Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dremel Router Adapter

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    Very helpful indeed. You guys much are better searchers than I am. I have to consider this and decide whether I have the ability to cook one of these jigs up by myself. It's funny that I have made many jigs and for some reason never thought of doing so for this purpose. I have book marked that site. Thank you.
    My pleasure, Bill. I was looking to some similar things a while back when I came across that DIY table. If you decide to build it, let me know how it works out.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

Remarkable, I watched the video and this one jig makes it a router, table saw and sander. Anthony I think I'm going to leap at this! And to show you how anal I am I think I have the pine stock to at least start the job. Yes I moved some leftover stock when we moved here.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

Remarkable, I watched the video and this one jig makes it a router, table saw and sander. Anthony I think I'm going to leap at this! And to show you how anal I am I think I have the pine stock to at least start the job. Yes I moved some leftover stock when we moved here.
    Good choice, Bill, and a good recommendation, Anthony!
    Russ

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

There is no pipe.
    -A Zen teaching

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

Okay I did a lot of reading up on this Jig Anthony referred to me.

I have some problems with the design (not that I would have thought this up in the first place, mind you.)

Getting a 90 degree cut consistently is a problem, the cushion support is insulation.

As designed the blade will only cut 1/4", so to cut 1/2" you would have to flip the wood over. My experience is no matter how good your fence is it is difficult to get a good cut that way.

So I need to adapt the plan somewhat. I'm wondering whether the flex arm would have the ability to run the blade at 20,000 rpm. The flex arm secured under the table with the blade up the cutting slot. It would be possible to build a raising/lowering arm for the sm500 3" blades which will cut up to 3/4"
    Last edited by Brooklin Bill; 12-05-2018 at 22:15.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Okay I did a lot of reading up on this Jig Anthony referred to me.

I have some problems with the design (not that I would have thought this up in the first place, mind you.)

Getting a 90 degree cut consistently is a problem, the cushion support is insulation.

As designed the blade will only cut 1/4", so to cut 1/2" you would have to flip the wood over. My experience is no matter how good your fence is it is difficult to get a good cut that way.

So I need to adapt the plan somewhat. I'm wondering whether the flex arm would have the ability to run the blade at 20,000 rpm. The flex arm secured under the table with the blade up the cutting slot. It would be possible to build a raising/lowering arm for the sm500 3" blades which will cut up to 3/4"
    Yep. You've run into the same issues that I had with the design, which is why I never built one for myself. However, I think the issues are surmountable, I just didn't have the time to ass around with it to work them out. Hopefully, you'll come up with the solution, and than I'll just crib off of your sheet.

By the way, have you had any luck cutting 3/4" hardwoods with a Dremel? In my experience, the high-speed, low-torque motor just bogs down once you get into the cut. Maybe there are better blades for that sort of thing than what I'm using though. Instead, I just elected for a 10" portable table saw.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

[QUOTEBy the way, have you had any luck cutting 3/4" hardwoods with a Dremel?][/QUOTE]

Hell no, I'm a spoiled 10" table saw, band saw, rough plane, edge plane, bench router, hand router, drill press and multiple sanders. I don't even know why I have a Dremel? But I'm glad I moved it with me.

In theory what do you think of the flex arm running a 3" blade? Because of the tool shape and clearance under the table plus table thickness this is the only way I think cutting 1/2" stock works (hard or soft should work). Or I'm wasting my time.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

Hell no, I'm a spoiled 10" table saw, band saw, rough plane, edge plane, bench router, hand router, drill press and multiple sanders. I don't even know why I have a Dremel? But I'm glad I moved it with me.

In theory what do you think of the flex arm running a 3" blade? Because of the tool shape and clearance under the table plus table thickness this is the only way I think cutting 1/2" stock works (hard or soft should work). Or I'm wasting my time.
    You would definitely get more clearance with the flex shaft, but I don't think the motor of the Dremel is up to what you want to do. As a router, I can see a lot of potential in that jig, but as a saw, much less so. I think the absence of true rigidity in the blade mount would always cause a problem with the angle of the cut. If the blade shifts even slightly between cuts for a joint, the whole project will be completely buggered.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS

Real Name
    John
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Bill have you considered using a 18 volt Ryobi circular saw with a jig which would serve as a small table saw?
    You can't push a rope, teach a rock, or inject common sense

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

To be honest I didn't consider a circular saw until late yesterday when I came to the conclusion that the jig wouldn't function like I wanted it to. I needed to get through 1/2" on the softer wood category. I don't think I would get the accuracy or service from it. I do think it will work quite well as a router for my purposes and therefore doesn't need to be as elaborate as the plans if it doesn't have to act as double duty saw.

I have ordered a 3" blade, a new addition to their product line and I will try the Dremel out freehand on some 1/2" stock and see how it does to decide further action.

reference @ Dremel https://www.dremel.com/en_US/product...-carbide-wheel

Of note as well there is the multi-purpose cutting "bit" they have for straight cutting which can be used through a router set up as well. I will test that out as well. It would need a sturdy fence and a bit larger design for the table.

Dremel reference: https://www.dremel.com/en_US/product...se-cutting-bit

That Ryobi gets great ratings and I see the probability likely that I will end up going with your suggestion John. Added advantage of no electrical cables!!

I think it's a go for the router and I'll design a table using the best idea from these plans ..saw still on the drawing board.

Thanks for the advice.
    Last edited by Brooklin Bill; 12-06-2018 at 20:05.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12