Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The China Syndrome

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Anton

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Tobacco is my favourite vegetable - Frank Zappa

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Been to mainland China several times, first time back in my single days when I went to Beijing for a week. Apart from the group of women from Bristol who 'adopted' me during my stay in the same hotel my abiding memory was being told to 'beware of fakes'. I took no notice of course and bought many fake branded goods down the silk market. Back then, they were of a very high quality...I still have a few outdoor jackets which look as good as new....even the zips still work!!
    However their fake tobacco products aren't made to the same high standards....something SG will hopefully already be aware of I hope.

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgaucho View Post
    Been to mainland China several times, first time back in my single days when I went to Beijing for a week. Apart from the group of women from Bristol who 'adopted' me during my stay in the same hotel my abiding memory was being told to 'beware of fakes'. I took no notice of course and bought many fake branded goods down the silk market. Back then, they were of a very high quality...I still have a few outdoor jackets which look as good as new....even the zips still work!!
    However their fake tobacco products aren't made to the same high standards....something SG will hopefully already be aware of I hope.
    I say let them smoke their fake tobacco, they've pushed their crap on us all these years!

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

Quote Originally Posted by allyby View Post
    I say let them smoke their fake tobacco, they've pushed their crap on us all these years!

At least in the UK it's reasonably priced according to quality Ally. Whereas here, the prices they charge for what really is crap from China is unbelievable. They expect you pay about a fiver for one item which you can get about five of in a Glasgow 1 store.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by AntonB View Post
    I like China.
    I do to, generally speaking. I don't want this thread to be misconstrued as China bashing. That's not my intention at all. I'm simply pointing out that the global production of both pipes and tobacco is relatively limited and China's market is wide, deep and maybe a little hungrier for these things than the rest of us had previously thought. So, it may be necessary to take some precautions of your own to ensure your own availability of certain things. I know that I would have hit the GH&C blends a little harder on previous orders if I had known then that those blends were going to become as scarce as quickly as they did.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    John
    Pipe smoker since
    5 years way back in 1970s, several years now

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

having recently returned to 'the pipe' after 4years, I spent all today making a shopping list of loose baccy to use, and tinned baccy to store

heart broken to find my favourite Germains' Special Latika Flake and other tinned baccy are discontinued

anyone 'overstocked'.....hahahahahaha

to reverse the trend _ I have ordered some Trout Stream from 4noggins --- fingers crossed ref the UK HM Customs.............

i had 2 trips to Beijing - the charcoal home fires/heaters put out FAR more pollution than any pipe tobacco

I hope they do not descover these.

Inviato dal mio ME371MG utilizzando Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    Yes, this is true, but you used to be able to commission work from there carvers. No more under this deal.

I thought you were getting your sense of taste back, Joe. Did you lose it again?
    It came and went like you wouldn't believe even went out and bought a case if Stella, the 2 I opened went down the sink.

Real Name
    Ed
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by ludwig View Post
    I hope they do not descover these.

Inviato dal mio ME371MG utilizzando Tapatalk
    Ho bisogno del Comune Morbido. Just because of the name.
    Last edited by Zeaward; 11-23-2018 at 13:14.
    I know who I am: Im the dude playing the dude disguised as another dude.

Mild italian Kentucky the morbido = soft ones.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123