Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage "Warsson" Briar Estate Smoking Pipe

Real Name
    Dave

12 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Vintage "Warsson" Briar Estate Smoking Pipe

Thanks for the tip Chris. I was ready to bid, but the big bids came in with seconds to go. GBP 789 - $1022.78.

warsson.jpgwarrson2.jpgwarsson3.jpgwarsson4.jpgScreenshot_2018-11-04 Wo2 pdf.png

I think, in my lifetime, I'm going to have to be content with my "Warsson" designed Stanwells!

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

It might not sound like it to some, but £789/$1023 is a helluva deal for that pipe.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Anton

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    It might not sound like it to some, but £789/$1023 is a helluva deal for that pipe.
    Agreed. Unfortunately I had to pass on this one, due to the fact that is not my birth year pipe
    Tobacco is my favourite vegetable - Frank Zappa

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

10 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I was one of the late bidders mentioned by Dave. I didn’t win the auction but I do now own the pipe!

It had obviously been mislabeled and the photos were poor. I wondered whether this might result in it being missed by the big collectors. I love my 50’s Stanwells that were designed by Ivarsson and I thought it would be nice to own one that he had made.

So, I checked with our resident expert (Dave, of course), who confirmed that it is a ‘61 Ivarsson.

I decided to bid high, but no higher than I had paid for my treasured 1914 wind-capped Barlings. I was outbid and thought no more of it – C'est la vie!

Next morning, I received a “second chance” offer from eBay, but at the price of my highest bid. This was the message I sent to the seller:

“It seems that the winning bidder on this item has not been able to complete the transaction.

In retrospect, it is a pity that a buyer with only two previous purchases should have been allowed to bid on such a potentially expensive item.

Had this spurious bidder not been at the auction I would have won the pipe for £525.05. I would therefore give serious consideration to a lower offer than my highest bid in your auction - i.e. no more than £600.00.

You will see from my own eBay feedback that I am an utterly reliable buyer and a fast payer.

Best wishes,
    Chris”

He accepted.

A lot of dosh, but less than I paid for a couple of my WW1 Barlings.

I think I have done okay.

(The seller’s pics are in Dave’s post. I will put up some more once it has been spiffed up).
    Last edited by plugugly; 11-06-2018 at 14:13.

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    I was one of the late bidders mentioned by Dave. I didn’t win the auction but I do now own the pipe! It had obviously been mislabeled and the photos were poor. I wondered whether this might result in it being missed by the big collectors. I love my 50’s Stanwells that were designed by Ivarsson and I thought it would be nice to own one that he had made. So, I checked with our resident expert (Dave, of course), who confirmed that it is a ‘61 Ivarsson. I decided to bid high, but no higher than I had paid for my treasured 1914 wind-capped Barlings. I was outbid and thought no more of it – C'est la vie! Next morning, I received a “second chance” offer from eBay, but at the price of my highest bid. This was the message I sent to the seller: “It seems that the winning bidder on this item has not been able to complete the transaction. In retrospect, it is a pity that a buyer with only two previous purchases should have been allowed to bid on such a potentially expensive item. Had this spurious bidder not been at the auction I would have won the pipe for £525.05. I would therefore give serious consideration to a lower offer than my highest bid in your auction - i.e. no more than £600.00. You will see from my own eBay feedback that I am an utterly reliable buyer and a fast payer. Best wishes, Chris” He accepted. A lot of dosh, but less than I paid for a couple of my WW1 Barlings. I think I have done okay. (The seller’s pics are in Dave’s post. I will put up some more once it has been spiffed up).
    You've done more than okay, Chris. Congrats on the Ivarsson!
    Last edited by coalsmoke; 11-06-2018 at 14:18.
    Russ

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

There is no pipe.
    -A Zen teaching

Pipe smoker since

Well done.

A sound argument and a lovely pipe.
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

If you fell into the Clyde you'd come oot smellin' of roses Chris.
    Nice addition to your smoking collection.

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo44 View Post
    Well done.

A sound argument and a lovely pipe.
    Thanks, Jim. I thought that more than sound arguments for spending more than a monkey on a pipe would be needed for Pauline, but no problem - maybe because a ball gown has just been bought for D#2 in anticipation of her school leaving prom!! LOL

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Great pick up Chris, will it be getting restored?

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by allyby View Post
    Great pick up Chris, will it be getting restored?
    I'm pretty sure I will send it off to our sheep-worrying pal, Ally, but will wait until I have it in hand.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast