Thread: moving away from AROs..?

Real Name
    John
    Pipe smoker since
    5 years way back in 1970s, several years now

10 members Liked or found this post helpful.

moving away from AROs..?

is this a normal progression - or not.?

i started off with many samples of AROs - chocolate, honey, cherry, peach and the ubiquitous vanilla

however l'm now more partial to Virginia in that l'm smoking Germain's Gold Leaf and Brown Flake, SG Golden Glow and GH Brown Flake

just finished SG FVF in my Barling meer........excellent

comments..?

regards................john.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Yeah, lots of people do that. They're drawn to the wonderful aromas, but then seek bolder flavors. I did the same, except that I came back to them over time and now they in their proper place among the rest. I learned that aromatics are a poor (though common) starting point for new pipes smokers. Aromatics, possibly more than any other genre of pipe tobacco, really require some experience to enjoy.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

11 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I started out the same way, John. My first pipe tobacco was Amphora back in the early '70s, then Sail, Captain Black, etc. When I went to the pipe full-time, about eight years ago, I smoked mainly English-type lat blends and an aro from time to time. Once I tried Dunhill Flake, that was it. I was hooked on VA flakes and now I only smoke those and VaPers.
    Russ

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

There is no pipe.
    -A Zen teaching

Real Name
    John
    Pipe smoker since
    5 years way back in 1970s, several years now

9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Piffyr View Post
    Yeah, lots of people do that..................
    Quote Originally Posted by coalsmoke View Post
    I started out the same way, John. ........
    thanks both for the replies

I've read that Virginia improves with age. 2-3 years or longer.??

unfortunately I dont have the money (or time left haha.) to lay down a 10year cellar
    so l'm smoking them as bought

but I will buy a few tins to store once l decide on my favourite flake

regards................john.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Jonathan
    Pipe smoker since
    On and off for 43 years

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I myself loathe Aros. To me they always smoke hot and make my pipes sweat and gurgle. I stick with English and Oriental blends. They smoke drier for me and are more enjoyable.

Jon

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I quite like the odd aromatic as in the SG/GH type ones. The MacBaren/Borkum Riff aros are far too bitey for me no matter how I smoke them. I do have a soft spot for Borkum Cherry though. Still got a pouch of it unopened that I've had for many years which I shall be opening soon just to stop having it hanging about.

Real Name
    Dave

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Hmmm... I've been smoking Rattray's Exotic Orange (Exotic Passion in Europe) recently from a tin I opened a few months ago. The aromatic aspects of the tobacco were very up front when I first opened the tin, however having just left the tobacco in the tin, it has mellowed quite a bit, and it's now excellent! Exploring some other quality aros to try, taking a look at Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream, and Davidoff Danish Mixture, I think I'm going to have to order a couple of tins of these two...

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Ed
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

When it comes to pipe smoking there's no such thing as normal and perhaps there shouldn't be. I started with aros only, back in the dawn of time, moved to English and Balkans (particularly Balkans), then some burleys and, as quality aromatics became known and available to me, I began to enjoy those. I merely learned to appreciate the difference between the old overcased tonguebiters and the good ones. Nowadays my tastes are fully eclectic and I rule out no tobacco category, but I do tend to go seasonal with specific types. That was my trajectory, or arc if you will. Surely you will have yours to discover. And that's part of the fun of this hobby.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Jonathan
    Pipe smoker since
    On and off for 43 years

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeaward View Post
    When it comes to pipe smoking there's no such thing as normal and perhaps there shouldn't be. I started with aros only, back in the dawn of time, moved to English and Balkans (particularly Balkans), then some burleys and, as quality aromatics became known and available to me, I began to enjoy those. I merely learned to appreciate the difference between the old overcased tonguebiters and the good ones. Nowadays my tastes are fully eclectic and I rule out no tobacco category, but I do tend to go seasonal with specific types. That was my trajectory, or arc if you will. Surely you will have yours to discover. And that's part of the fun of this hobby.
    That is a GREAT story on how Your tobacco tastes have grown and matured over your pipe smoking enjoyment. This is about how the majority but NOT ALL of us pipe smokers have followed our tastes as we grew and learned to appreciate better styles and makes of tobaccos.

Jon

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Ed
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by etecjon View Post
    That is a GREAT story on how Your tobacco tastes have grown and matured over your pipe smoking enjoyment. This is about how the majority but NOT ALL of us pipe smokers have followed our tastes as we grew and learned to appreciate better styles and makes of tobaccos.

Jon
    True, and that was My purpose. To give the original poster an Idea of One Person's trajectory and in the process to note that there is no One road to the development of pipe tobacco enjoyment and that no one should be hectored into believing that he or she must follow just one road. It's also true, I believe, in many other things in life. That said, I also believe that my road is the absolute best.
    Last edited by Zeaward; 12-22-2018 at 02:57.