Thread: Larsen Copenhagen Super 4

Real Name
    Dave

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Larsen Copenhagen Super 4

This is going to be a long post. I've had this pipe for about 8~9 years and never did anything with it. The major issues were the rim, and the crack in the horn extension. I sent Antony Cook an email about it in June 2018, and contacted him again about it on Aug. 7 of this year. Thus began essentialy a blog to him about how the project was going. I'm just going to pull some of the quotes from the email exchange.

6/27/18

"See the attached photos of the patient. I've had this one for a couple of years, but have not done any work on it."

larsen4 022.jpglarsen4 002.jpglarsen4 010.jpglarsen4 013.jpglarsen4 024.jpg

My email from Aug. 7,

"Emboldened by the Larsen poker, it's time to tackle this pipe. Going to start with the unidirectional drag, with pressure holding the front of the rim against the paper. My thinking is when I get to where it needs to be, I'll shape a bevel on the inner rim."

Aug. 9

"Progress so far. My thinking is the next step is to sand the chamber from the inside out to get the thickness of the visible rim more even. I don't want to top it more, the wood isn't there in the out of round/over reamed area. I see a trip to the hardware for some dowels and 120 grit paper. A little panic the other night when I couldn't find the stem for a couple of hours. I did find it eventually sitting in a bowl on my desk basically right in front of me."

larsen4sanded1 005.jpglarsen4sanded1 013.jpglarsen4sanded1 024.jpglarsen4sanded1 033.jpg

Anthony on 7/9,

"I'm going to advise against trying to bring that chamber into round by hand. That might appear to be a simple operation, but it's actually a shit show waiting to happen for all sorts of mathematical reasons. You really need rigid, calibrated machinery to do it properly."

my reply,

"...shit show waiting to happen..." Great... It's the only thing I can think of having gotten this far, I'll do it by eye using the outer rim edge as defining parameter, and then perhaps the "cat toy" trick for the final trompe l'oeil effect.

Anthony on Aug 10,

"As you say, locating the center is the biggest problem. You can't use the outer edge as a guide because it's not concentric. Keeping your tool perpendicular to the center bottom during the entire operation is the next problem. If you lean the tool or the workpiece a couple of degrees one way you'll suddenly be aggravating the problem you're trying to fix. Once you start chasing that error, dinner is over and the shit show begins. A drill press works though. It has the requisite rigidity and limited motion. Humans are just too wobbly."

My reply to this,

"Here's my thinking (and believe me I've gone to bed thinking about this pipe) the outer edge is concentric to the "crease" where the stummel shape reverses angle. The goal then is to increase the chamber radius to that of the most "out of round" area at the 7 oclock position; ending up with a rim as thin in diameter as the rim at 7 oclock around the entire chamber."

Me to Anthony on Aug 12,

"Closing in......here at Rube Goldberg Pipeworks "we improvise, we adapt, we overcome". This pipe is not coming with a guarantee."

larsen4closingin 001.jpg

Me on Aug 15,

And closer still.... Project is on pause. The horn repair is going to be next. I bought that 4.5 in DeWalt clamp, and it's to cool for school; it's going to be perfect for the job. I have some deer antler around to fill the crack. Also been researching bowl coatings.

Then there was some back and forth, and a long phone call on bowl coatings and the horn repair.

larsenrimcloser 003.jpg

Me on Aug 22,

"That ultra thin superglue is a son of a bitch to work with!!!! I'm at "project pause and assessment" mode at the moment, and very much in need of a calming smoke!"

"Further assessment, did I screw it up? No. Did I come close? Yes. It's all cosmetic work now. I'm hoping the mineral oil treatment will improve the appearance. That piece of horn definitely needs the oil."

Anthony's reply on Aug 22,

"What happened?"

Me on Aug 23,

"It's filled. The pictures with the flash make it look darker, but it's noticeable. Clamping it brought it together a bit. The superglue was basically the viscosity of water. I taped it off, but at one point there was glue on other parts of the horn, I thought some had run into the mortise, it got on my fingers, it got on the briar, however four hours after starting things were all cleaned up, but at one point I was using a very sharp paring knife to get the excess off. So it's filled and smooth.

I still have some minor work to do on the stem (a minor toothmark was filled), then it's going to be the staining/finish, and my experimental cosmetic bowl coating. The more I look at this pipe, the more I realize how special it is. It's a SUPER and marked with the shape number 4 on the bottom of the shank. I've never seen a single digit shape number on a Larsen, and I've never seen another example of this shape. The closest catalog shape is 118. I'm assuming it's a Sven Knudsen pipe. From what I've read on the internet all Sixten Ivasson pipes are marked with his Ivarsson Product mark. His pipes done for Larsen (?) but I seem to recall the Ivarsson Product mark on his PipeDan pipes."

Larsen catalog shape 118,

Screenshot_2020-08-23 Wo1 pdf.png

And finally I said on Aug 29,

"It's a pipe"

larsen4fin 003.jpglarsen4fin 011.jpglarsen4fin 026.jpglarsen4fin 020.jpglarsen4fin 029.jpglarsen4fin 035.jpg

Like I said to Anthony, I've never seen another example of this shape. A Sven Knudsen shape, I think yes. He and Sixten Ivarsson were good friends, and I can see how Stanwell shape 87 could be related to shape 4. I need to look at the Stanwell catalogs to see when shape 87 appears, but I'm pretty sure it's a later shape (Stanwell used shape number 87 four times).

Screenshot_2020-06-28 Stanwell 87 (Reg Era) Dublin Sitter Estate Pipe.jpgScreenshot_2020-06-28 Stanwell 87 (Reg Era) Dublin Sitter Estate Pipe(1).jpg

It's good to have a friend like Anthony to give me advice on a project like this. Thanks buddy!

I said it was going to be a long post!

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

That's a lot of work, Dave, but it certainly paid off!
    Russ

A simple life creates more time for living.

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

That's pretty cool Dave! I love the dialogue and banter!

Off the Starboard Beam, Just Over the Horizon!
    Real Name
    John
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Aye Mr Dave, I can see the work o the Great Cap't Cook be well done again!! He be a magician one again!
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to sail her by." - John Masefield

"It is not that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better." — Sir Francis Drake, Sea Captain

Proud Member of the Walrus Club

Visit http://www.reserectedpipes.wordpress.com

Real Name
    Jonathan
    Pipe smoker since
    On and off for 43 years

Great Story Dave!!!!

It really got my attention.

Jon

Real Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by PyrateMate View Post
    Aye Mr Dave, I can see the work o the Great Cap't Cook be well done again!! He be a magician one again!
    John, that's my work. Anthony would have used some of his magic tricks and equipment, and done it much better. We probably would have discussed replacing the horn if he did it (he would have loved me for that request ).

Off the Starboard Beam, Just Over the Horizon!
    Real Name
    John
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcmtk View Post
    John, that's my work. Anthony would have used some of his magic tricks and equipment, and done it much better. We probably would have discussed replacing the horn if he did it (he would have loved me for that request ).
    Aye Mr Dave, apologies lad... it must ‘ave been the Rum readin the story... got me bearings off course n confused me mates... still ‘twas a great restoration!! whistle.gif
    Last edited by PyrateMate; 09-10-2020 at 22:16.
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to sail her by." - John Masefield

"It is not that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better." — Sir Francis Drake, Sea Captain

Proud Member of the Walrus Club

Visit http://www.reserectedpipes.wordpress.com