Thread: Today's Tobacco Houses....who sources the best leaf?

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Today's Tobacco Houses....who sources the best leaf?

As I sat having a 'contemplative' bowl the other day, I questioned myself as to which company used the best qualty leaf in their blends. There's an abundance of great blends out there, that we all have great fun trying out & deciding which will become regulars. There's far fewer blends however (IMO) that just 'reek' of quality. How do you determine 'quality'? Well, for me it means having a slow burning blend that smokes 'long, cool & packs a punch'. Plenty of great flakes & mixtures about, but many just missing the mark. So I'm asking you all the question, who in your opinion uses the best leaf in today's market?
    Myself I've thought about Germains, but no. I think their talent is in the blending, rather than the leaf. In particular that 'touch of genius' that made them use treacle & beer on their 'Rich Dark Flake' for example. Samuel Gawith/Gawith Hoggarth? Got to be up there, with the very best of what's available today. Mcbarens? No, not really. North American producers like Pease & Mclellands? Sorry, not for me either. Kolhouse & Kopp turn out some quality blends for Rattray's, Solani & HU for example. Yes, for my money it's a 'toss up' between the old school ramblers of Kendal & the sausage munchers of Kolhouse & Kopp, in Germany. What say you chaps?
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

STG

Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by daveinlax View Post
    STG

Certainly their Dunhill (now Peterson) blends work for me.
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

Real Name
    Chris
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by daveinlax View Post
    STG
    To be honest, I've never thought about it in this way, Simon. I am really most interested in the taste. I usually smoke flakes and plugs because I like a long, cool smoke. However, I wonder whether many houses source the finest leaf for their "signature" blends, e.g. Wessex VAs and Dunhill Flake always seem to be perfectly presented, with no 'rubbish' included. Similarly with some of HU's tinned flakes.

With regard the "Kendal Duo", if you have ever unfurled one of their brown twists, like my favourite Brown Irish, you will see a beautiful Virginia leaf with only a few fine veins, so maybe GH&Co and SG adopt the same policy for all their blends?

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

Always thought it had more to do with storing and ageing the leaf than anything else. Although pressing,casing/flavouring and blending obviously comes into it as well.

Growing it must be the easiest part.

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Seen as you mentioned 'Germains' Simon and pertaining to my previous reply. I recall reading that Germains only bought leaf which had been stored for many years which was the main reason for the quality of some of their blends. IIRC one of their suppliers was closing down which was worrying them. Don't quote me on that though....might just be my memory playing tricks!!