Thread: Couple of Amphora blends.

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Couple of Amphora blends.

Due to tobacco stocks other than the twist running low I popped into the only shop in my small town out here in the pampa who sell pipe tobacco. Having seen on an Argentine selling site that 4 Amphora blends were now on sale in this country I was hoping against all hope they just might have Amphora Virgina in stock or even my second choice Black Cavendish. The reviews seemed to suggest these two out of the four are the only blends which don't have any added flavourings.

On arrival I was pleased to see they did indeed have Amphora on the shelf but only two blends out of the four which happened to be the very two I didn't want...the Original and Full Aroma blends!! As each cost around 4 for a 35gr pouch I just went ahead and bought them anyway.
    Been smoking them every day over the last five days and to be honest they aren't that bad. As far as I'm concerned they both look to be the same tobacco the only difference smoking wise is that the Full Aroma has slightly more topping. What makes them stand out though is the cut of the tobacco which is excellent so a big to Mac Baren for that.

Despite what many reviews say I have found them to be a bit bitey however I suspect some over zealous puffing is to blame for that as they are rather lacking in strength at the start.
    Still to make up my mind whether I like them enough to want to buy either blend again. I suspect I would have to have run out of the usual SG/GH blends I smoke to force me into buying Amphora again. Cost wise Amphora is 220 pesos for 35gr whereas a 50gr pouch of FVF is around 450 pesos so not a lot in it.

For those who wouldn't be seen dead smoking those synthetic vanilla Cavendish type aromatic blends the good news is these are definitely a cut above those in every department. In fact if the Full Aroma had more of a Lakeland type flavouring instead of the cocoa it has it could easily be mistaken for an SG/GH blend so good looking it looks and feels.

Definitely worth giving them a go and finding out for yourself.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Thanks, Crawford. I've steered clear of the Amphora blends due to lukewarm public opinion, but you may have convinced me to give them a try. They certainly won't break the bank.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Ahhh...the first pipe tobacco that I ever smoked was one of the varieties of Amphora.
    Russ

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

There is no pipe.
    -A Zen teaching

I prefer the original, is true that there are similitudes betwen the two, is a tobacco I don't buy often, from time to time to have a change,... yes the Amphora virginia I can really say I liked it and I we'll buy again,.. I strongly suggest it if natural virginia is liked,.. is a new product this virginia in the Amphora lines.

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

The Virginia is the one I really wanted to try ludwig.

I fear it won't be strong enough for me though.

Im a strong Kentucky smoker,.. but I found this Amphora virginia to be satisfactory in strength.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Anton

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I like the Original. Not a big fan of the Full Aroma.
    Tobacco is my favourite vegetable - Frank Zappa