Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charatan Tobaccos (Thoughts)

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

12 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Charatan Tobaccos (Thoughts)

This is not a review just my thoughts.

Charatan Flake = Dunhill Flake.

Same size of Flake, looks the same, smells the same, I'm very hopeful so far on this one, Rubbed it out and let it dry off as per usual with most of my flakes and stuffed and smoked, Smoked back to back bowls in different pipes, Same burning rate as the Dunhill, Aroma the same and pleased to say this is the same taste as well, a fitting tribute to the now defunct Dunhill Flake, this is certainly a new must for me on the next orders, I'll concentrate more now on the Charatan Rolls and post this at a later date.

Jim was at me to try the Royal Yacht but I never got round to it in time but I do have the replacement Charatan to try but I'll let someone else share their thoughts on that one, Same goes for the Elizabethan Mixture, tried this when Dunhill first released it and thought the tobacco was very green and never got round to buying it again but thought I would try the Charatan equivalent.

Pipe smoker since

10 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Looking forward to more thoughts on these.
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

10 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Thanks Ally good to know.

Dunhill Flake wasn't available here so I never got a chance to try it. Royal Yacht which I have tried is still available as are quite a few of the others. It'll be interesting to see once they run out if they replace them with the Charatan equivalents. I would like to try the Black flake.
    Last edited by Scottishgaucho; 12-22-2018 at 11:07.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Glad to hear you're happy with it ally, must be a relief for you.
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

12 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Charatan Rolls = Dunhill Navy Rolls.

The flake has an obvious difference in looks with the Charatan Rolls having a Cavendish centre, tin odour, Charatan has an earthy slightly plummy smell but the DNR has a more pronounced plummy fruity smell.

Rubbed out and dried a bit before smoking in two RDP Pipes, the Charatan Rolls is a great Vaper, first thoughts yesterday were, it's the same taste but after going back to it I would say it's just a little sweeter than the DNR, also DNR quality and smoothness in the tobacco just shines through a bit more for me, Not the same but very close.

Overall I still love the Charatan Rolls and I'll buy this again without a doubt, give it a go and try it but for me it's nearer PS LBEF than DNR.

Once more this is just my thoughts and not a review.
    Last edited by allyby; 12-22-2018 at 18:44.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Good stuff ally!
    What I'd like to know is if the PS bulls eye is similar to, or the exact same as the defunct Orlik bulls eye? I've never tried the PS, but would get some, if it's as good as the Orlik.
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    Good stuff ally!
    What I'd like to know is if the PS bulls eye is similar to, or the exact same as the defunct Orlik bulls eye? I've never tried the PS, but would get some, if it's as good as the Orlik.
    Just as good Simon, go for it mate.

Real Name
    Markus Wischermann
    Pipe smoker since
    First pipe smoked in autumn 1996, regular smoker since spring 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by allyby View Post
    Charatan Rolls = Dunhill Navy Rolls.

The flake has an obvious difference in looks with the Charatan Rolls having a Cavendish centre, tin odour, Charatan has an earthy slightly plummy smell but the DNR has a more pronounced plummy fruity smell.

Rubbed out and dried a bit before smoking in two RDP Pipes, the Charatan Rolls is a great Vaper, first thoughts yesterday were, it's the same taste but after going back to it I would say it's just a little sweeter than the DNR, also DNR quality and smoothness in the tobacco just shines through a bit more for me, Not the same but very close.

Overall I still love the Charatan Rolls and I'll buy this again without a doubt, give it a go and try it but for me it's nearer PS LBEF than DNR.

Once more this is just my thoughts and not a review.
    Hello,

Funnily enough, a German pipe blog said just the same about the McConnell Heritage replacement for DNR: identical to Bull's Eye. I can't confirm or deny as I haven't seen either yet.

Best wishes
    Markus

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Jason
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I havenít tried Bullís Eye or Charatan Rolls but they have cav centres while DNR is all VaPer, right?

One more thing. Iíve been out of the loop for a while and this is the first Iíve heard of Charatan tobaccos. Can anyone tell me who is blending and producing these new releases?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pipe smoker since

Blended by Kohlhase & Kopp as Dunhill replacements for UK; elsewhere they have used the name of Robert McConnell.
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast