Thread: Radice Silk Cut Stack

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Radice Silk Cut Stack

Just got in the mail today from SPC a brand new Radice briar. I didn't have time to fire her up today and was a little bit shy about it since I am worried about burn out. I have just returned to smoking after about a 3 year hiatus and had experiences in the past of pipe burn out. Each time SPC replaced the pipe or gave me store credit on those high end pipes. I just want to make sure that a) I don't have any darkening on the rim and b) don't have any signs of a burnout. I have a Kiribi soft flame lighter and will make sure I just touch the tobacco and lift off before any darkening can occur. I will also smoke the pipe very slowly and if it gets warm at all, I will set it down no matter how many relights to complete the bowl. If you all have any suggestions I am all ears!! This pipe has a nice overall length of about 6.41 inches and has bowl depth of about 2.02 inches. The sandblasting shows extremely nice rings of grain which really are striking on this black pipe. I am excited to see how she tastes with Levant Mixture by Drucquer and Sons. This should be a treat!!
    Thanks!
    Gary

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Far more knowledgeable members than I can offer advice but from my understanding a brand new pipe has to be broken in. Some people will first coat the inside of the bowl using a honey and alcohol mix to season it. Only filling the bowl half way is recommended for the first smokes and try and avoid the bowl getting too hot by not puffing on it too much. A cake will form quite quickly which helps protect the briar.
    To be honest I'm not that fussed about the rim becoming darkened...I think it's inevitable. A touch of saliva and a rub with a cloth after every smoke usually gets rid of the worst of it.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Jonathan
    Pipe smoker since
    On and off for 43 years

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

A Pipe is meant to look like it has been smoked. What else are pipes for?? They weren't made to just look at but were meant to enjoy a SMOKE!!!!

Jon

Pipe smoker since
    February 2016

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by etecjon View Post
    A Pipe is meant to look like it has been smoked. What else are pipes for?? They weren't made to just look at but were meant to enjoy a SMOKE!!!!

Jon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Livin' the pipe dream....