Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First World War Pipes

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

11 members Liked or found this post helpful.

First World War Pipes

Remembrance Sunday tomorrow marks the centenary of the end of WW1, and I intend to smoke all my WW1 pipes. They are shown below; I'm still looking for a 1917 example, so if anyone spots one please let me know.

I would be delighted for other members to post WW1 pipes in this thread.

1914:

"Big Bertie" a pipe with a history previously told:

MARCH 2014 067 (2).jpg

Another wind cap Barling:

MARCH 2014 068 (2).jpg

1915:

A cased Barling:

1915 cased (2).jpg

A nice McLardy Special:

P1100722 (3).jpg

1916:

"Baby Pete"

Baby Pete 1916.jpg

1918:

Dunhill Churchwarden:

001 (2).jpg
    Last edited by plugugly; 11-10-2018 at 10:54.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

11 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I'll be smoking this one, tomorrow.
    My late great grandfathers calabash. One of the 'lucky' ones to make it back.

image.jpg

There's been a fascinating series on bbc4, this week. 'The Last Tommies'. If you didn't catch it, you must see it!
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    I'll be smoking this one, tomorrow.
    My late great grandfathers calabash. One of the 'lucky' ones to make it back.

image.jpg

There's been a fascinating series on bbc4, this week. 'The Last Tommies'. If you didn't catch it, you must see it!
    Same with my grandad, Simon - probably because he he was taken prisoner fairly early on (he had lied about his age - one of the "boy soldiers" - and signed on at the age of fifteen!!).
    Last edited by plugugly; 11-10-2018 at 11:14.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Anton

9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Nice pipes! And always nice if there's a bit of history with them.
    Tobacco is my favourite vegetable - Frank Zappa

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

10 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Nice to have pipes with historical family stories attached.

Both my grandfathers died while I was still a nipper. And my father who was definitely a pipe smoker died when I was a boy so any pipe paraphernalia was tossed out well before I got interested in pipe smoking. The only memory of my grandfathers war experiences were being told both got gassed and suffered chest problems as a result. I don't have a clue what happened to their service medals either.

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

If those pipes could speak, I can imagine the stories they would tell, Chris. My maternal grandfather was in "The War to End All Wars" and, too, was gassed losing a lung from what I was told. He wasn't a pipe smoker, but smoked cigarettes.
    Russ

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

There is no pipe.
    -A Zen teaching

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by coalsmoke View Post
    If those pipes could speak, I can imagine the stories they would tell, Chris. My maternal grandfather was in "The War to End All Wars" and, too, was gassed losing a lung from what I was told. He wasn't a pipe smoker, but smoked cigarettes.
    Indeed, Russ! I am sure that Big Bertie was present at the failed attempt to break the siege of Kut in 1915, but I have related that story on PSU before.

Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by coalsmoke View Post
    As we lost the war in 1864 against Austria and Preussen the part of the country were my mothers family come from became German until 1920. So my grandfather had to go as German soldier but was lucky and taken prisoner by the English. My grandmother had three brothers in that war.One never came home and one suffered in his brain rest of his life. I last saw him in 1968.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

I can highly recommend Dan Carlin's "Blueprint for Armageddon" series from his Hardcore History podcast. In total, the series spends something like 20 hours exploring the WWI from beginning to end and it's all currently available for free: https://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-series/

Dan's interest is primarily military history and he does a great job of illustrating what made WWI wholly unique from anything that came before or after it. He pulls from a wide variety of historians and primary sources with quotes from each. Go check it out.

Oh, and you know that I love those WWI Barling's pipes. I don't need to say it again, but I think I just did.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    I can highly recommend Dan Carlin's "Blueprint for Armageddon" series from his Hardcore History podcast. In total, the series spends something like 20 hours exploring the WWI from beginning to end and it's all currently available for free: https://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-series/

Dan's interest is primarily military history and he does a great job of illustrating what made WWI wholly unique from anything that came before or after it. He pulls from a wide variety of historians and primary sources with quotes from each. Go check it out.

Oh, and you know that I love those WWI Barling's pipes. I don't need to say it again, but I think I just did.
    Thanks, Anthony - I will certainly check out Dan Carlin. There has been much less 'accessible' history written about WW! than about WW2.

I know you do; I have never showed them together, but I just did! LOL
    Last edited by plugugly; 11-10-2018 at 13:37.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast