Thread: A Near Match to Thomas' (Rockbass') Ancient Meer?

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

A Near Match to Thomas' (Rockbass') Ancient Meer?

I was watching a couple of pipes on eBay when I noticed this Meerschaum pipe. Hallmarked for 1850, the orific is a slot (rather than round), and Thomas' has a proper lid rather than just a silver rim (silversmith not identified).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Old-1850-...e/153240726895

There seems to be significant interest in the eBay pipe, given that the auction still has more than a week to go.

Thomas' meer is 1843, with all three parts hallmarked by a well-known B'ham silversmith of the time. BUT the 'bodies' of the two pipes look identical. Interesting?

P1100911 (4).jpg
    Last edited by plugugly; 11-02-2018 at 19:01.

Real Name
    Thomas

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

[QUOTE=plugugly;277627]I was watching a couple of pipes on eBay when I noticed this Meerschaum pipe. Hallmarked for 1850, the orific is a slot (rather than round), and Thomas' has a proper lid rather than just a silver rim (silversmith not identified).

There seems to be significant interest in the eBay pipe, given that the auction still has more than a week to go.

Thomas' meer is 1843, with all three parts hallmarked by a well-known B'ham silversmith of the time. BUT the 'bodies' of the two pipes look identical. Interesting?

IMG_4003.JPG

Sorry, I couldn't find a photo that wasn't artsy.
    Chris told me to smoke latakia in it, but did I listen, well not at first. Now it is dedicated the latakia blends.
    I can resist anything but temptation--Oscar Wilde

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

The stem on the one listed at eBay is a replacement. It's a donor stem from a Savinelli Dry System pipe.

There does appear to be a maker's mark on the silver work, but I can't make it out.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

[QUOTE=Rockbass;277631]
    Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    I was watching a couple of pipes on eBay when I noticed this Meerschaum pipe. Hallmarked for 1850, the orific is a slot (rather than round), and Thomas' has a proper lid rather than just a silver rim (silversmith not identified).

IMG_4003.JPG

Sorry, I couldn't find a photo that wasn't artsy.
    Chris told me to smoke latakia in it, but did I listen, well not at first. Now it is dedicated the latakia blends.

In the interest of clarity and for the avoidance of doubt, Thomas did me a favour by taking this old article off my hands. It was my only meer and I bought it (for a song) because it had been found in a rubbish tip and I was curious as to its history - a piece of detective work, if anything. And that's what it turned out to be, with many Forum members contributing. Somewhere there is a thread (swan or ugly duckling? - something like that).

I don't like meers anymore than I like cobs (is there some kind of link here?), so it was a pleasure to offload it to a pal who seems to like both!

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    The stem on the one listed at eBay is a replacement. It's a donor stem from a Savinelli Dry System pipe.

There does appear to be a maker's mark on the silver work, but I can't make it out.
    That fits, Anthony - and it looks like a pit bull has been at it! LOL