Thread: My Experience: Tips

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

12 members Liked or found this post helpful.

My Experience: Tips

I got the idea for this thread after reading Crawford's post about freshening up a meer with coffee grounds.

We all have our own experiences in a life of pipe smoking. Solutions to problems we incur, cleaning pipes, ways to prepare different tobaccos and matches versus lighters etc. are gained by our individual experiences. These occasions are eureka moments sometimes and others are just run of the mill common sense. But they all contribute to our pleasure in some form or another.

So people let's see if we can get a list of one good or best practice tip from everyone. We need to know "the tip" and the reason why it works or why it was needed. I suspect most of us have more than one useful tip as well.

I'll start us off; The 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 method of stuffing tobacco into a new pipe to break it in never worked any better than stuffing it and go. In fact just stuffing it and setting light to a new pipe solves two problems; impatience and trying to remember which 1/3rd you are at.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Real Name
    John
    Pipe smoker since
    5 years way back in 1970s, several years now

11 members Liked or found this post helpful.

dont stuff folded flakes too tightly

they swell and choke off the air flow - completely - ask me how i know....
    Last edited by John McP; 01-21-2019 at 18:51.

regards................john.

Real Name
    Fr. Tom
    Pipe smoker since

10 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I like the advice given by John Patton's father.

"Dry your tobacco more than you think you need to.
    Pack it looser than you think you need to.
    Smoke it slower than you think you need to.
    Tamp it less, and more lightly, than you think you need to. Clean your pipes after every smoke, using pipe spirits of some sort.
    Donít worry if you have a few relights.
    And realize that becoming an accomplished pipe smoker will take time, patience, and trial and error."

I adhere to these guidelines, although I am a slacker about cleaning. I have never used "pipe spirits," although I clean heck out of them internally with PGA when I get an estate. I am often smoking the same pipe all day without cleaning between smokes, and if anything the smokes seem to improve as the day goes on. I know this flies in the face of common practice/wisdom. It still works better for me to think of a pipe as a cast iron skillet that benefits from a little seasoning.

I have another tip I got from John Patton - If something is really dry I will exhale a couple of times through the loaded bowl (from the bowl end if that makes sense) to hydrate things a little.
    "Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    I got the idea for this thread after reading Crawford's post about freshening up a meer with coffee grounds.
    Managed to find the post where I got the idea from Bill. It was posted by paulfg.

From what i have read Crawford you put damp used grounds in and allow them to dry for a day or two.Then remove the grounds and give the chamber a hot water flush and dry with a piece of kitchen towel.

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I had a really, really stubborn Lakeland essence in a briar I didnít want it in, it ruined every tobacco I put in there and it was driving me mad! It was amazing how much those flavors covered up the natural tobaccoís I put in that pipe. Anyway, I learned from Anthony that you can exorcise that ghost with vinegar! I soaked a cotton ball with white, distilled vinegar and stuffed it in my bowl overnight. I removed the cotton ball and let the pipe rest for a few days. Next time I lit that pipe up the ghost was barley noticeable and within a few smokes it was completely gone. I tried everything up util that point including the coffee grounds. Maybe the coffee grounds work better on a meer?

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

I did the same as hawky, with a positively foul smelling old estate briar. Although I used distilled white 'malt' vinegar. This left a very enjoyable ghost, which disappeared after 2-3 bowls.
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Real Name
    Ron
    Pipe smoker since
    unsure anymore

Have a old 6 paneled Rhodesian with a horned stem that had a bad Lakeland ghost. I was afraid of retorting it because of the stem, not knowing how horn would take to it so I just reamed it to the wood and used 99% ISO and cleaners on it. It didn't take it all out and I could really taste it towards the bottom, so I loaded it up with ODF and suffered through about 4 bowls and left it for awhile.
    Loaded a bowl up today and no more ghost, ODF will take any ghost out in my opinion. The pipes I smoke ODF in exclusively I can't smoke anything else in now, makes everything I smoke taste like ODF now.
    "JUST HONEST HANDMADE SMOKING PIPES"

http://rdpipes.briar.club/