Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: A question re cased pipes

  1. #11
    PSU Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Corfu Greece
    Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since
    first attempt 1987 disaster,stopped until Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,021


    6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Good to see you back here Dean and happy birthday

  2. #12


    7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Happy Birthday Dean.

  3. #13
    PSU Member Piffyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since
    2014
    Posts
    5,824


    7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    I see Dean's point that having both the case and pipe in good condition certainly increases the value of the package. However, like Chris has mentioned, the best kept pipes I've seen are the ones that have been case kept and removed from direct exposure to the elements (light, moisture, etc.). Given the choice of one or the other, I would choose to guard the condition of the pipe itself since a good case with a weathered pipe is worth less than a good pipe with a weathered case.

    By the way, I would very much like to see cased pipes return to fashion. I realize that it's not likely to be economically feasible for most factory pipes, but considering that $600+ artisan-made pipes are fairly common these days, I don't see where it would be a problem to add just a few more bones for a nice case. I mean, those Turkish meerschaum guys do it for every frickin' pipe!
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

    www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

  4. #14
    PSU Member plugugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since
    2001
    Posts
    11,290


    5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    I see Dean's point that having both the case and pipe in good condition certainly increases the value of the package. However, like Chris has mentioned, the best kept pipes I've seen are the ones that have been case kept and removed from direct exposure to the elements (light, moisture, etc.). Given the choice of one or the other, I would choose to guard the condition of the pipe itself since a good case with a weathered pipe is worth less than a good pipe with a weathered case.

    By the way, I would very much like to see cased pipes return to fashion. I realize that it's not likely to be economically feasible for most factory pipes, but considering that $600+ artisan-made pipes are fairly common these days, I don't see where it would be a problem to add just a few more bones for a nice case. I mean, those Turkish meerschaum guys do it for every frickin' pipe!
    I agree, Anthony..........let's see more croc cases, Yay!!


    april 2014 pics 003 (2).jpg

  5. #15
    PSU Member Piffyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since
    2014
    Posts
    5,824


    3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    I agree, Anthony..........let's see more croc cases, Yay!!


    april 2014 pics 003 (2).jpg
    I know a guy in Louisiana that could hook you up, Chris.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

    www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

  6. #16
    PSU Member plugugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since
    2001
    Posts
    11,290


    3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    I know a guy in Louisiana that could hook you up, Chris.
    Alligator hide???

    Clarence at 1:19 and 2:06 - Soul as I like it!


    Last edited by plugugly; 11-28-2018 at 19:25.

  7. #17
    PSU Member Rockbass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Real Name
    Thomas
    Posts
    7,173


    4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    I can resist anything but temptation--Oscar Wilde

  8. #18
    PSU Member Piffyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since
    2014
    Posts
    5,824


    3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    Alligator hide???
    Close...

    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

    www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

  9. #19
    PSU Member Estate Pipe Shop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Pembrokeshire South Wales UK
    Real Name
    Dean
    Pipe smoker since
    2004
    Posts
    1,157


    3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    I see Dean's point that having both the case and pipe in good condition certainly increases the value of the package. However, like Chris has mentioned, the best kept pipes I've seen are the ones that have been case kept and removed from direct exposure to the elements (light, moisture, etc.). Given the choice of one or the other, I would choose to guard the condition of the pipe itself since a good case with a weathered pipe is worth less than a good pipe with a weathered case.

    By the way, I would very much like to see cased pipes return to fashion. I realize that it's not likely to be economically feasible for most factory pipes, but considering that $600+ artisan-made pipes are fairly common these days, I don't see where it would be a problem to add just a few more bones for a nice case. I mean, those Turkish meerschaum guys do it for every frickin' pipe!

    I love cased pipes as well Anthony, especially ones that are of high quailty, the alligator skinned Barling cases are very special & one of, if not the best I have seen, it would be great to see this return

    To be honest though casing the pipe & then smoking it to death while out the case & treating it like a 10 basket pipe, which I have seen on many occasions & various cased sets I have restored, really makes no difference that it had been cased, while you are less likely to see dent's, chips & broken tenons from prolonged neglected storage, you can still get a fair level of abuse

    We are now into an age where these older collectable pipes, which were cased, have survived better than those that were not, they had the protection that many never had & many uncased pipes just got thrown into the back of a draw or into a box, but as times have moved on & these pipes have become collectable & a lot more valuable, we are treating them very differently

    What I was trying to advise was that preserving the case as well as preserving the pipe is what will maintain the value & make the set more saleable in the future, what tends to go on the case's is the hinges & clasp, which is normally due to repeated opening & closing, which is a wear & tear issue

    You don't need the original case to preserve the pipe, once aired, wrap it in cotton wool if you wish & then place it in a plastic air tight container, then into a draw out of direct sunlight, this will do the same as a case & you are preserving/protecting both the case, the pipe & there combined value, but of course this is just my opinion & how I do things, if you are not going to use the pipe in a regular rotation, then case it in it's original case & put it away in a dry spot out of direct sunlight, which is what I do with my cased non-smoked collectable set's
    Last edited by Estate Pipe Shop; 11-28-2018 at 23:08.


    Restored Estate & New Smoking Pipes

  10. #20
    PSU Member plugugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since
    2001
    Posts
    11,290


    5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Estate Pipe Shop View Post
    I love cased pipes as well Anthony, especially ones that are of high quailty, the alligator skinned Barling cases are very special & one of, if not the best I have seen, it would be great to see this return

    To be honest though casing the pipe & then smoking it to death while out the case & treating it like a 10 basket pipe, which I have seen on many occasions & various cased sets I have restored, really makes no difference that it had been cased, while you are less likely to see dent's, chips & broken tenons from prolonged neglected storage, you can still get a fair level of abuse

    We are now into an age where these older collectable pipes, which were cased, have survived better than those that were not, they had the protection that many never had & many uncased pipes just got thrown into the back of a draw or into a box, but as times have moved on & these pipes have become collectable & a lot more valuable, we are treating them very differently

    What I was trying to advise was that preserving the case as well as preserving the pipe is what will maintain the value & make the set more saleable in the future, what tends to go on the case's is the hinges & clasp, which is normally due to repeated opening & closing, which is a wear & tear issue

    You don't need the original case to preserve the pipe, once aired, wrap it in cotton wool if you wish & then place it in a plastic air tight container, then into a draw out of direct sunlight, this will do the same as a case & you are preserving/protecting both the case, the pipe & there combined value, but of course this is just my opinion & how I do things, if you are not going to use the pipe in a regular rotation, then case it in it's original case & put it away in a dry spot out of direct sunlight, which is what I do with my cased non-smoked collectable set's
    "Non-smoked"!!! Eh? What!!!! Shame on you , sir!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •