Page 1 of 103 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Wine

Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Wine

OK - who else likes wine?

We're not talking about being some sort of common sewer here - just a love for the fruits of the grape.

When I was younger I drank good claret - seconds ( Château Pichon-Longueville Lalande)- when it was £3 a bottle and good domaine Burgundy's when it was about the same price.

My love is Burgundy; last I saw of the best (Romani Conte La Tache) was £650 a bottle!
    So without a second mortgage, where do we go?

Big Oz? - alcoholic Vimto!

The best value for me is Languedoc - Corbieres, Roussillon and Minervois.

Today it's La Voie - NV by Katie Jones (after her stocks were destroyed) as a lovely Faugeres.
    Last edited by jimbo44; 03-29-2014 at 21:52.

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

My wife and I love wine but only the reds. You really don't have to spend a lot of money to get a good one. In fact I will state that I have tasted wines grown from Ontario and California grapes that are as equal to or better than French wines priced 3 x as much. I don't know what selection you have over there Jim. I will get some names for you and post later. Personally I think the French wines are overpriced and with last year's French crop being poor prices are likely to go up again.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

While my wife and I enjoy wine we drink it to compliment food. Steak and Italian really lends itself to a nice bottle but we don't go for fancy or expensive stuff preferring a solid California Merlot or Cab. You can get a pretty good wine for. &20 a bottle. It helps to have a buddy that's a wine expert and can select good stuff.
    Using Tapatalk

Pipe smoker since

Thanks Bill; to be honest, we can get virtually everything in UK (at a price).

I'm in two wine clubs (Laithwaites and Naked Wines) and also buy fom Berry Brothers & Rudd.

I've got friends in France and go there often (not as good a selection as you would think) but, travelling to Spain and Italy produces some gems.

I've had some fascinating conversations with Greg Pease about Californian wines - watch this space.

Real Name
    Dave

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Wines have gotten very expensive, but there are always good quality wines out there. I haven't been in the wine game for a few years, in other words haven't had to create a wine list in a while. In Bordeaux the petite chateau can often offer very good examples, but even they have become relatively pricey. I brought Chateau Potensac in for my last wine list. Lannesan is well regarded. My sleeper Burgunday was Dominique Laurent Bourgogne "Cuvee Numero 1", their latest release looks like 2011. Guigal makes excellent wines, from their Cotes du Rhone to their single appellation wines such as Hermitage and the single vineyard Cotes Rotie. I have not been able to really enjoy wines for the last 3 years or so due to medical reasons, and I've missed out on some great ones!

Real Name
    Mark Smith
    Pipe smoker since

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I love a good Chianti Classico!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."- Benjamin Franklin

Real Name
    Dave

Some really outstanding Pinot Noirs are being made in Oregon, this is one of the best producers, also makes other varietals.

http://www.sineann.com/

Real Name
    Jay or Jason

Not a wine guy but I do love several from the prairie berry winery in south dakota.. Really love their rhubarb wine

Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Markw4mms View Post
    I love a good Chianti Classico!
    If you like sangiovese, try a nebbiolo - not necessarily a Barolo, just a basic varietal.

Real Name
    Dave

And here is an interesting Tuscan, from one of the Super Tuscan producers, widely available, Le Volte dell' Ornellaia.

http://www.ornellaia.com/products/le...ell-ornellaia/

Page 1 of 103 1231151101 ... LastLast