Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fly Fishing

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since
    85 off and on

10 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Fly Fishing

Just checking to see if we have any resident anglers present. I spent a nice day wading and searching for a spotted fellow to take my grasshopper pattern to no avail. Still a majestic afternoon spent in cool water with a delicious VaPer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Life is a hard master, it gives the task first, the lesson after!

Real Name
    Dave

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Great picture Paul! My brother is an avid saltwater flyfisherman (ok, during the Summer/Fall he lives for it!). Some pictures from the 2016 and 2018 seasons. I used to go with him on these adventures on my days off.

http://pipesmokerunlimited.com/showt...ight=mahi+mahi

http://pipesmokerunlimited.com/showt...ight=mahi+mahi

We definitely have some freshwater fisherman here also!

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since
    85 off and on

Nice fish Dave, would be sensational on light tackle. Hopefully next time I post there will be a fish
    Life is a hard master, it gives the task first, the lesson after!

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I'm a fisherman as well Paul although since coming to live here my fly rods have been idle. Only had the chance of one fishing trip down in Patagonia for trout where it is catch and release. The rivers and lakes there are very similar to those in Scotland so I felt very at home.
    Here where I live it's flat as a pancake so the fishing is mostly still water stuff so different from what I was used to. It has been interesting though as it's involved catching species I hadn't fished for before using new techniques. They mostly fish for pejerrey here using small live bait.
    This one I caught years ago is actually a pretty good size as they don't grow that big. Not great eating so they usually go back.

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

My favourite fly fishing spot was on the River Clyde, a place called Lamington we used to walk through a farm to get to the most lovely piece of water, no Salmon could get up the falls so it was just wild Brownies, best was two and a half lb, although my mate had bigger than that.

39676954981_ea78ec4fcb_b.jpg

4066003_9706060f.jpg

Also a keen Sea fisherman, this is my best ever a 147LB Common Skate, although named Common their actually very rare, caught and released off the coast at Oban.

phone 048.jpg
    Last edited by allyby; 03-01-2019 at 11:48.

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

Great pictures Ally.

Funnily enough the Clyde is one river I have never fished. The River Leven which flows out of Loch Lomond and enters the Clyde at Dumbarton was my usual haunt for sea trout mostly. Always bought a yearly permit.

Did a lot of sea fishing as well mostly in the sea lochs in Argyll and boat trips from Portpatrick. A mate of mine used to be a member of the Big Game Sea fishing Club and went skate fishing off of Mull a lot. It wasn't my cup of tea so I never went.

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

I am or was an avid fly fisher. I tied my own flies and still have enough feathers and mocking kicking around to start again any time. The local spots I fished were mostly slow moving shallow rivers. The best fish to catch locally are trout, browns, speckle and rainbows. But the best eating fish is walleye or maybe pickerel is a more common name for them. In later years most of these places got "fished out" and when you went on season opening you were almost standing elbow to elbow with other hopeful anglers. It wasn't much fun. But some of the best times was fishing early morning in the river that ran right next door to where I worked. I always released anything I caught.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    But some of the best times was fishing early morning in the river that ran right next door to where I worked. I always released anything I caught.

Funnily enough some of my best fishing memories are those I spent by myself on a small scenic countryside river only a few miles from the outskirts of Glasgow. No one else fished it because the trout that were in it were small. Many happy hours wandering up and down river searching and dropping a fly in likely holding spots.
    Never did catch anything much over a few inches but it was very peaceful. Loved to stop, make a brew and smoke the pipe.

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

Never did catch anything much over a few inches but it was very peaceful. Loved to stop, make a brew and smoke the pipe.
    Absolutely, the time alone was precious, just running water and birds whistles puts you in a different world. I never caught much to speak about either. Seems somehow that wasn't the point. I have no fish stories to tell; the only trophy fish I caught was my wife!
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Pipe smoker since

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I always had better results when fishing alone.

Moses.jpg
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast