Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas Stuff - Lights, trees, Parties, Family............Angst

Real Name
    Markus Wischermann
    Pipe smoker since
    First pipe smoked in autumn 1996, regular smoker since spring 1997.

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Hello,

My flat has been Christmas decoration free since I moved in, and I want to keep it that way. I don't greatly enjoy setting these things up and I would find them distracting and annoying, at least in my own flat. My sister and my mother, though, are good at decorations, including for summer, autumn and whatever season, so with the beginning of Advent (last four Sundays before Christmas), some decoration is set up. The tree, however, only comes around 23 December. With my mother temporarily less mobile this season, my sister did the decorations for her, but she doesn't want a tree this year. Will only return from rehab on 24 December. But she takes some ornaments to the clinic with her to make her room look a bit christmassy.

Best wishes
    Markus

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    - Tree has to be 'real', not artificial, family insists! Ours arrives a week today. We buy it through the local scout group (not the usual scalpers); the scouts get the profit (I used to be a boy scout myself). Missus and D#2 will dress the tree (a ritual!) while I supervise!!
    Absolutely! The main tree must be real pine. I cut ours myself from the woods out back where they are plentiful, and then take it to the nearby firehouse to be treated for fire retardance. The dog and I scout the woods year-round for likely candidates while out walking. The selection, cutting and bringing back to the house is now a ritual with its own pleasures. I think it makes the whole thing more personal.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    Absolutely! The main tree must be real pine. I cut ours myself from the woods out back where they are plentiful, and then take it to the nearby firehouse to be treated for fire retardance. The dog and I scout the woods year-round for likely candidates while out walking. The selection, cutting and bringing back to the house is now a ritual with its own pleasures. I think it makes the whole thing more personal.
    A great ritual indeed, Anthony! I envy you the experience - it must indeed add greatly to the pleasure

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

That's a wonderful way Anthony....

Does the dog still pee on it once it's in the house?

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    It seems there are as many rules for hanging decorations as there are women, who as wives become the authority on such matters.
    For the tree decorations themselves, I am the authority. I can't help but insist that the I decorate it alone. I have rules that must be followed for a perfectly balanced and aesthetically appealing tree.

The rest of the decorations are the domain of the Lady of the Manor.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

For the tree decorations themselves, I am the authority. I can't help but insist that the I decorate it alone. I have rules that must be followed for a perfectly balanced and aesthetically appealing tree.

The rest of the decorations are the domain of the Lady of the Manor.
    Ooooh Ant! I say, isn't that a bit, ye ken..................girlie?...

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    Guess what my family's TV viewing will be on Christmas Day?

Yep............"Elf"!!

We have watched it every year for the past decade - love it, 'specially when I'm half-pished!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgaucho View Post
    I hope you don't force the rest of the family to watch it Chris? I've never seen it and that's the truth.

When I was a kid it was always that Bing Crosby movie that was on at Christmas.....at least he was a pipe smoker.
    My holiday must watches are Miracle on 34th Street (1947 version), It's a Wonderful Life, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966 Chuck Jones/Boris Karloff TV special), Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Rankin/Bass, stop-motion TV special) and ... Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

My holiday must watches are Miracle on 34th Street (1947 version), It's a Wonderful Life, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966 Chuck Jones/Boris Karloff TV special), Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Rankin/Bass, stop-motion TV special) and ... Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas.
    Yep, The Grinch is also a must at Chez Pluggie.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Markus1970 View Post
    I don't greatly enjoy setting these things up and I would find them distracting and annoying, at least in my own flat.
    I enjoy the results, but the setup is a pain in the ass. I do it all at the insistence of the Lady of the Manor, and in the past, I have been fairly verbal with my displeasure during the decoration phase. However, I recently met and elderly gentleman who told me that he felt the same way as a younger man, but since the loss of his wife it's one of the things that he misses the most during the holidays. That changed my perspective on things.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgaucho View Post
    Does the dog still pee on it once it's in the house?
    I have always owned female dogs to avoid just that sort of thing, Crawford.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast