Thread: Congrats, Missouri Meerschaum

9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Congrats, Missouri Meerschaum

Hi everyone. Hope everyone is well and keeping it smokey. This weekend MM is celebrating 150 years.

Among other things, they're doing tours of the cob factory.

And also of note, and on the hush hush it seems, they're releasing a 150th anniversary Corndog. You heard it here first.

Real Name
    Fr. Tom
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I will believe that corndog when I see it. I would love to see one back in the lineup.
    "Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Believe it, it's happening. I'll have pics of mine soon. It's a good looking Bulldog, and has 150th stamped on the shank.

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

Thanks for the news, Corndog. Great to have you back with us again! How ya been?
    Russ

A simple life creates more time for living.

Real Name
    Thomas

Sounds great, I'll be gettin' a couple. Miss you!
    I can resist anything but temptation.

Real Name
    Kevin
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Tom View Post
    I will believe that corndog when I see it. I would love to see one back in the lineup.
    Me too and me too. And why in the world would they keep it hush hush? That makes no sense.
    Last edited by Kevin Keith; 04-11-2019 at 17:03.

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
    Hi everyone. Hope everyone is well and keeping it smokey. This weekend MM is celebrating 150 years.

Among other things, they're doing tours of the cob factory.

And also of note, and on the hush hush it seems, they're releasing a 150th anniversary Corndog. You heard it here first.
    Welcome Back!!
    "And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
    Shall be lifted - nevermore!" Edgar Allan Poe

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

A quick pic of my three Corndogs....

They only have 70, well 67 now, haha.

Edit...thanks for the welcome back guys. I hope to be around more but life is busy - in a good way - for me right now. As for the Corndogs, the story is they brought in a woodcarver for these because of the difficulty in making them. They kept this under wraps so they'd have a "surprise" for the weekend's festivities and if they don't sell all 70 this weekend they will put them up on their website for sale. Cost is $24.99 each and they also have an "upgraded" model for the 2nd celebration in the Fall. Among other things, it will have an acrylic bit.
    Last edited by Corndog; 04-12-2019 at 15:11.

Real Name
    Zach
    Pipe smoker since

Ah man, I want one but saw that you said they only made 70...

Welcome back Zach.

I posted in this thread a link to the Corndog on MM's website. It's out of stock now but I expect more will be added soon. If not I'll take a look around next time I'm in and see what I can find.

They had 70 the first go round and sold them only at the retail gift shop during their 150th celebration weekend. From what I saw, they didn't have any special display for them. Most people who attended lined up at the front and they took in groups of 10-15 at a time, gave them a quick 15 minute tour of the place, and then lead them out the back and through the gift shop. If you weren't specifically looking for one they were easy to miss. I knew they were going to be there so I skipped the line at the front and went in the back and scooped mine up.

The 2nd day I mainly just hung out on the smoking porch with a view of the gift shop and most people I saw walked right past the Corndogs. So after the weekend was over they still had a few left, put them up on their website, and they were gone quickly. But I know they are working on getting more up for sale.

Also, and I'm most excited about this, they are going to have another Corndog(s) in the Fall when they have their 2nd 150th party. It will have an acrylic bit and be a more limited edition. Might even see more than one like a, er um, a slight bent version. Although everyone was welcome, the first celebration was geared towards more of a local thing. The one in the Fall is the main attraction.

I like the new Corndog, it's a great smoker, but I'm a little disappointed in the plastic (filtered) bit. It's easy enough to remove the filter like I do, but the non-filtered bits don't fit which means the nice acrylic bits like they have on some of their more recent cobs don't fit. And I gotta say, those acrylic bits are awesome. I don't have any Forever Stems - came close a few times to ordering one - but I would say it's comparable to getting one on a stock cob. MM knows this, and knows the smokers and not the collectors love them. And it's the main reason the cobs they sell that have them are out of stock so much.

On the other hand, the Corndogs are a different animal to make. They called in a special wood carver for the work, especially the area where the hardwood plug meets the cob. It''s the main reason the 150 Corndogs (The Bully 2019) are priced the way they are.