Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: The China Syndrome

  1. #11
    PSU Member plugugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since
    2001
    Posts
    11,911


    4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    Also,.. dirth?!

    Man, I am such an idiot.

    Is that even a word? Why doesn't my spell checker catch it? Can someone please define "dirth" for me?

    Idiot!

    It's clearly a Piffyr neologism with no definition in our tongue, unless you wish to christen (sorry, Ed! lol) it with one of your own
    Last edited by plugugly; 11-21-2018 at 18:48.

  2. #12


    7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    I was seeing for example on ebay all the Oeg morta pipes are being sold by a seller in China and some of the Belgian pipes so maybe they are gearing up for the reverse Anthony selling everythig to the west I'm still buying from Boswell's though none of his mixtures have that plummy smell of the englis makers. but he hasa lot of his own blends which I like or used to when I could taste.

  3. #13
    PSU Member Rockbass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Real Name
    Thomas
    Posts
    7,966


    6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    Also,.. dirth?!

    Man, I am such an idiot.

    Is that even a word? Why doesn't my spell checker catch it? Can someone please define "dirth" for me?
    I thought "dirth" meant abundance, but Mr. Webster disagrees.

    Looked up dearth and it means shortage.
    Last edited by Rockbass; 11-21-2018 at 19:37.
    I can resist anything but temptation.

  4. #14
    PSU Member plugugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since
    2001
    Posts
    11,911


    4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbass View Post
    I thought "dirth" meant abundance, but Mr. Webster disagrees.
    Typo, Thomas.

    He meant "girth", as in that of Crawford's impressive "twist"!
    Last edited by plugugly; 11-21-2018 at 19:11.

  5. #15
    PSU Member Piffyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since
    2014
    Posts
    6,026


    5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    Idiot!

    It's clearly a Piffyr neologism with no definition in our tongue, unless you wish to christen (sorry, Ed! lol) it with one of your own
    Well, I think I may know why my spell checker doesn't catch it. I found a definition for "dirth" at Wiktionary...

    dirth
    1. Misspelling of dearth.

    Yeah, uhm, thanks, I guess.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

    www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

  6. #16
    PSU Member plugugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since
    2001
    Posts
    11,911


    5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    Well, I think I may know why my spell checker doesn't catch it. I found a definition for "dirth" at Wiktionary...

    dirth
    1. Misspelling of dearth.

    Yeah, uhm, thanks, I guess.
    Was it wirth it, the search? LOL

  7. #17
    PSU Member Piffyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since
    2014
    Posts
    6,026


    6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by craigmilllar View Post
    I was seeing for example on ebay all the Oeg morta pipes are being sold by a seller in China and some of the Belgian pipes so maybe they are gearing up for the reverse Anthony selling everythig to the west
    Yes, this is true, but you used to be able to commission work from there carvers. No more under this deal.

    Quote Originally Posted by craigmilllar View Post
    I'm still buying from Boswell's though none of his mixtures have that plummy smell of the englis makers. but he hasa lot of his own blends which I like or used to when I could taste.
    I thought you were getting your sense of taste back, Joe. Did you lose it again?
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

    www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

  8. #18
    PSU Member Piffyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since
    2014
    Posts
    6,026


    4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    Was it wirth it, the search? LOL
    I'm giving that pun a wide birth.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

    www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

  9. #19
    PSU Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    West Coast of the Dark Continent
    Real Name
    Anton
    Posts
    416


    5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    I like China. Although the antis are rearing their heads there, no draconian smoking laws yet. You can smoke just about anywhere. But check out Japan!: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...tokyo-olympics
    Tobacco is my favourite vegetable - Frank Zappa

  10. #20
    PSU Member plugugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since
    2001
    Posts
    11,911


    8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by AntonB View Post
    I like China. Although the antis are rearing their heads there, no draconian smoking laws yet. You can smoke just about anywhere. But check out Japan!: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...tokyo-olympics
    Anton, if Japan limits its regs to those you mention, it seems fair enough to me; even as a pipe/cigar smoker I would never in the old days have smoked in a restaurant and I objected (forcefully) to any who were smoking next to me as I ate.

    If they go no further, I think it is okay for the Japs to restrict smoking to designated areas in restaurants and bars. To go beyond that is draconian and illogical, in my view.

    Incidentally, many years ago in the first-class cabin (quite small) of a BA flight from San Francisco to London, there was a Jap smoking cigarettes and coughing all night. Apparently, in those days, there was a single smoking seat in first-class - I would have liked to punch his fuc*ing lights out!!

    Anyways, who won the war? Why, the Yanks of course! LOL
    Last edited by plugugly; 11-22-2018 at 07:38.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •