Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019: Another New Year!! Taking Stock, Resolutions, Tasks, Challenges......

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

10 members Liked or found this post helpful.

2019: Another New Year!! Taking Stock, Resolutions, Tasks, Challenges......

Happy New Year(s) everybody!!

For me, 2018 was a good year, at work and at home - I am content, but not complacent, and use these good periods to gird my loins to deal with the next problem, for problems will always come along.

My task is to sort out the retirement tobacco cellar - when I first stocked it, I put the latest in the back and the oldest at the front, and easily accessible. But when Jimbo helpfully pointed out that my supplies were insufficient for ten years, the newly bought stuff I put at the front because I couldn't be arsed to reorganise the cellar - and now, I have to weave my arms through a wall of new stuff in order to get at the old stuff. Not as easy as it sounds as the cellar (under the stairs) is long and narrow, so everything will need to be removed and replaced in temporal sequence. On the other hand, it will be interesting to see what is disinterred - I really don't have a clear idea of what the depths hold.

My challenges relate to work - the new builds, refurbishments and staff movements are indeed daunting. I already know, from an e-mail on Christmas Eve, that health & safety issues mean that much of December's work may need to be redone. But I have a great team, and compared to past worries, when patient's lives were at stake, these are are trivial.

My resolution? To punctuate less!! For a chap that is supposed to be edjicated, I really am shite at punctuation - must try harder!! Oh, and walk the dog more often - missus does most of the dog walking. Oh, and getting back to the "No Wine on Weekdays" policy - went through cases of the stuff over the past two weeks!
    Last edited by plugugly; 01-01-2019 at 09:38.

Real Name
    John
    Pipe smoker since
    5 years way back in 1970s, several years now

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

''....I really don't have a clear idea of what the depths hold....''

a spreadsheet could list

what I have
    storage dates
    what l like
    what l need to reorder
    what l need to try
    etc etc

regards................john.

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post

My resolution? To punctuate less!! For a chap that is supposed to be edjicated, I really am shite at punctuation - must try harder!! !
    My end of term school reports were full of ''must try harder''....still sends a shiver down my spine whenever I see it.

2018 was just another year for me to be honest and wasn't memorable for anything good or bad. Even though I have lacked enthusiasm for it it's been nice seeing the pleasure my wife has gained from her countryside house refurb project. That'll carry on into the new year while I go swanning off to the UK for a couple of weeks.
    Despite finding long haul air travel all a chore it'll be worth making the journey back to the UK again...four years between visits is too long.

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgaucho View Post
    My end of term school reports were full of ''must try harder''....still sends a shiver down my spine whenever I see it.

2018 was just another year for me to be honest and wasn't memorable for anything good or bad. Even though I have lacked enthusiasm for it it's been nice seeing the pleasure my wife has gained from her countryside house refurb project. That'll carry on into the new year while I go swanning off to the UK for a couple of weeks.
    Despite finding long haul air travel all a chore it'll be worth making the journey back to the UK again...four years between visits is too long.
    If you happen to come our way, Crawford, you know where to find Ally and me - The Cuddy Brae!!

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Indeed Chris...it would be a pleasure to meet you both. Finding the Cuddy Brae could be a bit of an adventure though. Shall have to get the OS map and compass out.

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Indeed Chris...it would be a pleasure to meet you both. Finding the Cuddy Brae could be a bit of an adventure though. Shall have to get the OS map and compass out.
    We can easily identify another place that won't overtax your outmoded skills!

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

We can easily identify another place that won't overtax your outmoded skills!
    My millennial niece lives in Leith. I'm sure she'll point her old fool of an uncle in the right direction or give me a lift.

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

My millennial niece lives in Leith. I'm sure she'll point her old fool of an uncle in the right direction or give me a lift.
    Or we'll come and find you, Leith is not short of good pubs!!

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Or we'll come and find you, Leith is not short of good pubs!!
    So she's always telling me. She's a lawyer so I suspect her idea of a good pub might not be the same as mine never mind Ally's. We can sort something out as soon as I firm up the travel dates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast