Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tobacco Tax/Australia

Hybrid View

Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since
    85 off and on

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Tobacco Tax/Australia

So its been a while since I have imported any tobacco but my need to fill the cellar and resupply with many of my favourites is fast approaching. A quick check of the Australian Tax Office informs me that they currently charge $1076.35 worth of tax on every kilogram of tobacco imported in addition to freight and purchase price. My mind is now working overtime on how best to run the gauntlet in a vain attempt for my order to be missed and pushed through as general freight. I'm now also curious to know what other countries tax smokers?, is Australia the most heavily taxed in the world?
    Life is a hard master, it gives the task first, the lesson after!

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I feel your pain....despite what it states in the published rules here the customs bastardos impound everything sent from abroad. I tested the system a few years ago. I ordered 2 packets of loose tea from the British Corner Shop in the UK...total price including delivery came to well below the 20 limit they're supposed to allow you to receive. 8 months after the BCS had informed me my package had been dispatched I got a message from customs saying my package had been impounded, inspected and was now ready for me to collect in person from their office in Buenos Aires. Not only would I have to make a six hour round trip to the capital to wait a few hours in a queue I also had to cough up a release fee before they would hand it over.
    I cursed for half an hour told my wife her country stank of corruption and gave up any idea of ordering some Condor. Quicker to fly over myself and buy it.
    Last edited by Scottishgaucho; 01-30-2019 at 15:02.

Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since
    85 off and on

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgaucho View Post
    I feel your pain....despite what it states in the published rules here the customs bastardos impound everything sent from abroad. I tested the system a few years ago. I ordered 2 packets of loose tea from the British Corner Shop in the UK...total price including delivery came to well below the 20 limit they're supposed to allow you to receive. 8 months after the BCS had informed me my package had been dispatched I got a message from customs saying my package had been impounded, inspected and was now ready for me to collect in person from their office in Buenos Aires. Not only would I have to make a six hour round trip to the capital to wait a few hours in a queue I also had to cough up a release fee before they would hand it over.
    I cursed for half an hour told my wife her country stank of corruption and gave up any idea of ordering some Condor. Quicker to fly over myself and buy it.
    Hey Crawford, thats what they do here. Hold it, send a letter and you pay online then they release it and it continues on. Worst part is the letter gets lost or delayed they destroy the package after a certain amount of time. So one needs to work fast once the letter is received!

Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since
    85 off and on

Just some insight for you all. These are current retail prices for a couple of popular pipe tobaccos.
    Mac Barren
    Vanilla Cream 50 gm $81.00
    Plum Cake 50 gm $85.00
    Cornell and Diehl
    All tins are $95.00
    Dunhill
    EMP $91.00
    Last edited by VDL_PIPER; 01-30-2019 at 19:39.

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

Quote Originally Posted by VDL_PIPER View Post
    Just some insight for you all. These are current retail prices for a couple of popular pipe tobaccos.
    Mac Barren
    Vanilla Cream 50 gm $81.00
    Plum Cake 50 gm $85.00
    Cornell and Diehl
    All tins are $95.00
    Dunhill
    EMP $91.00
    That is ridiculous....makes the prices here for the same blends look not too bad.

Tins of SG/GH/Dunhill/Peterson blends are around the same here as they are in the UK. Pouch tobacco however is a lot cheaper than the UK though. Thankfully you can also get a few SG blends which come in 50gr pouches and FVF is one of them. The pouches cost about 30% less than the tin.

Real Name
    Steve
    Pipe smoker since

I know a fellow in Oz who occasionally imports tobacco and gets away with it. But, you have to order from an outfit that doesn't have tobacco or smoking in their name, or send a customs form along. The 2 I know of are 4noggins and cup O' Joes .
    www.custompipestems.com pipe stems replaced, designed and modified

Real Name
    Sonny
    Pipe smoker since
    Since 2016

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

So its been a while since I have imported any tobacco but my need to fill the cellar and resupply with many of my favourites is fast approaching. A quick check of the Australian Tax Office informs me that they currently charge $1076.35 worth of tax on every kilogram of tobacco imported in addition to freight and purchase price. My mind is now working overtime on how best to run the gauntlet in a vain attempt for my order to be missed and pushed through as general freight. I'm now also curious to know what other countries tax smokers?, is Australia the most heavily taxed in the world?
    I read that and about choked on my coffee...

They actually charge almost $1100.00 in taxes, tarriffs, what have you, to bring in 2.2 lbs of tobacco...Is that the price that they charge on Every tobacco import?

Like say I ran a tobacco shop and had to order more XYZ Flake or something from the States, I would be charged that on my order? Which means that I would have to in turn pass that cost on to my customers?

One pound is 453 grams according to the convert-o-matic on google. So that works out to $1.10 per gram. So a 50 gram tin would have a $55.00 charge added to it to help cover the import tax...

Now, does that also count against any tobacco purchased from British Commonwealth suppliers (i.e. England, Canada, etc) or does it just apply to non-Commonwealth countries? Please tell me they don't charge you guys that for ALL tobacco purchased in Australia...

Wow...That is just insane. There is no other explanation for it. The Australian government (or at least the ones in charge of taxing imports) have gone completely stark raving mad. The should all be committed to an institution...now.

Had I a good crew and a fast blockade runner, I would bring you a veritable bounty of tobacco...but until then, I hope that all will work out well.

(Had to edit it...after looking at my math, I had to change it...all good now, I think)
    Last edited by McGyver; 01-30-2019 at 16:25.
    Take care and check six!

McGyver

"If it ain't broke, you haven't tried hard enough yet"

Pipe Smoking - The next Extreme Sport - Where else can you take something that can cost almost as much as a car, fill it with combustible material, and light it on fire...for enjoyment!

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

These are the rates for bringing a foreign purchase back from outside Canada:

As of 12:01 a.m., March 29, 2018, the current tax rates are:
    18.475 per cigarette
    18.475 per gram or part gram of tobacco product other than cigarettes and cigars
    56.6 per cent of the taxable price of a cigar.
    Tobacco tax on a pack of 20 cigarettes equals $3.70, on a pack of 25 cigarettes equals $4.62 and on a carton of 200 cigarettes equals $36.95.

You are allowed 700 grams once a year free of tariff.

A packet of cigs cost ~$13 - $14. 2 oz pipe tins between $24 - $36. OTC 1.5 oz packets $19 - $22

Then you add another 13% sales tax.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since
    85 off and on

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    These are the rates for bringing a foreign purchase back from outside Canada:

As of 12:01 a.m., March 29, 2018, the current tax rates are:
    18.475 per cigarette
    18.475 per gram or part gram of tobacco product other than cigarettes and cigars
    56.6 per cent of the taxable price of a cigar.
    Tobacco tax on a pack of 20 cigarettes equals $3.70, on a pack of 25 cigarettes equals $4.62 and on a carton of 200 cigarettes equals $36.95.

You are allowed 700 grams once a year free of tariff.

A packet of cigs cost ~$13 - $14. 2 oz pipe tins between $24 - $36. OTC 1.5 oz packets $19 - $22

Then you add another 13% sales tax.
    Bill I would take the 700gms annually free of tariff right now.

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

Bill I would take the 700gms annually free of tariff right now.
    I'm not sure what exact amount of tobacco you're allowed to personally bring into Argentina however I seem to recall it's quite generous. Cigarettes and the Argentine twist pipe tobacco I buy are both incredibly cheap here compared to the likes of the UK so I doubt many people bother. The problem seems to start when you import the ruddy stuff by post.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast