Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question re cased pipes

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since
    first attempt 1987 disaster,stopped until Aug 2015

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

A question re cased pipes

What is your practice with cased pipes after smoking them.I have a few cased pipes that currently sit in the pipe rack.I has been suggested that it is better to keep them in their cases.I assume they require some time to dry before returning to their case.Tell me what you do.
    Pluggers I looking at you.

Pipe smoker since

9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

In fact, I do not know. But now you say it, I can see that I have begone to let pipes laying apart after smoking and cleaning. I think some air are good for Peterson systems.
    ( How I clean a shank on a Peterson system, I shall tell one day were you are all holding on hat & glasses)

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

10 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by paulfg View Post
    What is your practice with cased pipes after smoking them.I have a few cased pipes that currently sit in the pipe rack.I has been suggested that it is better to keep them in their cases.I assume they require some time to dry before returning to their case.Tell me what you do.
    Pluggers I looking at you.
    Okay, here we go...........this may seem unorthodox, but in the past fifteen years that I have been accumulating cased pipes, this approach has never let me down.

I should preface it by saying that it would be highly unusual for me to smoke a cased pipe once a week; most are Sunday Pipes and get only a monthly outing.

Additionally, they get just my usual (cursory) post-smoke cleaning (none of my estates post-restoration are cleaned with neat ethanol, only estates that I clean up myself). I simply give the inner bowl a very gentle run around with the blunt blade of my pipe tool, run a couple of pipe cleaners through the stem and the disconnected shank (before it is completely cold - so the liquid juice has not had time to completely penetrate the briar). I am not too obsessional about this, since most of my pipes are reserved for a single genre of tobacco, if not a specific blend - and I like the concept of the pipe becoming seasoned in this way. I give the stem a hard hand-polish with the pipe cloth and the bowl a 'Hacker hand facial' to give it a bit of a shine (No buffing!!). I do this with all my pipes, whether cased or racked. It could be argued that without an occasional alcohol deep-clean the pipe (esp. shank) would taste "stale" - in 20 years, this has never happened to me.

I try do do this almost directly after a smoke, usually while prepping the tobacco for the next bowl. Then the pipe goes into the case or in the rack. From Jimbo's kind resizing of my wife's impressive rack, the top shelf and the second-to-bottom shelf are where I keep my churchwardens and cased pipes - I have about twenty.

Another point about about cased vintage and antique pipes is that, whatever their internals are like, their externals are much better than would be expected (witness the Barling's cased pair - restored by Dean - that I showed last Sunday). I have a number of beautiful pipes in crappy, battered cases - demonstrating the value of cases.,
    Last edited by plugugly; 11-28-2018 at 08:33.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since
    first attempt 1987 disaster,stopped until Aug 2015

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    Okay, here we go...........this may seem unorthodox, but in the past fifteen years that I have been accumulating cased pipes, this approach has never let me down.

I should preface it by saying that it would be highly unusual for me to smoke a cased pipe once a week; most are Sunday Pipes and get only a monthly outing.

Additionally, they get just my usual (cursory) post-smoke cleaning (none of my estates post-restoration are cleaned with neat ethanol, only estates that I clean up myself). I simply give the inner bowl a very gentle run around with the blunt blade of my pipe tool, run a couple of pipe cleaners through the stem and the disconnected shank (before it is completely cold - so the liquid juice has not had time to completely penetrate the briar). I am not too obsessional about this, since most of my pipes are reserved for a single genre of tobacco, if not a specific blend - and I like the concept of the pipe becoming seasoned in this way. I give the stem a hard hand-polish with the pipe cloth and the bowl a 'Hacker hand facial' to give it a bit of a shine (No buffing!!). I do this with all my pipes, whether cased or racked. It could be argued that without an occasional alcohol deep-clean the pipe (esp. shank) would taste "stale" - in 20 years, this has never happened to me.

I try do do this almost directly after a smoke, usually while prepping the tobacco for the next bowl. Then the pipe goes into the case or in the rack. From Jimbo's kind resizing of my wife's impressive rack, the top shelf and the second-to-bottom shelf are where I keep my churchwardens and cased pipes - I have about twenty.

Another point about about cased vintage and antique pipes is that, whatever their internals are like, their externals are much better than would be expected (witness the Barling's cased pair - restored by Dean - that I showed last Sunday). I have a number of beautiful pipes in crappy, battered cases - demonstrating the value of cases.,
    thanks for your answer Chris.So you dont have a problem with damp chamber heels.I find with some of my pipes the heel looks dark after smoking (may be my lack ok smoking technique) and I am reluctant to return the pipe to its case as I think it my not dry properly

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by paulfg View Post
    thanks for your answer Chris.So you dont have a problem with damp chamber heels.I find with some of my pipes the heel looks dark after smoking (may be my lack ok smoking technique) and I am reluctant to return the pipe to its case as I think it my not dry properly
    Not really, Paul. I tend not to allow dottle to persist in the chamber base (if necessary, by doing a bit of 'gardening' with the pick of the pipe tool as I finish off the smoke), so I really do end up with fine silver ash, as a rule. In any case, I always look at the chamber inner base before I smoke the pipe again, and, at least by a week or more later, I have never seen a damp chamber base.

If concerned, you could easily leave the disconnected pipe out to air for a couple of days, but in my case (lol!) I just want them away and to move on!

EDIT - And you will have noticed that Her Indoors is averse to "other people's old shit" lying around and making her house untidy!
    Last edited by plugugly; 11-28-2018 at 09:30.

Real Name
    Dean
    Pipe smoker since

11 members Liked or found this post helpful.

From a 'value' point of view if we are talking about cased Barling's etc, I would leave the pipe out of the case, wrap the case in bubble wrap & put it away somewhere to preserve it, restoring cases is tricky & putting a used pipe in & out of a case you run the risk of depositing ash into it, removing ash from a velvet lining is a real pain, I have tried all sorts to shift it & you end up doing what the cheap, old school grease proof toilet paper used to do, spread the crap around rather than clean, restoring a pipe is much easier

If we are talking about non collectable pipes then as Chris has said, give then wipe & clean, air them for a couple of days & pop em back in

Edit : I do like to air my pipes, so for me I would leaving them out would be my personal preference
    Last edited by Estate Pipe Shop; 11-28-2018 at 10:00.

Restored Estate & New Smoking Pipes

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Estate Pipe Shop View Post
    From a 'value' point of view if we are talking about cased Barling's etc, I would leave the pipe out of the case, wrap the case in bubble wrap & put it away somewhere to preserve it, restoring cases is tricky & putting a used pipe in & out of a case you run the risk of depositing ash into it, removing ash from a velvet lining is a real pain, I have tried all sorts to shift it & you end up doing what the cheap, old school grease proof toilet paper used to do, spread the crap around rather than clean, restoring a pipe is much easier

If we are talking about non collectable pipes then as Chris has said, give then wipe & clean, air them for a couple of days & pop em back in

Edit : I do like to air my pipes, so for me I would leaving them out would be my personal preference
    Hey Dean - shouldn't you be restorin' pipes 'n' shit!!

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    Hey Dean - shouldn't you be restorin' pipes 'n' shit!!
    Not today he's not! Happy 50th Birthday Dean, try and leave the sheep alone for one day...

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Anton

And Birthday wishes from the Dark Continent to you, Dean! Enjoy the day and keep up the good work.
    Tobacco is my favourite vegetable - Frank Zappa

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Happy birthday, Dean!
    Russ

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

There is no pipe.
    -A Zen teaching

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast