Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 52

Thread: 1961 "Ivarsson Product" Sandblast Pipe, Shape #19

  1. #11
    PSU Member plugugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since
    2001
    Posts
    11,289


    10 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by AntonB View Post
    I like it! Oh, so very much! Enjoy your piece of history, Sir.
    I certainly will, Anton. It is now racked together with my 50's Stanwells, at least three of which clearly share a genetic heritage with the Ivarsson Product.

    It will be smoked this evening.

  2. #12
    PSU Owner dmcmtk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NY, US
    Real Name
    Dave
    Posts
    8,930


    12 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Nice job Dean. It's always nice when the internals are in excellent condition, especially with an "older" pipe. My last Larsen 41, from the same time period, was the same. Chris, smoke it and enjoy it. Itemize it on your Homeowner's Insurance, and Bob's your uncle.



    We should send the pictures to pipedia. It's a rare shape, like I said in the other thread, the only example I've ever seen other than the catalog. I can do it if you want.

  3. #13
    PSU Member Estate Pipe Shop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Pembrokeshire South Wales UK
    Real Name
    Dean
    Pipe smoker since
    2004
    Posts
    1,157


    12 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Thanks for the kind words gents
    It was a pleasure to work on & possibly the most nervous I have been working on a pipe & I have worked on lots of rare & expensive collectables, but for some reason this one I was glad to see packaged up & on it's way back to Chris, it is most certainly a very special piece & I know how much it is going to be appreciated
    Hope it gives you many years of pleasure buddy :)
    Last edited by Estate Pipe Shop; 12-06-2018 at 17:45.


    Restored Estate & New Smoking Pipes

  4. #14
    PSU Member plugugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since
    2001
    Posts
    11,289


    9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by dmcmtk View Post
    Nice job Dean. It's always nice when the internals are in excellent condition, especially with an "older" pipe. My last Larsen 41, from the same time period, was the same. Chris, smoke it and enjoy it. Itemize it on your Homeowner's Insurance, and Bob's your uncle.



    We should send the pictures to pipedia. It's a rare shape, like I said in the other thread, the only example I've ever seen other than the catalog. I can do it if you want.
    Dave, I would be very happy for Dean's great photos to be sent to pipedia, and even happier if you would do it!!! LOL

  5. #15
    PSU Member plugugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since
    2001
    Posts
    11,289


    8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Estate Pipe Shop View Post
    Thanks for the kind words gents
    It was a pleasure to work on & possibly the most nervous I have been working on a pipe & I have worked on lots of rare & expensive collectables, but for some reason this one I was glad to see packaged up & on it's way back to Chris, it is most certainly a very special piece & I know how much it is going to be appreciated
    Hope it gives you many years of pleasure buddy :)
    I think it should be noted here that I have won a few eBay "steals" over the years, and this is clearly one. Most of my Centuria are estate pipes won on eBay - I would never have bid on them without the knowledge that Alan Chestnutt (first) and (more recently) Dean Wakeman would restore them to the highest standard.

    I thank you for this one, Dean, and for many others in the past.

  6. #16
    PSU Owner dmcmtk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NY, US
    Real Name
    Dave
    Posts
    8,930


    8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    Dave, I would be very happy for Dean's great photos to be sent to pipedia, and even happier if you would do it!!! LOL
    Email sent, photo credits Dean Wakeman.

  7. #17
    PSU Member plugugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since
    2001
    Posts
    11,289


    7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by dmcmtk View Post
    Email sent, photo credits Dean Wakeman.
    Thanks, Dave - looking forward to seeing if they accept it.

  8. #18
    Moderator Brooklin Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Pickering, Ont. Canada
    Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since
    1970
    Posts
    8,451


    8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    Thanks, Dave - looking forward to seeing if they accept it.
    In my mind, impossible they wouldn't. What a wonderful find Chris - just super.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

  9. #19
    PSU Member plugugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since
    2001
    Posts
    11,289


    7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    In my mind, impossible they wouldn't. What a wonderful find Chris - just super.
    That is exactly what it was, Bill - a "find".

    I spotted that the seller's nomenclature was wrong and that it was an Ivarsson pipe rather than a "Warsson". I believe that for this reason the big dealers and collectors did not spot it, because I imagine their search engines are set up for real names - Barling etc.

    I sent a PM to Dave, who confirmed my suspicions and told me more about Sixten Ivarsson and his work.

    It seems providential that the winning bidder was not able to complete the transaction and that I was offered a second chance.

    There are a couple of reasons I am very happy -

    - It's nice to own a piece of "piping history", a pipe that is in such excellent condition.
    - I like the visual link with some of my favourite 50's Stanwells.

    But mostly I love the idea of me, an enthusiast, stealing a march over the dealers and collectors. I feel the same about my £300 1918 Dunhill churchie and the £70 ancient meer that is now in Thomas' care!!
    Last edited by plugugly; 12-06-2018 at 20:32.

  10. #20
    PSU Member allyby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Scotland.
    Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.
    Posts
    14,107


    5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    That is exactly what it was, Bill - a "find".

    I spotted that the seller's nomenclature was wrong and that it was an Iversson pipe rather than a "Warsson". I believe that for this reason the big dealers and collectors did not spot it, because I imagine their search engines are set up for real names - Barling etc.

    I sent a PM to Dave, who confirmed my suspicions and told me more about Sixten Ivarsson and his work.

    It seems providential that the winning bidder was not able to complete the transaction and that I was offered a second chance.

    There are a couple of reasons I am very happy -

    - It's nice to own a piece of "piping history", a pipe that is in such excellent condition.
    - I like the visual link with some of my favourite 50's Stanwells.

    But mostly I love the idea of me, an enthusiast, stealing a march over the dealers and collectors. I feel the same about my £300 1918 Dunhill churchie and the £70 ancient meer that is now in Thomas' care!!
    Hear! hear! well said old boy!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •