Thread: Cake Creation Revelation

Hybrid View

Off the Starboard Beam, Just Over the Horizon!
    Real Name
    John
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Cake Creation Revelation

Aye Lads, I 'as been smokin pipes now since 1972 on n off, mostly on... n. come t a revelation in the buildin o a cake in the bowl. Many o me pipes never seemed t want to build a cake t be protectin itself. By chance one day I was playin wit the ash left behind from a flake smoke which went all the way to the bottom o the pipe. By stirring up the ash it came to the upper part o the bowl n left a white residue in place as I kept playin wit it. So I decided t use the back o a Czech spoon n pressed the ash into the side o the bowl.

I 'ave done this several times t different pipes which I 'ad been smokin regularly that failed t build any cake at all. Since tryin this approach I used it on a new, (in 2018), Peterson Donegal Rocky that Ye 'ave seen here many times. It wouldnae build a cake until I started t play with the ash afore I scuttled it. Now she 'as a nice cake t insulate the bowl as does each o the pipes I 'as done this wit.

Olde habits die hard, as I fail t do this each time I scuttle the ash from a bowl... But, when done it works grand... Once it takes the cake builds evenly through the bowl n it no longer be necessary to stir n press the ash.

Wot 'as been Ye experience wit the the dread bowl cake?

Inquirin minds want to know... Rum fer ALL!!2-cents.gif cheers.gif
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to sail her by." - John Masefield

"It is not that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better." Sir Francis Drake, Sea Captain

Proud Member of the Walrus Club

Visit http://www.reserectedpipes.wordpress.com

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I always smoke a new pipe down to the bottom to get this ash, then I stir it around with a pipe cleaning tool, put my hand over the top of the bowl whilst it's still warm and shake the pipe to coat the inside, next time I use I gently swab with kitchen paper, fill and relight, I keep repeating this for about a dozen bowls then just clean and put away till next time as normal, never had a problem this way shipmate!

Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

To bee honest, I just smoke it; don't like a thick cake anyway.
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I've not had to bother as most of my pipes arrive used. Of the few that were unsmoked I didn't give it any thought and they did it naturally.

Being an ignoramus maybe helps?

Real Name
    Markus Wischermann
    Pipe smoker since
    First pipe smoked in autumn 1996, regular smoker since spring 1997.

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Hello,

I can't remember ever having had trouble building a cake, but I did the stir-and-shake-the-ashes for the first few smokes from some estate pipes when the very first smoke had been a bit unpleasant for whatever reason. The next smokes then were smoother. I read the tip on pipes.org at the time, long ago, but also read that if you keep doing it all the time, you get a soft cake that easily flakes off.

Best wishes
    Markus

Off the Starboard Beam, Just Over the Horizon!
    Real Name
    John
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Aye Lads, Thanks fer Ye input mateys... always glad to hear wot other codgers think n do things...
    "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to sail her by." - John Masefield

"It is not that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better." Sir Francis Drake, Sea Captain

Proud Member of the Walrus Club

Visit http://www.reserectedpipes.wordpress.com