    Come to think of it Paul as far as I know Falcon only make meerschaum lined bowls for their standard pipes so that bowl must be made by a third party. That could explain why it has a wider hole.
    As far as the bent v straight goes it's just aesthetics as I find they both smoke the same. I used to think the bent was more comfortable for clenching however having now used the straight a lot more I don't think there's much in it. I do prefer to smoke the straight when in public though.
    yes I also think it is third party made .It looks exactly like this one FMB27 ,with the same size chamber.It did come from UK so could well be
    https://www.mysmokingshop.co.uk/inde..._rsProdscat=61

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by paulfg View Post
    yes I also think it is third party made .It looks exactly like this one FMB27 ,with the same size chamber.It did come from UK so could well be
    https://www.mysmokingshop.co.uk/inde..._rsProdscat=61
    Yes 'for Falcon pipes' I see it says which suggests they're doing it off their own back. I like your shape but they're a tad too pricey for me especially the way I knock my Falcons about.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgaucho View Post
    Yes 'for Falcon pipes' I see it says which suggests they're doing it off their own back. I like your shape but they're a tad too pricey for me especially the way I knock my Falcons about.
    I paid less than 1/2 that price including a new straight stem ,second hand off the bay .I too wouldnt buy a new one.I was just keen to try out a meer