Thread: Amount of liquid in humidrome

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since
    first attempt 1987 disaster,stopped until Aug 2015

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Amount of liquid in humidrome

A question for the seasoned falcon smokers (i am looking at you Crawford) from a newish Falcon owner
    How much liquid do you tend to get in the humidrome?
    I am finding I am getting quite a lot ,not just a damp humidrome but actually a pool of condensation.
    i think I smoke slowly and dry my tobacco well.i dont notice wet heel in my briars.
    i have 2 bowls and smoke Ennerdale flake in one and other flakes in the other
    I am also finding that the little plug in the airhole at the bottom of the bowl (well seasoned estate bowl reamed back to bare wood) is damp and not smoking,my guess is damp tobacco

your thoughts please

Real Name
    Markus Wischermann
    Pipe smoker since
    First pipe smoked in autumn 1996, regular smoker since spring 1997.

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Hello,

I won't claim I can give a better answer, I've just seen your question earlier than Crawford.

I suppose what you get is just the humidome doing its job: a bowl made of relatively cool metal condensing and collecting the moisture created when the tobacco is burnt.

I cut pipe cleaners into four or five pieces each and keep them in a small Ziploc bag. When I want to smoke a Falcon, I bend one such clipped peace into a U-shape and put it into the humidome, then screw the bowl on.

When I have finished the bowl, the piece of cleaner is usually soaked full of juice. So without the piece of pipe cleaner my outcome would be the same as yours.

Best wishes
    Markus

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

As Markus has said it's common Paul and I've found happens no matter which tobacco I smoke. Some blends are worse than others right enough, flakes tend to leave less moisture I find. Might also depend on how you smoke. I don't often smoke a whole bowl at once which probably helps prevent it from building up quickly.

I don't use dry rings. If I'm outside I'll unscrew the bowl and flick the moisture out or if inside use tissue to clean the humidrome. I don't find it any more hassle than having to clean a briar.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul
    Pipe smoker since
    first attempt 1987 disaster,stopped until Aug 2015

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

further to my above post i now have a brand new dover bowl and after smoking 5 bowls in it i have found i am not getting as much liquid in the humidrome.
    i do notice the hole in the base of the bowl is much smaller then the estate bowls i have.i also obtained a Falcon Dual reamer and the reamer for the draft hole is exactly that of the new bowl.the estate bowl however is like a c*ck in a shirtsleeve.could that be the cause.
    falconr.jpg