Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One for Me: The Doodler [pic heavy]

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

11 members Liked or found this post helpful.

One for Me: The Doodler [pic heavy]

I have eclectic tastes when it comes to pipes. You guys know that. I appreciate French curves, British elegance, Italian machismo and Danish naturalism, but I also have a big soft spot for Americana, novelties and weirdos. In my opinion, those last three things were never summed up in a single pipe better than they were in The Doodler.

This one was a gift from out good friend Billy. He never really got on with the styling and knew that I had an interest in them. So, he passed it along. It was in good condition when it arrived and only moderately smoked. I knew that it would clean up nicely.

The Doodler is certainly not a pipe that suits everyoneís taste, but thatís exactly what I love about it.

COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

The Doodler was designed by Tracy Mincer of Custom-Bilt fame. Production of the pipes began in 1952, the same year that Tracy lost the rights to the Custom-Bilt name. National Briar manufactured the pipe for Tracy until they purchased the rights from him outright in the early Ď60s. As far as I know, they continued to produce them until they closed up shop in the mid to late Ď80s. This pipe is a post-Mincer production, which can be identified by the star logo on the stem.

The distinguishing features of The Doodler are obvious. The marketing line is that the drilled and carved channels around the bowl allow heat to escape leading to a cooler smoke, but I think we all know thatís just BS. Like the craggy, Custom-Bilt rustication (some of which is also displayed on The Doodler), itís just a creative way to hide flaws and make sub-par briar marketable. When a pipe has this much character, who cares though, right?

So, hereís the finished pipe in all of its quirky gloryÖ

By the way, that roughness on the face of the stem isnít crud. Itís chatter from a cutting blade that should have been sharpened long before this pipe was ever made.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

I don't know why, it's not my style of pipe, looks craggy and kinda steampunky style, drilling is off on the rim, but I like it Ant!

Great restoration work my friend..

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by allyby View Post
    I don't know why, it's not my style of pipe, looks craggy and kinda steampunky style, drilling is off on the rim, but I like it Ant!

Great restoration work my friend..
    I'm kind of shocked at that, Ally. I would have thought that you would hate it. I'm happy that you can see the quirky, unconventional charm of it.

Yeah, the circular drilling around the rim is off center and there are some other shaping/carving irregularities, but that's par for the course with these things. An Ivarsson Product it ain't! I actually think the little bits that are slightly off add to the charm, but that might just be me attempting to justify my bad taste.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS

Real Name
    Thomas

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

You've made a silk purse out of a...... I know, I know, I smoke dirty old beat up cobs.
    I can resist anything but temptation--Oscar Wilde

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    I'm kind of shocked at that, Ally. I would have thought that you would hate it. I'm happy that you can see the quirky, unconventional charm of it.

Yeah, the circular drilling around the rim is off center and there are some other shaping/carving irregularities, but that's par for the course with these things. An Ivarsson Product it ain't! I actually think the little bits that are slightly off add to the charm, but that might just be me attempting to justify my bad taste.
    Maybe! just Maybe if I ask a Mod to delete my post before Chris see's It, Don't wan't to ruin my street Cred!

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbass View Post
    You've made a silk purse out of a...... I know, I know, I smoke dirty old beat up cobs.
    You're preaching to the cob choir, Thomas.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by allyby View Post
    Maybe! just Maybe if I ask a Mod to delete my post before Chris see's It, Don't wan't to ruin my street Cred!
    Yeah, that'll be fun.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Nice transformation, Anthony, like night and day. Not my style either, but I can understand and appreciate it all the same.
    Russ

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

There is no pipe.
    -A Zen teaching

Real Name
    Fr. Tom
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I have one I am very fond of...

Attachment 55241

Last edited by Fr_Tom; 11-16-2018 at 22:30.
    "Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast