Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pipe cleaners

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since
    first attempt 1987 disaster,stopped until Aug 2015

9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

pipe cleaners

This might seem a simple question,but what make pipe cleaners do you prefer?
    I ask as I seem to be getting quite a bit of lint getting left in the stem after running one through the pipe.I currently use Wilsons tapered ones but wonder if another make will be better.This really is a question for the UK based members as I have seen BJ Long recommended but dont think they are available in UK

Real Name
    Dave

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I'm in the US, so I use BJ Long, which doesn't really answer your question. However, here is something I find myself doing even with their tapered cleaners to deal with what you are talking about, pinching them between my thumb and forefinger at the thin end, and running my pinched fingers a few times quickly up to the fat end to remove loose "lint".

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcmtk View Post
    I'm in the US, so I use BJ Long, which doesn't really answer your question. However, here is something I find myself doing even with their tapered cleaners to deal with what you are talking about, pinching them between my thumb and forefinger at the thin end, and running my pinched fingers a few times quickly up to the fat end to remove loose "lint".
    I too do that as well Dave.but twice in the last few days I have had poor draw on a pipe only to find bits of lint stuck in the stem when I run a bristle cleaner through it.Maybe I should use a bristle cleaner every time I use a tapered one

Real Name
    John
    Pipe smoker since
    5 years way back in 1970s, several years now

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Denicotea tapered cleaners from MSS UK.......................

i've used no-name from eBay and had the same problem as you

regards................john.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Ed
    Pipe smoker since

A friend once sent me in trade some tobacco from Paul Spaniola's shop in Flint, Michigan. He included an unopened sleeve of old pipe cleaners which iirc were Dunhill. Noticeably superior to anything available nowadays. Cotton woven in firmly so as not to poke the chamber while cleaning, with no loose lint and with great absorbency. Whatever that brand was, they haven't made it in years.

Real Name
    John
    Pipe smoker since
    5 years way back in 1970s, several years now

[QUOTE=paulfg;281412,but what make pipe cleaners do you prefer?......................[/QUOTE]

l see you are based in Greece

i often order from MSS - I can add an order of Denicotea cleaners to my next order if you like

how many ...? they are Denicotea 100 Tapered Pipe Cleaners for 1.75

then post them to you.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

l have a lot -- PM me your address and I will send you a few to see

PS l've checked with Ben - they will ship to Europe (but not tobacco)
    Last edited by John McP; 12-07-2018 at 17:54.

regards................john.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by John McP View Post
    l see you are based in Greece

i often order from MSS - I can add an order of Denicotea cleaners to my next order if you like

how many ...? they are Denicotea 100 Tapered Pipe Cleaners for 1.75

then post them to you.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

l have a lot -- PM me your address and I will send you a few to see

PS l've checked with Ben - they will ship to Europe (but not tobacco)
    Thank you for the offer John.I can actually get Denicotea cleaners here in Greece.I have just never tried them.I have always just added some cleaners to my twice a year UK order that my friends bring out to me.I have just looked at my smoking shop webpage were I usually order from and find both Denicotea and bj long are stocked by them.I will add some of each to my next order but in the mean time get some Denicotea ones locally

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Good question Paul.

Have to admit with me mostly being a Falcon user I'm not exactly fastidious when it comes to pipe cleaning....more a case of when I remember rather than any desire for cleanliness I'm embarrassed to say.
    However in my defence there is a reason for that. Where I live pipe cleaners are actually very hard to find in shops. In my town which has a population of 70,000 there are only two shops I know of that sell them which of course means they charge you a ruddy fortune for them. Big Ben are the brand most often seen here as well as in Buenos Aires. The only other brand I've seen at Vauen which also come at an inflated price.
    Unfortunately, due to their thickness they are no use for my old City de Luxe and Gordon pipes so I can't use them. Luckily, I found some pipe cleaners in a box that my brother in law in the UK had ordered me last time I was over and they work fine. They were cheap as chips on Ebay so I must get him to order some more next time I'm over.

Good news is I've recently seen online they are now selling multi coloured pipe cleaners under kids toys here (they make things like spiders with them) which cost a fraction of the price of Big Ben so I plan on getting hold of them to give them a try.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I don't rate denicotea cleaners, myself. (Too limp & fluffy) Kendal deluxe from G&Hs are the ones you want, Paul. I buy them from the wholesalers 'Bookers' here in England. Much cheaper than the online shops. Parkers & Petersons are, I suppose slightly better quality, but more expensive obviously.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Anton

Here on the Dark Continent, I'm quite happy with my Newport conicals produced in the UK

newportpipecleaners100.jpg

and Dunhill's from a local B&M:

58-DHPA3217d2.jpg
    Tobacco is my favourite vegetable - Frank Zappa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast